News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tremor30

The First Negative Reaction!

Well I guess I expected it would come sooner or later but I'm disapointed it came before the lights have even been turned on.

Our new neighbors that moved in next door this fall made some negative comments about my wife and I on facebook. My wife took it the hardest because it wasn't directed so much at the lights but more at our parenting skills. She made a comment around the fact that since we have set up our lights before rememberance day we must not be teaching our children about the need to remember our soldiers and their detication to defend us. We took offence to this since we had no intentions of turning them on ahead of time and obviously we take rememberence day very serious and encourage our kids to take the time to remember. These new neighbours don't know us, they havn't made an effort to get to know us and shouldn't judge. I understand they are a little young still (late 20's) but it seems like they have moved in judging us which is disapointing.

I did however take an hour and test the lights out last week after they were done. I couldn't exactly wait till opening night to test them. So I guess to them maybe I did have them on. I wish they just talked to us instead of resorting to cyber bullying!

They should have known what was coming since their parents live on the street and we had a small (Relative) show last year and have let everyone on the block know it was getting bigger this year.

I can understand the frustration being a neighbor to this hobby because they have the most to tolerate. I'm sure they would love the show if it was only a few blocks away but right next door I'm sure is hard.

Oh well, one negative yet to come I'm sure, our other neighbor has yet to make a comment possitive or negative so we will see. Most of the other neighbors are really looking forward to the show so I know lots of possitives will out weigh the negatives but it still sucks to have any negatives.

Thanks for listening!

I'm guessing they don't have kids themselves? I was a total expert on everyone else's parenting before I became a parent at age 36. Now I eat all those words more or less daily. I suggest taking their comments with a good degree of eye-rolling.

It sounds like you've done everything you can in the area of neighbor relations, especially since this is your first year with a big display. People won't actually know if it's annoying or not until it happens, and you've already let them know that you're open to communication about it. Decorate and enjoy!

Hate to say there are way to many people in this world that love to hate on others. They have no real positive life of their own so they look for things to judge or complain about.

We have never let then effect us in any way at all. If they do it on the Internet we just like at them as a pixel on the Internet and they have no power over our mood or life in any way.

Yours happen to be neighbors that don't think enough of their own opinion to tell you face to face, they had to resort to cyberspace to voice their opinion.

Consider the source. They really mean nothing to you. I know as a neighbor you would like to be good neighbors but you have done nothing to offend them so don't worry about it.

Many in this cyberspace seem to think they always know better. How to tell others how to live their lives, spend their money or raise their kids. The Internet has made the world less social and many would never say to your face what they would post about you on the Internet.

You are creating a show for your community to enjoy. You are putting forth the effort to make others lives more enjoyable even if it is just for a few minutes that they see your display.

Remember why you do this even if it is for yourself. That is all that really counts.

Take the high road. Go introduce yourself, explain what you do and if you feel the need why you do it. I am betting they become very shy about the meeting and you won't hear another word out of them.

Have a great season and enjoy your life.

[mutter]Keep it family friendly. Keep it family friendly. Keep it family friendly. Keep it family friendly. [/mutter]

I would be tempted to point out the comments to the parents and ask them why they taught their kid to be so rude.

I am looking forward to your Rememberance Day display next year. :)

LOL... If I could think of a way to make a rememberance day display more important I would.

I agree that we should take it with a grain of salt since they didn't even say it to us. But that's easy to say and hard to do.

We have met them and their nice enough. However we get the feeling they think their better than us for some reason. Oh well... and yes they have kids. One little boy and one on the way. We thought of asking them if they were going to teach him about cyber bullying... LOL and we were going to ask if they thought they could teach their dogs to shut their mouth since they bark all day long. Or why they thought they should cut all privacy down between our backyards before they even legally took possession! And then why they looked at us like we had two heads because our children play loudly on their playset and trampoline... but we didn't. LOL!

I would hate to hear what they would say about me then. My wife is studying for her last test of the CPA and I'm home with our 9 month old son on the weekends. I bring his pack and play out in the garage/yard while I'm working on the lights. Always in appropriate clothing. :)

I would hate to hear what they would say about me then. My wife is studying for her last test of the CPA and I'm home with our 9 month old son on the weekends. I bring his pack and play out in the garage/yard while I'm working on the lights. Always in appropriate clothing. :)

Well you have to teach them young the importance of Christmas!

Now you could be a really nice guy and offer to decorate their house for them. Explain that theirs looks a little boring. :P

Unfortunatly every street has at least one, they are negative about everything that they get a chance to be negative about and get enjoyment from conflict. These are the people you should not care about as they will always find something to create conflict. So enjoy your lights and listen to the positives and watch the joy you bring to many and dont let the few grinches get you down.

LOL... If I could think of a way to make a rememberance day display more important I would.

