News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cliff Hewitt

White Artificial Trees

:confused: Looking for opinions or someone who may have done this. I bought some white artificial trees at Walmart to use in my display next year.They will be used as a tree line similar to the Holdman setup with WRG lights. We all know that lights are practically nonexistent this year:Question,do you think using lights with green wire would detract from the look of the white trees? I have plenty of green wire lights from previous years.

:confused: Looking for opinions or someone who may have done this. I bought some white artificial trees at Walmart to use in my display next year.They will be used as a tree line similar to the Holdman setup with WRG lights. We all know that lights are practically nonexistent this year:Question,do you think using lights with green wire would detract from the look of the white trees? I have plenty of green wire lights from previous years.

i had White trees from Big Lots came with white wired lights i added grteen wire red/and blue at night you really can't tell what color wire i used. i also bought 5 fake trees instead of using like a tomatoe wire frame i use fake trees for the tree line i personally think the fake trees look better than the DIY tomatoe trees

In my opinion I would use white wired lights, but it all depends on the look you want, you probably wont notice at night, but during the day you would see it.

I've used them min my show for the past 3 years and love them. They do fade in color and you will notitce that during the day. It was only a bit annoying this year as I added 8 new ones beside the older trees. I've never found green lights on white wire yet at any stores. So, every tree has green wire on it. I completely ran out of white wire this year and wrapped 1 tree with all green wire. I've never had a complaint and you can not tell at night. It is the closest thing to the Holdman tree line that I could come up with.

Daytime....

Nighttime...

nice thing about the white trees is that they will reflect the color well off the branches, so you'll get more of a wash effect and may not need as many lights. That said, I'd probably pay extra just to get white wires. Personal preference is all. I will say that at night it is pretty hard to tell the difference. If you still want white wire, try a local hardware store that sell lights. Ask them to order some white wire for next year reserved for you. It's cheaper than online vendors. I'm working with a store in my town that is helping me get whatever I want next year since green and red minis are so hard to come by in 2011. They place their wholesale order in February.

Here is an option. I am testing white artificial tree's with RGB modules (that way they can be any color and transition smootly from one to another.

here are a couple of examples (not submitted for production quality, and saturation is much better in person than on this video).

http://vimeo.com/36047526

These were done with 10 rgb rectangular MODULES from holiday coro ($1.29 each). The provide a nice bright glow and very flexable.

Why don't you video that in the dark instead of with the light on? That way it would give a more realistic look for the display.

Here is an option. I am testing white artificial tree's with RGB modules (that way they can be any color and transition smootly from one to another.

here are a couple of examples (not submitted for production quality, and saturation is much better in person than on this video).

These were done with 10 rgb rectangular MODULES from holiday coro ($1.29 each). The provide a nice bright glow and very flexable.

Great Work! I'd borrow that idea in a heart beet. Can you give me a breakdown in cost? I'm not up to par on all the RGB stuff, but it would definitely make wiring up the show a whole lot easier.

Why don't you video that in the dark instead of with the light on? That way it would give a more realistic look for the display.

Here it is with very little background light. (issue with little ambient light is the hight contrast issue with my camera) but here it is.

http://vimeo.com/36047941

Great Work! I'd borrow that idea in a heart beet. Can you give me a breakdown in cost? I'm not up to par on all the RGB stuff, but it would definitely make wiring up the show a whole lot easier.

Cost for this was $8.00 for the tree (2 foot white artificial),

10 rectangular rgb modules $1.29 ea ($12.90),

One 3 channel controller $7.99,

Power Supply $14.99.

Total $43.88.

(assumes you already have a DMX dongle and LOR 3 xx or LSP.)

Cost for this was $8.00 for the tree (2 foot white artificial),

10 rectangular rgb modules $1.29 ea ($12.90),

One 3 channel controller $7.99,

Power Supply $14.99.

Total $43.88.

(assumes you already have a DMX dongle and LOR 3 xx or LSP.)

Perfect... I use 4' white trees, I could add another 8 rbg modules making them $46 each (I have the trees already).

I hate to ask you more details, and I know that I'd need a DC LOR controler. Also I've learned a bit about the DMX dongle. Once the dongle is created, the network cable goes from the LOR unit to the dongle, then out to the display element?

Perfect... I use 4' white trees, I could add another 8 rbg modules making them $46 each (I have the trees already).

I hate to ask you more details, and I know that I'd need a DC LOR controler. Also I've learned a bit about the DMX dongle. Once the dongle is created, the network cable goes from the LOR unit to the dongle, then out to the display element?

You need a dmx dongle (I recommend enntec, but their are a number of ways to go), a 12 volt power supply, a controller, lights and some cat5 cable,. and with LOR version 3 , or LSP. If you want to experiment try one of the sample packages from Holiday Coro ( http://www.HolidayCoro.com/?Click=244 ), with this and a dmx dongle you can easly get into the world of DMX and RGB. Caution ! Once the door is open you will never go back!