Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Blowmold collector 55

I Bought a TPI Pumpkin Post!!!!!!!!

Very cool, looks fantastic. Now what I'd like to find is two of those, but the ones with the "skull" on top instead of the Jack O' Lantern! Ever since I saw someone post a photo of a TPI Skull Post, I've been watching to see if I can find a couple of them!:giggle:

I'm kind of a skeleton, skull and ghost collector of sorts.;)

yep those are cool. I have one and I'm looking for another. The skull ones would be great to have also!!

Guest A.F.NUT

Keep in mind there is no real value placed on a mold, it does go up and down depending on the market and how much one is willing to pay!

Tom

Keep in mind there is no real value placed on a mold, it does go up and down depending on the market and how much one is willing to pay!

Tom

Tom, I agree with you. I have been taking this position for years. The values I place on molds, when I can get the information, are based on wholesale prices at the time of initial release by the manufacturer. The information I have on that is sketchy at best. Many molds were produced in the 1960s and are no longer being made so I factor that in to what I'm willing to pay.

Like any other aftermarket commodity, blow molds go up and down in price and there are many factors that contribute to pricing, such as the condition of the plastic, the paint, original light kit or not, and how common it is.

I've bought molds that went for ridiculously high prices on ebay.. for a fraction of that. I've also paid some very high dollars because I just wanted the mold and it was worth it to me.

I still take the position that ebay prices are skewed..its an auction site. Private transactions, CL, garage and yard sales are the way to go in my humble opinion.

Guest Matilda

Very cool, looks fantastic. Now what I'd like to find is two of those, but the ones with the "skull" on top instead of the Jack O' Lantern! Ever since I saw someone post a photo of a TPI Skull Post, I've been watching to see if I can find a couple of them!:giggle:

I'm kind of a skeleton, skull and ghost collector of sorts.;)

I've watched for the skull posts as well... but no sight of them yet... :(

Guest Matilda

i just got a TPI Pumpkin Post one Ebay- it was a Buy It Now i payed 22.99 i really wanted it!

I got two of them in the past year. The first I traded for, and the second was about $30 on ebay... I had seen them sell for more. So I think that is a very good deal on a GORGEOUS pumpkin post!! Enjoy! :)

Guest Matilda

Tom, I agree with you. I have been taking this position for years. The values I place on molds, when I can get the information, are based on wholesale prices at the time of initial release by the manufacturer. The information I have on that is sketchy at best. Many molds were produced in the 1960s and are no longer being made so I factor that in to what I'm willing to pay.

Like any other aftermarket commodity, blow molds go up and down in price and there are many factors that contribute to pricing, such as the condition of the plastic, the paint, original light kit or not, and how common it is.

I've bought molds that went for ridiculously high prices on ebay.. for a fraction of that. I've also paid some very high dollars because I just wanted the mold and it was worth it to me.

I still take the position that ebay prices are skewed..its an auction site. Private transactions, CL, garage and yard sales are the way to go in my humble opinion.

I have to admit... the psychological effect of what you paid for a mold has to be factored in as well... ;) There are molds I got for a 'steal' and there are molds I 'paid too much for'. The interesting thing is that years later... when I look at my display... for some strange reason I always get a twinge of guilt when I look at the 'overpaid' items and I get more joy when I look at the 'for a steal' items.

Poor molds... it wasn't their fault! :P

So now I tend to resist 'overpaying' because I know it will 'haunt' me for years to come. :giggle: Thus, why I am not the new owner of that mechanical Poloron snowman... LOL LOL LOL

I have to admit... the psychological effect of what you paid for a mold has to be factored in as well... ;) There are molds I got for a 'steal' and there are molds I 'paid too much for'. The interesting thing is that years later... when I look at my display... for some strange reason I always get a twinge of guilt when I look at the 'overpaid' items and I get more joy when I look at the 'for a steal' items.

