Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
VegasLee

Our 2011 Halloween Display

We have 90% of the 2011 display is now up for all to enjoy. 4000 LED Lights and 25 Inflatables.

The Animations and Haunted Walk will be put up Halloween Day.

There are 25 more pictures on our web site.

show.jpg

Wow! What a display. I went to your webiste to see the other shots. I think I saw a couple of spaces where you could squeeze another inflatable in - LOL!

How do you secure the ones that you have on the roof???

Those 20' ones on the size of the house look great!

How do you secure the ones that you have on the roof???

Before we had that foam roof installed we secured 1 X 2's all over the roof so we would have something to connect to when decorating. There is a row three feet and six feet from the edge of the eve's all the way around our house. We use drywall screws through the fan legs into the 1 X 2's then tie off to the eve and the other set of boards to secure them. You can not see the 1 X 2's because they foamed over them when putting on the new roof.

Those "20" footers" are really 12 footers setting on four foot platforms behind an 8 foot block wall. For Christmas we do have some 20 footers that will be in the same location.

I like your Sta-Puff guy! You have an interesting array of inflatables. Do you keep them inflated during the day or how do you handle daytime with the material on the roof?

Do you keep them on in wind???. also have you had motors go out on them yet running them 24/7. I like your display I like the roof.

I get some serious wind in Vegas as times but we have always left them up. We have them tied down well, we use 12" steel Tent stakes on the motors so we have never had to deflate them in the winds.

Some of our inflatables are now 7 years old and we have never had to replace a motor.

Halloween runs for about 20 days & Christmas runs for about 40 days and we run them 24/7 also.

We do clean everything and blow the motors out well before packing them up each year.

do you find them to stay more "clean" if you leave them on or do they get dirty as if they where shut off and on..

In the past years they were set up in dirt but we never turned them off.

This year we rocked our yard so now there is no dirt for them to be exposed to.

Since we never turned them off I really can not say about staying cleaner.

The only ones we have that show dirt are used ones we bought from other people.

All of ours are pretty clean.

Before we had that foam roof installed we secured 1 X 2's all over the roof

Now that sounds interesting!!! I've never heard of a "foam" roof. Is that something that's exclusive to the Vegas climate?

The way you incorporated the 1 x 2's into the roof was a great idea. I just love to see the elevated inflatables as they really stand out and you definitely can't miss them.

It's truly unbelievable how many inflatables you fit into your yard. That video was great to see all the inflatables you have "hidden" up close to your house. I absolutely love the horses with carriage (it's huge!!) and the organist with dancers on the roof. Wish I had bought those when they came out.

And 1020+ kids - WOW, that's a lot of candy you handed out!!!! Do you keep count with Twizzlers?!?! I've read so many posts that I can't remember who counts that way - LOL!

Edited by Rita D

And 1020+ kids - WOW, that's a lot of candy you handed out!!!! Do you keep count with Twizzlers?!?! I've read so many posts that I can't remember who counts that way - LOL!

The two you picked out are Laura's favorites also. We did turn off the organ music though since we had the lights hooked to the music this year. 16 songs total.

No, my wife insists that each child receive a chocolate bar so we use those to count with but she also gives each child a handful of other smaller candies. We started with 1200 Chocolate bars and had 120 left. I am taking into account that the "help" ate some of the chocolate bars. :P I may be thinking the help ate more then they did. All I know is I handed out a lot of candy to a lot of kids last night.

The most we had in the past was about 800 to 900 and we did not keep a good count. This time we know there was A LOT! :D