Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

I've barely started putting up this year's dislplay but as I sit here and read the threads, I think of all the things I'd LIKE to do; so I thought it might be fun to hear what others would like to do too.

For me, in no particular order, and maybe that is the problem: I'd like a train with Santa etc. that runs through the yard and the neighbor's yards too, including over the driveway - don't know how to solve the snow problem yet; a manger scene; life size reindeer and sleigh flying through the air on a cable or something; arches over the driveway / roadway tall enough for a garbage truck; a street banner that crosses our driveway; lights on my ridge line; garage door coverings of Santa and Merry Christmas; a large Merry Christmas sign on the barn; a control room like Jackie's; Beco Candles for next to my Merry Christmas sign; and, well, you know, more STUFF.

What do you wish for?

12 More Controllers,

11 Palettes of Lights

10 RGB Pixels

9 More feet of Mega Tree

8 More channels

7 spare bulbs,

6 more miles of extension cords

5 Animated Characters

4 More sequences

3 inches of snow

2 snowman in a snow ball fight and

A Scrolling Sign made from Christmas lights!!

extension cords, lots and lots of extension cords, also I would love to do a singing face for Christmas similar to the one I did (copied) for halloween

12 More Controllers,

11 Palettes of Lights

10 RGB Pixels

9 More feet of Mega Tree

8 More channels

7 spare bulbs,

6 more miles of extension cords

5 Animated Characters

4 More sequences

3 inches of snow

2 snowman in a snow ball fight and

A Scrolling Sign made from Christmas lights!!

LOL

I really, really want an outdoor 9 foot Christmas tree so I can decorate it with tons and tons of bright LED lights. I also want rope light for my house...

I really, really want an outdoor 9 foot Christmas tree so I can decorate it with tons and tons of bright LED lights. I also want rope light for my house...

Just curious. How did you arrive at 9'? At some point, won't you have to keep trimming it back every year?

All I really want this year is a whole lot less snow than last year.

I'll second that. We may not have gotten that much, but it was still too much.

3 inches of snow

Do you really want that? You know what happens when it snows down here.

Do you really want that? You know what happens when it snows down here.

Sure I want that. I love the snow. Besides, I think it's funny when everything shuts down because they forecast snow.

What I don't want is what usually follows snow in Georgia, and that's ICE!

The ice is horrible. So, snow = yes, ice = no. :)

I love the look of the lights with snow

So do I. But last year we had nearly over 2' of snow in December alone, and nearly 4' drifts in some places.

Here's my photo evidence. And that was just after the "big" ones, not all the smaller ones that followed:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1705095314451.2097142.1450070609&type=1&l=6a524328f3

So do I. But last year we had nearly over 2' of snow in December alone, and nearly 4' drifts in some places.

Here's my photo evidence. And that was just after the "big" ones, not all the smaller ones that followed:

https://www.facebook...=1&l=6a524328f3

Wow. Yeah, that much snow in December would be bad for the display. Last year I had no time to get the display up with school and an early snow at Thanksgiving. Otherwise you're right, all the December snows would have piled up quite a bit on top. We missed out on snowmageddon in central Illinois...still way above average, but no blizzards like we had in 2007.

How did your display fair? Did you wait for the snow to melt to take it down? I imagine it was March before you could even see the grass again.

How did your display fair? Did you wait for the snow to melt to take it down? I imagine it was March before you could even see the grass again.

It sucked. 4' high by 6' wide walls of snow (compliments of the city plow) blocked our entire 200' frontage. I did my best to knock down the peaks, but were do you put that much snow? I didn't even bother shooting video of the display because it looked so stupid. Fortunately I had taken still photos a few days before this big storm.

I stubbornly dug out most of the visible display and had that stuff down by the end of January. The less-visible stuff went down in late March.

-Tim

I have these project on the burner. Can't imagine I'll get them all done, but if I had a wish, that'd would be to incorporate them all :)

*Convert my 16 4-year old 3' RGBW mini trees to "tomato-cage" trees with 5x as many lights each as last year and full RGBW control for each.

*Replace my roof ridge lights at are currently C7 LED retrofits with RGBW to RGB smart pixels

*Replace my 12' Star of Bethlehem lights (100 C7 LED retrofits in white on 12 circuits) with RGB smart pixels

*Replace my RGBW net lights (primary incandescent hold out) with LED sets

*Replace my 16 90W incandescent roof spot lights with servo-actuated RGB LED spots

*Take all off the incandescent mini's off of a 12' artificial tree I got in the after-Christmas sales last year and add RGBW LEDs throughout.

*Replace my three incandescent lit animated deer with LED versions (trying to find them in warm white is challenging).

*Install the IR LED spotlights from Minion's Web on the exterior of the house to better illuminate the display for the CCTV cameras I have.

*Replace my make-shift Make-A-Wish collection box (presently a money box bolted to a pole that is sunk in a 5-gallon bucket of concrete) with a better box. Thinking of recreating *Snoopy's First Place decorated doghouse with blinking lights and all and putting a collection box on it.

It sucked. 4' high by 6' wide walls of snow (compliments of the city plow) blocked our entire 200' frontage. I did my best to knock down the peaks, but were do you put that much snow? I didn't even bother shooting video of the display because it looked so stupid. Fortunately I had taken still photos a few days before this big storm.

I stubbornly dug out most of the visible display and had that stuff down by the end of January. The less-visible stuff went down in late March.

-Tim

Tim is aggressive in digging out and taking down. For me, I tend to just sit by the indoor fire and wait for the snow to melt. BTW Tim, your photos, except for the dog, are depressing. This year Has to be better!

This year Has to be better!

I've said that every year for the past 3 years, and it has gotten progressively worse. Fortunately last year, rather than getting upset and depressed about it like usual, I treated it like a big prank pulled on my Mother Nature, tried to keep a good attitude, and made it through.

I'm not going to jinx myself and everyone else this year by saying anything about whether it will be better or not! :)

Well, if I were to have a wish list, I would like to have complete control of 6 channels on each of my display elements. (red, green, clear, blue, multi, cool LED)

In a dream-world I'd like to have a bigger yard out front, I'm about out of room on the ground and have no space between my neighbors houses.

I wish I had a more recent backup of my Light o rama folder because the hard drive in my home computer gave up the ghost. The last backup I have is Nov 2010 and I know I made changed since then. :(

My hope for 2012 is to have Red, Green and White on every element in my show including C9 roof lights. And several more static items for the non animated parts of my show.

My Wish for 2012 would be to have Red, Green, Blue and White on every element along with going to 16 channels per color for the mega tree and going from 6 mini trees to 15 exchange my 2 firefly arches for 4 CCB arches (if they ever release the CCB's) and put 50+ Snowfall tubes in my 60' high tree in the front yard. Along with adding about 16 snowflakes!

2 life sized nutcrackers for the end of my driveway

enough red, green and white lights to outline my roof and windows

6 leaping driveway arches

my own cherry picker to put the lights on the roof of the house with ease as well as my extreamly large trees.

and most of all a 5 weeks of paid vacation to do all the work...and enjoy it.

my own cherry picker to put the lights on the roof of the house with ease as well as my extreamly large trees.

Meee tooooo! My best friend has a bobcat. I never understood his fascination with HAVING to own one. But then again, he doesn't understand my Christmas Light fetish. Not to mention I could cut back a lot of branches from the overgrown trees in front of my house :angry: