News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

King of Fades

Product for attaching multiple extension cords to vinyl siding

When I recently decided to do my own light show and bought my LOR controller, I quickly decided that there needs to be a good way to run multiple extension cords up to my roof area without using a bunch of zip ties while looking nice for my neighbors' sake. So I looked online and couldn't find anything. Here's what I came up with...

-The product attaches on the outside corner of your vinyl siding. It has a white plastic main body piece turned at 90 degrees. 4" long on each side of the 90 degree turn. Product width will be 2". Each end of the main body "hooks" back around the vinyl siding corner piece and is secured by either a wingnut screw with an "L" shaped bracket behind it or a velcro strap (haven't decided yet). Both sides of the product will have 5-6 places to "snap" your extension cords into place (think of the raised plastic on the plastic holder in your new box of large lights). You then can place your cords on each side of your vinyl siding corner piece and run them up to the roof or garage or wherever. Probably will need one every 2-3 feet, this will need to be determined. The goal is to have a neat and organized finish on the exterior of the house. I also have more ideas for inside corners and gutters.

All of this is still in the design phase, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I hope my description above is sufficient to get the idea. This is a very time consuming and expensive process, so if you think this is a terrible idea please tell me straight out.

thank you,

Rich

Edited by King of Fades

All of this is still in the design phase, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I hope my description above is sufficient to get the idea. This is a very time consuming and expensive process, so if you think this is a terrible idea please tell me straight out.

thank you,

Rich

What extension cords will "snap" in it?

16 gauge?

14 gauge?

Zip cord?

Will CAT5/6 cable "snap" in?

What color(s) will be available?

Are all vinyl siding outside corner pieces the same size? Ours measures 3 1/2" on each side.

"Tell it to me straight out".

I don't think it will sell well.

If it is used so it will look nice then it would need to be available in all colors to match the corner pieces. If I were to use something like this for that reason It would have to hide the extension cord from bottom to top of the wall.

The outside corners of our siding have enough room to hide 4 (two on each side) or more cables/extension cords from bottom to top. The inside corners or J channel also provide a good channel to hide cords in for a clean looking installation.

Maybe I am missing something?

I think it's an interesting idea as I currently use binder clips to hold my chords nad that looks terrible. If they were made out of clear plastic that should cover the issue of it matching the siding color. Another idea would be the same thought but for J-channel as it could be an easy way to attach lights around windows for houses with vinyl siding.

ok, I just spent several minutes responding, then lost my post somehow! I will try this again...

-planning on 16 gauge cords but not settled

-not planning on CAT 5/6. I figured if someone was putting a controller on their roof they wouldn't need so many cords going up the house

-multiple colors would not be practical, I am considering clear plastic.

-all vinyl siding corners are not the same size. I have an adjustable drawing, but haven't decided yet. Still doing more research on this.

I, too, have tucked cords behind the corners. I don't like to do this because I worry about the siding cracking during our cold winters. Also, as you mention, you are limited to one or two on each side. Going to 5-6 would be a huge upgrade and would open up a lot more possibilities for lighting opportunities.

Thank you both for the honest feedback. It is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

There is a product that looks like a downspout, it is used to house refrigerant lines and condensation hoses to your exterior condenser for your central air. My air handler is in the attic and the lines need to run down the outside of the house down to the condensor. It looks really clean, the back mounts to the house, then you run the lines, and the cover snaps over it, it totally gets lost and you cant see it. When it is daylight tomorrow I'll take a pic and post it - when I figure out how :) Now, they aren't cheap, but it's a really clean look and can run your cords from the ground to the roof.

There is a product that looks like a downspout, it is used to house refrigerant lines and condensation hoses to your exterior condenser for your central air. My air handler is in the attic and the lines need to run down the outside of the house down to the condensor. It looks really clean, the back mounts to the house, then you run the lines, and the cover snaps over it, it totally gets lost and you cant see it. When it is daylight tomorrow I'll take a pic and post it - when I figure out how :) Now, they aren't cheap, but it's a really clean look and can run your cords from the ground to the roof.

Why re-invent the wheel? Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a length of downspout. You can use large, colored to match, and reusable Zip ties to marry it along side of your current downspout. Yea. you would be able to see the cords coming out of the top of your run but I think that would be a minimal detraction from asthetics. You can surely fit quite a few extension cords and CAT5 cables in a standard sized downspout.

Doug

not something i would spend money on,

just saying.

I have a habit of just putting a controller where ever i need it, on the roof, on the ground top of house, then i buy a 1 buck can of spray paint to match the controller to the area, 

Trying to build this in my minds eye.

You said the cords will "snap in"  To me that means plastic.  Plastic doesn't last long in cold weather areas.  Gets brittle and snaps.

This sounds like either a permanent mount, or one where I'd permanently have to mount the hardware to hang the "devise" when the time comes.  I'm not crazy about putting holes in my house.

I like the idea of buying a "dummy" downspout.  It will hide the cords during the day.

My cords are zip-tied to the gutter, hang next to the front deck and are plain as day...during the day.  No one looks at my house in the day time.  They come when the show is on.  When it is, from the road, I can find the cords going up.  Only because I know where they are, and honestly I have A hard time finding them. 

So would I buy or even use a product as you've described?  Nope.  One, I don't care that you see a few green cords going up my wall.  Clearly you noticed those, but not all the frames and lights hanging from the windows and eves?  Two if I did care, I'd go for the low tech "dummy" gutter.  Three, how big IS the market for something like this? 

You wanted to know if this was a terrible idea?  I wanted to state my reasons, before I told you "straight out" 

Yes. My opinion, this IS a "terrible idea".

Scott