Poor molds... it wasn't their fault! :P

So now I tend to resist 'overpaying' because I know it will 'haunt' me for years to come. :giggle: Thus, why I am not the new owner of that mechanical Poloron snowman... LOL LOL LOL

For sure..there are a few in my collection that I was really hot to own. I paid what I know were just plain stupid bucks. The psychological effect when I look at them is: "Wow, were you an IDIOT!" But I'm glad I have them nevertheless even though they do produce a bit of a "cringe moment".:giggle:

Guest Matilda

For sure..there are a few in my collection that I was really hot to own. I paid what I know were just plain stupid bucks. The psychological effect when I look at them is: "Wow, were you an IDIOT!" But I'm glad I have them nevertheless even though they do produce a bit of a "cringe moment".:giggle:

It really does 'temper' my decisions now... I never counted on the fact that I would hold a 'grudge' against the mold for my impulsivity! :o

Guest A.F.NUT

I am so glad I am not the only one to have those moments, and I think what is much worse is a year or too later seeing them go for next to nothing! We all get caught up in the moment I guess, but like Matilda I too almost have more attachment to the cheap ones my Dapol snowman is an example I placed many bids on him at or over $100 coulden't seem to go higher and then found him for $5 I was so glad I never got him! That feeling of getting a deal is great. I hate it when I see one at a yard sale for a few bucks that I payed a stupid amount for on ebay.

Tom

I am so glad I am not the only one to have those moments, and I think what is much worse is a year or too later seeing them go for next to nothing! We all get caught up in the moment I guess, but like Matilda I too almost have more attachment to the cheap ones my Dapol snowman is an example I placed many bids on him at or over $100 coulden't seem to go higher and then found him for $5 I was so glad I never got him! That feeling of getting a deal is great. I hate it when I see one at a yard sale for a few bucks that I payed a stupid amount for on ebay.

Tom

Tom, fortunately..there is really only one that I overpaid for that I feel like a complete idiot over (excepting of course all the stuff I see Gary finding for a dollar each in MN!) :D I should get so lucky.

I rationalize my sickness this way..better I spend it on blow molds than spend it on things that will only get me into trouble. :D

Guess we have been blessed, I have never felt guilty or bad about the prices we have paid for a blow mold. No remorse, always glad to have them in the collection and love each and everyone the same. It's all in what ones goals are. :)

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

Guest Matilda

It's all in what ones goals are. :)

Mel

Care to elaborate on this statement :confused: You do know we're just joking around... don't you? Just a little friendly banter...

My goal is to take over the world...one blowmold at a time.

Brad, you are funny!

The only goal I have is to produce a display that pleases me and, hopefully, makes people smile or brings some joy to Christmas. Its not about how many I have, how much or how little I spent, or being competitive with anyone else. The molds I overpaid for, I badly wanted..so to me they were worth it even though they do produce the cringe moment. You live and you learn.;)

Care to elaborate on this statement :confused: You do know we're just joking around... don't you? Just a little friendly banter...

And you don't consider my reply friendly? I just made the simple statement that we have not felt bad about the prices we have paid for any of our blow molds. Our goal is to add to the collection so that we can enjoy them and share them with others along with what we have learned about them.

Mel

Guest Matilda

Thomas, whats is value at and by who?

Hey... don't think I'm giving that TPI post back to you! :giggle:

Guess we have been blessed, I have never felt guilty or bad about the prices we have paid for a blow mold. No remorse, always glad to have them in the collection and love each and everyone the same. It's all in what ones goals are. :)

Mel

Mel,

This post is good enough to get me out of lurking for over a year !

I just look at those high priced molds and smile and know they are mine. I had to pay the price to own them in my collection or in my display. Over 40 years of buying/collecting molds has made me appreciate the molds no matter if they cost me $1 or $1000. I guess that is the mark of a true molder.

Bill M

My goal is to take over the world...one blowmold at a time.

That's why I have been trying to get the Governer to build a blowmold protection wall between SC & TN

Bill M

Good to see you again, Bill. Hope you stay in de-lurk mode for awhile! Like Mel, Carrie, Bill W. and many other veterans, you have some great knowledge of molds to share with the group...

Good to see you again, Bill. Hope you stay in de-lurk mode for awhile! Like Mel, Carrie, Bill W. and many other veterans, you have some great knowledge of molds to share with the group...

Thanks Tim...

I guess I'm offically back now. Great to hear from you and hope the family is well

Bill M