Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
rameyg

It's not much to look at, but it's my first year at this using Mr. Christmas "LASOC"

After looking at all the great light displays posted on PC I'm not sure I should bother posting my light show. But then again everyone had to start somewhere, right!

It's pretty simple using a Mr. Christmas 6 channel control. Maybe I can move up to a LOR next year in the budget allows. In any case here is my display. Any comments will be appreciated.

Try not to laugh to loud!!!

Great Job!

Not a thing to laugh at!

Heck I'm so happy with My LASOC I have it linked to my Signature on here. People dont ride shuttle busses from the Airport just to see my show...

But at least they do stop and watch them now and again. I figure If just one little kid smiles and likes it, It was worth the time put into the display.

Didn't realize that I wasn't close enought to the speaker to record the song that was playing. It's there but not very loud. Will try and do a better job when is not quite as dark and the speaker is turn all the way up.

Thanks for the feed back!

You should be proud of your display, It looks good. I used a 6 channel Gemmy for 2 years before I discovered LOR.

Everybody starts somewhere and your is a solid show. Nice work.

Why wouldn't you be proud of that? it looks really nice. The LAS certainly has its challenges that you have to work around. I have my first setup this year using the same hardware and it is a challenge to make the most of what it can do. And although I know it doesn't compare to the super setups out there, my setup was fun to do. Over the weekend, I got my first feedback from an "audience"...a family was driving by and the kids saw the lights but couldn't hear the music very well from the street (i still haven't set up my FM transmitter so I've been using the speaker.. but I hesitate to play it so loud it annoys the neighbors) so the dad rang the doorbell and asked if I would crank up the volume so the kids could fully enjoy the show. I'm beginning to see how you can hooked on this stuff....

...and replying to my own post...I also wanted to point out I've seen some really crappy attempts at LASOC displays the last few years...people just plugging stuff into channels without really trying to take advantage of the sequencing. The funniest was a house with a pretty decent attempt at a display...plenty of lights on the house and a yard full of inflatables. He also had a LASOC and had everything plugged into it...and I mean everything...the inflatables were deflating and inflating in time with the music. Not sure if that was intentional or someone was pulling a prank.

Lights look good, but maybe it was my PC, I couldn't here any music to justify the synch.

Looks great! Nice job. I was using ear buds and could hear the music, not loud, but enuf to hear it.

Lights look good, but maybe it was my PC, I couldn't here any music to justify the synch.

Looks great! Nice job. I was using ear buds and could hear the music, not loud, but enuf to hear it.

The funniest was a house with a pretty decent attempt at a display...plenty of lights on the house and a yard full of inflatables. He also had a LASOC and had everything plugged into it...and I mean everything...the inflatables were deflating and inflating in time with the music. Not sure if that was intentional or someone was pulling a prank.

THAT Is a Riot!....LOL

I Have watched a lot of LASOC videos on Youtube and am actually used to turning the sound Way up to hear the music.

I am also used to seeing Displays that truely look like they Tripped and fell with their light boxes when bringing them out of the house, Plugged them in and said... Okay its done!

Not to be harsh but I have seen videos of Light-O-Rama users that looked this same way, spending hundereds even thousands of dollars for giant Displays that ~Still~ look like 'I had to hurry and hang all the lights because the kids had soccer practice'

Or Maybe its just me but if I see something small like... Two matching front windows, The Left one blinks the Bottom and Right side frames to one note of music, As the Right window blinks All four sides to that same note... Then 10 notes more into the song that Left window's Top and Left sides blink to a different note!

Its great when you see somebody took the time to 'Create' their Display! And its easy to spot when time was involved just planning and thinking about how it will look to others once its done. This can be done no matter what type of Display! There are some truely Beautiful Static Displays as well as Syncronized ones.

Edited by rollsharley

Nice job George. I though you also put in the output jack when you did your mods? If you camera does not have an audio input for a mic, just tape some earbuds to the camera mic and use a radio to pickup your FM tranmission. That is how I used to do it. It works ok, but you still get ambient noise. The Belkin mod only cost about $20 (including the Belkin) and will transmit a pretty good signal when you tune the antenna.