I was thinking a very patriotic light display set to the music of the Canadian version of John Philip Sousa. You should be careful what you wish for.

More importantly, we have gotten a few LOLs out of you. It looks like you are pointed back in the right direction.

And remember, it would not be nice to accidentally point a few flood lights at their house.

Unfortunatly every street has at least one, they are negative about everything that they get a chance to be negative about and get enjoyment from conflict. These are the people you should not care about as they will always find something to create conflict. So enjoy your lights and listen to the positives and watch the joy you bring to many and dont let the few grinches get you down.

I have to agree with you there. My "one" lives on the corner 1 house down. She complains about everything. She actually went as far as calling the city

stating that we built a structure on city owned property. So when the, well I'll call him an inspector, came, he laughed and asked me if he was in the right place. "The structure" was me the day before measuring the lawn to make sure all my cut outs will fit without spilling over onto city land.

The same woman who complained, had the nerv to ask me to help her father in law unload a snowblower the other day.

So like an idiot, I did. Luckily he was done before I got there.

I would let it go. This is their problem and their issues, not yours. If someone judges you before they get to know you, then it reflects more on them than you.

That's not a negative comment, that is a naive comment.

Displays take WEEKS to setup and MONTHS to plan, we all know this.

Don't let some young punks get you down. It could be they had a relative in the armed forces who died and they're just taking out their mourning on you.

As long as you keep doing what you're doing, being a shining light for the world's children, blessings will be upon you :).

Don't let the bastards grind you down. Keep focused on the fun and joy that you bring everyone else with your display.

If you respond to their taunts, they control you. Take the high road. It's tempting to "get back" at them but it's a waste of your time end energy that you need badly this time of year and nobody wants a feud.

So I was talking to some visitors last night and my friend began to tell me how his mother was talking to the borough secretary. It seems that last year my neighbor went and complained to the borough, said the display was hurting his business. The council listened to his plea, then all voted in favor (unanimous) to NOT shut down my display. "The borough likes what Mr. Lindsey has done to the old Doctor's Office. More and more people are decorating in the borough and his display is very tasteful."

The funniest thing about the "business" that is suffering from my light display, the proprietor runs the funeral home across the street from me. People park on the street to watch my display and I guess that leaves others no room to park their cars??? And in over 7 years of living here, today was the first time he's ever talked to me. He acted sooo nice to me and even complemented me on how nice it was this year... I should have called him on his CRAP. But... I was good... :P

2 years ago, a guy told me that the display looks nice, but he'd have done it all different. Seems I had messed it up. I haven't heard from him since, so I guess I got it right lol :D

wow people need get over it . it is the season to be festive. i have been at it a long while too and i do it for the kids and that kinda thing. to hear your lil ones and others lil ones go ewww and ahh is worth it to me . the only thing i got so far was a friend next door saying the lights trip her out thinking the paramedics are here.

Yep! My "one" is the mother of the family right next door to the south of us. She has lots of bad things to say to anyone that will listen about the display. Funny thing is, her husband and her kids really like the display. ;) Gotta love that.

I am sometimes out with the folks as they watch the shows. This weekend I overheard 2 women discussing the waste of electricity (I have all LEDs) and how much it must cost me to have some company come and set this up every year (I do everything by myself). They talked about all sorts of stuff loudly outside their cars ("What are you cooking tonight?") through the entire show. Why come if you are just going to rag or bug other viewers?

More and more, you gotta be like the Honey Badger (I'd post a link to YouTube, but I'm afraid it may not be PC friendly). 2 people asked if I had any bad comments yet? I told them of the 2 neighbors who just don't like me.

True story: I left them a note on their cars when they parked in front of my house. This was after I spent 2 1/2 hours shoveling out my 2 parking spots and working a 12 hour day in Pittsburgh. My National Guard Unit got activated for a state of emergency. I was exhausted from spending all day out in the cold. I just couldn't believe that they did that. It was also clear that they didn't even try to shovel out there own spots. These are 20-something's that are able-body young men. They are also the guys that never shovel their sidewalk. They had done this before and I was not going to tolerate it. They have told countless people who've visited the display how much of a jerk I am and nothing I could do would gain respect from them.... They also have NEVER parked in front of my house again... ever!

So the Honey Badger doesn't care lol :D He just does what he want's. If people like it great! If they don't, oh well.

I am sometimes out with the folks as they watch the shows. This weekend I overheard 2 women discussing the waste of electricity (I have all LEDs) and how much it must cost me to have some company come and set this up every year (I do everything by myself). They talked about all sorts of stuff loudly outside their cars ("What are you cooking tonight?") through the entire show. Why come if you are just going to rag or bug other viewers?

She thinks that your show is professionally done. That's very nice of her.