News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tremor30

My Heart Just Breaks Sometimes

My family has been going through the worst fight we have ever before. And it started with my christmas lights. I am drained. I feel like there is no fight left in me.

We have been dealing with neighbors and the city and as a family we are even conflicted with some aspects. It has made the season less enjoyable the entire week. We do have some resolution with the neighbors and city however I just question if it's ever worth it.

Then this get's posted to my Guestbook

Posted by Jean-Marc Giroux on December 23, 2011 - 10:06 am arrow1.png

I lost my Mom this year on Dec 01, My Chrismas spirit was gone. But after seeing your display my Christmas is back. You have no idea how you turn me around and for that...Thank-you so much.

My Heart just broke and I cried.

Why the hell can't people quit the whinning and complaining about the odd coffee cup left behind and the added traffic for the 6 weeks of the show. Like it's been so hard on them. Why can't others see what something as simple as a christmas light display can do to people. I have 30 + guestbook signings on the website and all but the two nieghbor comments have been similar to this. We had a wonderful handwritten card from a family that told us her 3 year old asks everyday to come see the lights and when they are here they have to let her dance on the sidewalk!

I also got an email from my wife with a link to this article in our paper. IT's about a little boy that I coached baseball for the last two years in a row and I cried again! I'm so disapointed in a few people for not taking the time to step back and embrace what is suppose to be a gift for others.

Making his own white Christmas

By MICHELLE RUBY, EXPOSITOR STAFF

Posted 1 hour ago

Rory Guest promised his son he'd always have a white Christmas.

He made that commitment back in 2008 when his wife, Elizabeth Franko, died suddenly of a blood clot. She was 40.

"I told my son that when there's a white Christmas, his mom will be there."

Guest's son, Rory Jr., is a seven- year-old in Grade 2 at Russell Reid School.

But with the temperatures hovering above freezing, Guest knew there wasn't much chance that nature would make his son's wish come true this year.

So, he spent five hours on Thursday loading the ice shavings from the rinks at the civic centre into the back of his SUV and hauling it to the front yard of his Murray Street home.

He plans to pick up seven more loads today.

It's not the first time Guest has created his own winter wonderland. He did it for his step-children, Matt, Ashley and Stephanie, on a snow-less Christmas in 2004 and again last year.

"He was just thrilled when he saw it last year," said Guest of his son. "He was crying."

Guest, who also shares his home with fiancee Rosie Simpson, said people have been stopping, waving and honking as he shovels the snow onto his lawn.

"I like to keep a positive attitude and show my son how to be strong. I'm just doing this for my family."

I had to share my emotion today because I didn't know what else to do. My wife and I both have a new feeling of christmas and are more possitive but it's still been such a hard week I really wonder if I'm up for this again next year. Is the negative that I have to put up with and all my neighbors have to put up with truly worth what others recieve. I sure hope so!

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have to wonder was it ever resolved? We put so much of ourselves into our displays, it can feel like a personal attack. I will never understand why unhappy people want to go out of their way to make others as miserable as they are.

It is tiring on the body and soul. 

BUT there is always someone who makes it worth it all for you.

I think last year if was the lady that stopped after Christmas to thank us, her grandmother had just passed away, but her favorite part of each Christmas season was to come and just sit in the car in front of our display.

or maybe it was the van from the senior living center,

or was it the neighbors kid that tells everyone he lives at the North Pole

or the state DOT dump truck that stopped by and thanked us (not the truck, the people in it)

or the total strangers in Taco Bell that started the conversation "aren't you the people", and we say yes, and we talk for a while, and they tell us over and over how much it means to them.

or was it the time when the Chief Chaplain of the United States Army (his mother lives above the house in Rome Ga) who stopped by to take pictures to send to the troops, and he gave us a chaplain's coin before he left.

or everyone who blows their horn when they go by,

or just sitting on the porch when all is said and done, and hearing the kids laugh, talk, enjoy, take pictures.

yep, it is worth for us anyway

I know it's hard with all the obstacles, but every once in awhile, something happens. And it's just "magic". Good luck in the future. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk