Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Guest Blowmold Magic

My Little Halloween Collection, 2011

Guest A.F.NUT

I just thought I would share some of my little stuff that I have displayed this year. Finally got all the small ones that were on my hit list. And have moved on to the collecting of the vintage pumpkin pails. I also displayed a few of my larger duplicates. I really enjoy the smaller pieces, I think because that is what started my colletion.

GREAT Tom!!! Very nice collection!!! I have some "smalls" that my mother in law gave me that are brand new with stickers on them.. I like the little ones in the house but the wife doesnt ~!

Jim

Nice looking pieces Tom, I do like the pails and you are lucky to live in an area where you can find them localy. I too really like the small pieces and that is mostly what I have been getting over the last few months and I have a few more on the way now. Have you been doing anything with the UP small injection molded battery lighted #90, 95 & 99 Jack-O-Lanterns from the 50's and 60's? I have picked a few of those up also.

Mel

What amazes me is there are so many in the photos (especially the last photo) that I have no clue who made them. Other than Empire, Bayshore, and General Foam, anyone know who else made Halloween blowmolds in the 60's? I know a company called Gregg Products made some Empire knockoffs.... 1) Row 4 from the top - last item on the right and 2) Row 5 from the top - 2nd item from the left. I wonder if they made others?

Guest Mr. Griswold

Great collection Tom as always! I enjoy seeing the Halloween Favorites in Plastic book on the coffee table as well.

In your final picture the is a pumpkin on the floor 3rd from the right. Does its mouth say something mabye "Boo"? I am curious who made that particular mold.

You have a very impressive collection. I like your pail collection. My favorite is the tall on the left in the 5th picture. It is an unusual shape and size. I wish I had the room to display so many inside like you do.

Guest A.F.NUT

GREAT Tom!!! Very nice collection!!! I have some "smalls" that my mother in law gave me that are brand new with stickers on them.. I like the little ones in the house but the wife doesnt ~!

Jim

Thanks Jim, I can understand that. I don't have any in the upstairs of the house either.

Guest A.F.NUT

very nice Tom........i like all the new pails you got this year! can't wait to see your outdoor display!

Thanks Justin I am having fun tracking them down localy. I am very pleased with my outdoor Halloween this year, put a little effort into it this year, rather than my usual just throwing them out there.

Guest A.F.NUT

Very nice display, and nicely displayed. I am beginning to get blow mold fever.

Thanks, be careful they are extremely addicting!

Guest A.F.NUT

What amazes me is there are so many in the photos (especially the last photo) that I have no clue who made them. Other than Empire, Bayshore, and General Foam, anyone know who else made Halloween blowmolds in the 60's? I know a company called Gregg Products made some Empire knockoffs.... 1) Row 4 from the top - last item on the right and 2) Row 5 from the top - 2nd item from the left. I wonder if they made others?

I often think a lot of the unmarked are Bayshore, thev plastic seems so similar. Gregg also made the classic Empire on the haystack, but I didn't put it out, it is very cheaply done. I would love to know who made the skull with the candle?

Guest A.F.NUT

Nice looking pieces Tom, I do like the pails and you are lucky to live in an area where you can find them localy. I too really like the small pieces and that is mostly what I have been getting over the last few months and I have a few more on the way now. Have you been doing anything with the UP small injection molded battery lighted #90, 95 & 99 Jack-O-Lanterns from the 50's and 60's? I have picked a few of those up also.

Mel

Thanks Mel, I am being careful to not buy them on ebay, I tend to lose self control, and for me it's fun finding them. I have not found any of those old Union ones yet... but sooner or later I will! LOL

Guest A.F.NUT

Great collection Tom as always! I enjoy seeing the Halloween Favorites in Plastic book on the coffee table as well.

In your final picture the is a pumpkin on the floor 3rd from the right. Does its mouth say something mabye "Boo"? I am curious who made that particular mold.

Thanks, I have been trying to get as many pieces as possible that are in that book in that room, so far I think I have all the lighted pieces, there are a few pails in there I would like to find.

That pumpkin is made by General Foam. His mouth says Treat, they made it as a pail and a light up piece. I have the pail around here somewhere also. I know there is another version that is two sided and it says trick on the other, another PC member had talked about it, would like to find it too.

Guest A.F.NUT

You have a very impressive collection. I like your pail collection. My favorite is the tall on the left in the 5th picture. It is an unusual shape and size. I wish I had the room to display so many inside like you do.

Thank you, I just picked that one up this year, it is a very strange shape and very big and of course no makers mark. I had to have it!

Guest A.F.NUT

In the last pic 3rd row, who is that house made by? My wife loves it

That one is made by Empire, it is not as common.

That one is made by Empire, it is not as common.

Thank you for the info, Ill have to keep a eye out for it. Again great setup you have!

RJ

Love those, A.F. Nut! I agree that the little blow molds are the coolest. My first blow mold was also a tiny one. Think it was an Empire Ghost if I'm not mistaken. Very nice collection and they look great on the shelves. When can we see your outdoors display for this year? I always look so forward to seeing your displays. I really enjoy them.

Guest A.F.NUT

Love those, A.F. Nut! I agree that the little blow molds are the coolest. My first blow mold was also a tiny one. Think it was an Empire Ghost if I'm not mistaken. Very nice collection and they look great on the shelves. When can we see your outdoors display for this year? I always look so forward to seeing your displays. I really enjoy them.

Thank you, I really enjoy them, hopefully I will get some pics of outside this week, was just waiting on a few new molds to arrive. One is the inspiration for this years theme on the porch. So as soon as she arrives!

Guest A.F.NUT

Thank you for the info, Ill have to keep a eye out for it. Again great setup you have!

RJ

Your welcome! And thank you!