Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
blowmoldohio

Ideas Needed for Store Windows!!!

:)Hey Anybody that has any ideas for store window displays, I would like your help! I live in a small town, with two old empty stores, with huge display windows on Main Street. I have decorated them in the past and have used themes like -blue christmas, -gold christmas -nativity -carolers -even a christmas livingroom scene complete with fireplace, tree and all the extra trimmings. Anyway I am looking to plan my window displays so I would like any wild and exciting Ideas you have. -Note I have access to a large private collection of blowmolds to use and love to use them, so anything incorporating a blowmold or two is awesome. -Final note I am incharge of the windows and I have access to as many as 9, the smaller windows being 5 foot by 5 foot.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Welcome to PC! We're glad to have you. The store window displays sound great! And blow molds are the way to go for sure! Maybe a Christmas bakery scene, you could use Union gingerbread kids and some of the elves. Lots of ways to use molds there. Or possibly do a roof top scene, make a chimney, use blow mold sleigh and reindeer set. So many things you can do..please keep us posting on your progress once you do decide on your windows..and don't forget the pictures!

How about a "nostalgic" window like the dept stores used in the 50's -- the window in "A Christmas Story" with the trains running. Perhaps you can find some 50-60 era toys to display in the window.

I saw a store front done in a winter scene. It was all pure white penguins, snowmen, polar bear blowmolds,etc. I have pictures somewhere. That would look cool.

What about a "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme?! That way you can put it up for Halloween and keep it up through Christmas! Some Funkins, Christmas lights, a few bats, skeletons, Christmas presents, a Christmas tree decorated with Halloween decor, and to top it off fake snow everywhere! You don't necessarily have to have any of the characters from Nightmare Before Christmas, just something that has that feel. It should be LOADS of fun! Plus it will save you some time having to decorate for Halloween AND Christmas!

OR

You can do each window as a different Christmas scene, but EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) is covered/made out of candy! A local department store did that for a few years around Christmas time, and each window had a different scene. They didn't necessarily do Christmas scenes each year, but they REALLY were awesome to look at. LITERALLY crowds around the windows each night looking at the details! One year they did Fairy Tales, the next would be various winter scenes, and so on. LOTS of creativity!

Edited by disney-fan-reborn

My suggestion would be a North Pole scene. Santa, maybe the Mrs., snow men and elves. Throw in a toy soldier or two and maybe a couple candy canes. If you have access to blow molds, use as many as possible.

Welcome to PC.

I saw it mentioned, but a furniture store he did an amazing scene. She had ceiling to floor windows. Covered the floor with snow. Had an animated Santa and Mrs. Claus. At the base of the characters a train ran around the scene. Had a little village. Had life size carolers. A huge Christmas tree. And she had a life size Nativity scene that she separated the two scenes by a curtain.

It was amazing fascinated me every year...sadly I never got pics and the one year I went to get pics they didn't do it...why because they retired and sold off everything. I now own the train, but was late on getting Santa and Mrs. Claus.

What ever you decide post pics.

Here are a couple of links to displays we have done in the windows of our Fabric Store in Valdosta Ga.

Halloween 2009

Christmas 2009

July 4th 2010

Windows are 7' X 7' with a 5 foot depth to the back of the display case.

Welcome to PC.

I saw it mentioned, but a furniture store he did an amazing scene. She had ceiling to floor windows. Covered the floor with snow. Had an animated Santa and Mrs. Claus. At the base of the characters a train ran around the scene. Had a little village. Had life size carolers. A huge Christmas tree. And she had a life size Nativity scene that she separated the two scenes by a curtain.

It was amazing fascinated me every year...sadly I never got pics and the one year I went to get pics they didn't do it...why because they retired and sold off everything. I now own the train, but was late on getting Santa and Mrs. Claus.

What ever you decide post pics.

Hey Richard I know what you mean by missing your chance at owning some cool Christmas history. I was at an auction about a year ago and it was an older couple, that owned a furniture store for 30+ yrs. and they had amazing animated figures for all different displays. They had over 30 pieces and on average they all sold for about 30-40dollars ea. If I was smart and older, I would've bought them all. I estimate that I easily could've brought them all home for right around 6thousand dollars, which sounds like a lot but is nothing when you compare to what they sell for on ebay. -Not to mention the couple had a huge 200 piece dept. 56 village collection. I wish i could go back and change it all... haha :) -sweet wishes...