Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Kevin Provost

Empire Snoopy Dog House Toy Box Conversion

Here is my Snoopy Dog House that Empire made which I got a few months ago on eBay. I found it in the toy section.

I stripped and repainted the entire piece with Createx. The colors were fine, but someone had clear coated the entire item and it had turned a nasty yellow. As soon as I stripped it, it was bright white again. I added the C7 lights, which I custom made, since the sockets are spaced too far apart by default. I attached the lights to steel wire, which I formed in the shape of the light loops and screwed to the roof. The wreath I made from scratch using corrugated plastic. Lastly I added the light kit and voila'. Hope you enjoy.

I also just finished refinishing a Poloron animated Santa Claus for a friend, I will be posting images of that project soon.

dcp0505zg4.jpg

w800.png

dcp0506xm0.jpg

w800.png

dcp0507me8.jpg

w800.png

dcp0511dd9.jpg

Edited by Kev

that is super awsome cool!! my wife would love to have that!! never seen one like it!! nice job on fixing up the ole dog house!!

Wow! That's beautiful! And small enough to fit in my yard, too:D:D:D

Sigh...another blowmold on my wish list!

I really like what you did with the lights-all you need now is a "First Prize" ribbon. :)

Kevin, That looks so cool! :cool: You did an awesome job on it. I have never seen it at all and now I've seen 2. (Thanks Dave!) I know someone else asked, but how big is it? It looks like it's about 2x2 and it would go perfect with Tom's little molds. Thanks for sharing it with us.

-Jim

It's a fairly large mold, actually. It can more than stand on it's own and I would recommend it if you get one, they're worth their own spot. It's around 25" high and about 15" wide I would guess. Length I am unsure of. I will measure it though and post back. To give you an idea it's roughly the size of the Empire Church and Schoolhouse. The base I have on it is a cable reel disc, I think 30". The base will have a hole drilled in it (hole saw) for chain.

It does light up, all the lights light and if you look at the last picture you will see the light plate for interior illumination. The light string is wired directly into the light kit.

For everyone who is looking for one, search "Snoopy Toy Box" or "Snoopy Dog House" on eBay. These to my knowledge were made in the 70's, so keep an eye out, I don't believe there are too many out there.

That is really cool. From your first few pics, I thought it was much smaller. Then when you said those were real C7's, I was confused... I thought the whole thing might be 6-10" wide! :) You really did a nice job.

-Tim

I added the C7 lights, which I custom made, since the sockets are spaced too far apart by default. I attached the lights to steel wire, which I formed in the shape of the light loops and screwed to the roof.

That's cool! Can you post a picure of it lit up!?? :D

TED

I measured Snoopy, he's 22" high, 14" wide and 19" long.

Yes, it was made as a toy box, this was never produced as a light-up or for holiday decor of any kind. In addition to the handles there were two holes drilled in the roof, one on each side presumably to make lifting the lid easier. They all have these, it isn't a later modification. I plugged these with two plastic discs which I epoxied in place and painted. The entire box would fill with water otherwise.

I will definitely get a photograph of it lit up, I just finished putting everything out about a week ago so I'll get some pictures.

That is outstanding. I definitely will be adding that to my want list. What an imagination you have. It would be perfect next to my Mickey, Minnie and Snoopy blow molds. Did yours come with the light kit or did you put it in?

Jill

Edited by Jill