Chris

THAT Is a Riot!....LOL

I Have watched a lot of LASOC videos on Youtube and am actually used to turning the sound Way up to hear the music.

I am also used to seeing Displays that truely look like they Tripped and fell with their light boxes when bringing them out of the house, Plugged them in and said... Okay its done!

Not to be harsh but I have seen videos of Light-O-Rama users that looked this same way, spending hundereds even thousands of dollars for giant Displays that ~Still~ look like 'I had to hurry and hang all the lights because the kids had soccer practice'

My favorite "What were they thinking??" display so far this year is a really nice large house on one of our main streets...Beautiful brick house, it's one story so it's very wide...has some really nice landscaping including shrubs from one end of the house to the other across the front. The decorations? A single strand of clear incandescent mini-lights strung in a wavy line from the leftmost shrub to the rightmost. It doesn't even quite reach the end..it just stops.

"Honey!! Look what I found in the attic!! An old string of 100 mini-lights! Let's use it to decorate the house!"

WOW I love your trees, how many sets lights do you have on them?

Glad to see others using the MR. C box. you look like you have pretty nice size yard. just keep going bigger every year. lights and drop cords you never have enough of either

The two large trees have eight set of mini reds and eight sets of white LED's. The tree itself is about 14' tall. The way I hung them I was able to get three strands from two sets. I realize that they could use a lot more strands but my budget wouldn't allow it. I bought about 30 sets of the GE 100 light LED's back in November at Lowe's when they went on sale for 50% off. Thanks to some folks on PC I found out about the $3 off GE coupon and was able to use them on my purchase which put them around $4 per set.

The smaller tree has 18 sets of 50 LED light count. The length was 18' 6" so I made the center tree about 8' so the lights would cross the top of the tree and have enough length to zip tie the ends to a round PVC pipe. Wasn't planning on doing a center tree but got lucky on Black Friday at HD and bought the 50 light LED set for $1.98 each. Couldn't pass that up so I bought 25 sets. So far out of 19 sets I tested I've had one that isn't working.

Really needed to buy the LED's otherwise the standard minis along with rope light and C9 would have been to much wattage for the LASOC. I do have two of the LASOC working together via Cat5 cable. One on the porch and the other in the yard between the large and small tree on the left side. Also did the audio hook up with a wireless speaker at the end of the driveway (60' from house) thanks to PC folks for the DIY.

Hope the info helps you out

Edited by rameyg

The two large trees have eight set of mini reds and eight sets of white LED's. The tree itself is about 14' tall. The way I hung them I was able to get three strands from two sets. I realize that they could use a lot more strands but my budget wouldn't allow it. I bought about 30 sets of the GE 100 light LED's back in November at Lowe's when they went on sale for 50% off. Thanks to some folks on PC I found out about the $3 off GE coupon and was able to use them on my purchase which put them around $4 per set.

The smaller tree has 18 sets of 50 LED light count. The length was 18' 6" so I made the center tree about 8' so the lights would cross the top of the tree and have enough length to zip tie the ends to a round PVC pipe. Wasn't planning on doing a center tree but got lucky on Black Friday at HD and bought the 50 light LED set for $1.98 each. Couldn't pass that up so I bought 25 sets. So far out of 19 sets I tested I've had one that isn't working.

Really needed to buy the LED's otherwise the standard minis along with rope light and C9 would have been to much wattage for the LASOC. I do have two of the LASOC working together via Cat5 cable. One on the porch and the other in the yard between the large and small tree on the left side. Also did the audio hook up with a wireless speaker at the end of the driveway (60' from house) thanks to PC folks for the DIY.

Hope the info helps you out

Thanks for the info. yeah i need to get more one color of lights, I need more greem,blue, red so can do some other things I want to.

I forget how many strands is okay to hook up tot he MR C box but do not think i am at the limit yes.

I only have candy canes hooked up to one and two channel then a mini tree and sprial tree hooked up to another then my mega tree ha ha tiny mini mega only has 2 sets lights on two other channels.