News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim Bateson

1st Mishap Last Night

While watching my display, a car backed up to get a better view and into my neighbor's mailbox. Then took off. :mad: I picked up half a bucket of glass today & tomorrow will have to pay $400 for a new mailbox. :mad2: That $400 would have bought a lot of lights. At least the neighbor isn't ticked. He said he enjoys the show & doesn't mind all of the cars either. :D

You might want to check with your home owners it might pay; I had something happen a few years ago where someone backed into a fence and they covered it.

While watching my display, a car backed up to get a better view and into my neighbor's mailbox. Then took off. :mad: I picked up half a bucket of glass today & tomorrow will have to pay $400 for a new mailbox. :mad2: That $400 would have bought a lot of lights. At least the neighbor isn't ticked. He said he enjoys the show & doesn't mind all of the cars either. :D

That's a bummer Tim. At least he was cool about it. I have one neighbor that that's just darn unhappy. She'd kick a baby harp seal if it was in her way. Count to 10 - lol.

Other than being a good neighbor and keeping it friendly, I am not sure how you are responsible for the $400. But it is good of you to offer. Anyhow - isn't hitting the mailbox a federal offense or something like that? I know that the neighbor across the street form me had a UPS truck run over his (twice). They ended up with police reports and everything - despite UPS paying for replacement both times.

It is about being a good neighbor. They support our show, why would I refuse & purposely create potential issues? Truth be told, I'd like to find the car & wring the neck of the idiot driver, but that is not likely to happen.

the HOA strikes again....can anyone tell me when an HOA has been a good thing?....sounds like to me they dictate ridiculous standards and prevent some basic property rights....like what kind of mailbox I want. lol

Yep doing anything to a mailbox including putting a note in there for the neighbor is a federal offense. Once the mail box is up, it is federal property.

And yet anther reason to love HOA's!

I second this!

So glad I live in town and no mail boxes to deal with. Mail man delivers mail to the porch. I do have to watch out for bumper cars though :P

the HOA strikes again....can anyone tell me when an HOA has been a good thing?....sounds like to me they dictate ridiculous standards and prevent some basic property rights....like what kind of mailbox I want. lol

I understand how most people feel about HOA's, but I have a great HOA - our monthly dues are low and take care of neighborhood community areas such as gardening, cutting down dead trees, taking care of the community pool (upkeep), sponsoring the neighborhood swimteam, paying for burgers and hotdogs at the spring and fall community potluck picnic.

Then during Christmas they sponsor a neighborhood hay ride and Christmas house decorating contest which has several categories to include childrens choice, best traditional lighting, and honorable mentions - each house gets a sign honoring the selection over the Holiday and a $50.00 gift certificate.

So while the HOAy may restrict the color choices of the house, they provide alot of other community upkeep and spirit.

Regards,

Mike

Chantilly VA

"So while the HOA may restrict the color choices of the house, they provide alot of other community upkeep and spirit."

i couldn't agree more. I have lived in HOA and non-HOA neighborhoods and the one I live in now is by far the nicest thanks to the HOA restrictions and upkeep.