Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Strictly Lights

Cat 5 Splitter?'s

I have controllers in every building on the property now lol. But the house is in the center. Is it possible to run a cat 5 router/splitter in line so I can run 2 cat 5 cables out of my basement. If I cant im going to have to back track cat 5 for about 150 feet and that seems like a waste to me!

Sounds to me like you should go wireless with the Easy Light Linker.

If you still want to use wire, what you are looking for is an RS485 hub. I am not familiar with them, but there are several threads that discuss them.

Just a note that you're not supposed to split an RS485 signal like that. Nothing terrible will happen, but you might find that your network becomes unreliable. And it's bound to happen at the worst possible time (like it will work until the big night when the TV is coming to do a live broadcast ;) )

Also, just for the record (never know who is reading this, now or in the future): Never, ever, ever use an ethernet hub or switch to attempt to branch an LOR network.

Edited by tfischer

We are not supposed to use RJ11 cable and LOR controllers are specifically built for it. Last year I built a network that had more splits than a bleach blonde and it ran at a speed twice as fast as what most LOR networks run at - surely a recipe for failure but still it worked. I suspect more problems are caused by people rolling up their data and power cables and other such issues.

While I'd agree I would try to stay away from splitters, sometimes it's just the best solution. For those that want all the gory details, along with scope traces - check this out: http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/763

We are not supposed to use RJ11 cable and LOR controllers are specifically built for it. Last year I built a network that had more splits than a bleach blonde and it ran at a speed twice as fast as what most LOR networks run at - surely a recipe for failure but still it worked. I suspect more problems are caused by people rolling up their data and power cables and other such issues.

While I'd agree I would try to stay away from splitters, sometimes it's just the best solution. For those that want all the gory details, along with scope traces - check this out: http://www.maxim-ic....ndex.mvp/id/763

Are you talking about rf interference when you said rolling up the power and data cables?

While I'd agree I would try to stay away from splitters, sometimes it's just the best solution. For those that want all the gory details, along with scope traces - check this out: http://www.maxim-ic....ndex.mvp/id/763

Thanks for this post. You're the first person I've seen that has given hard data that it just might work in practice :)

On the other hand, not sure what you mean about "not supposed to use RJ11 cable" - are you referring to the flat stuff? I know that for some reason Dan said that was OK, but recommended against splits...

Edited by tfischer

Thanks for this post. You're the first person I've seen that has given hard data that it just might work in practice :)

Ahhh good one! Criag where are you - how I miss our CV vs. CC debates! :)

The issue here is that there are too many variables for either "side" to be "right". Cable quality, cable placement, transmitter output levels, receiver load, repeating, Tee's, etc. So it's pretty hard to say any solution will or will not work. Trust but verify.

On the other hand, not sure what you mean about "not supposed to use RJ11 cable" - are you referring to the flat stuff? I know that for some reason Dan said that was OK, but recommended against splits...

From Dan over at LOR:

http://forums.lightorama.com/view_post.php?post_id=203810

"In general a LOR network does not require a terminator. When people do use them (with LOR), it seems that they make things worse as often as they make things better.

Before I ever sold a controller I tested the LOR network run at 2000ft using 100ft flat phone cables (from a $1 store a great bargain!) and connected them using cheap connectors from the same store. It ran well at all speeds. With CAT5 cable which most people use we have seen very few issues even with very long runs and lots of controllers.

Dan"

Of course in a "real" RS485 network you wouldn't want to use dollar store wire and then not put any terminator but there is "the man" advocating both.

Ahhh good one! Criag where are you - how I miss our CV vs. CC debates! :)

Not sure what you mean by that - I was being sincere. I've never heard anyone say they've tried a network with lots of splits and had no issues. I'm glad you posted that yours worked.

Is this true with DMX as well?