News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lyman Rate

Needing Insight

I moved into the house I live in now at the beginning of January so the good neighbors around me have no clue of what will happen this Christmas! Now in the past I have written a note to neighbors telling them of what I do, what to expect in regards to traffic and if they have any questions comments or concerns to contact me. I'm not sure if I want to do this again or not.

How do any of you work with neighbors to keep the peace and make it where they too can enjoy the display along with you?

I would try to find out what the neighbors did as far as their Christmas, and if there were any contests or things like that, if so I don't think there would be a problem. If not then maybe tone it down for the first year and hope for the best.

We never have trouble with our neighbors and never sent out a notice. In fact, more and more are decorating and offering to help us and come to us for advice.

I like the open house idea!

Ask for forgiveness later! LOL

We had our first neighbor complaint this past year at our HOA meeting. They had concerns about the traffic and had issues getting in once. I do tell any new neighbors that might live in close proximity to the house because I know it can be an inconvenience but after 6 years and more and more traffic most have been great. As for the ones who had the issue most nieghbors told us to shrug them off since they do not celebrete Christmas or any other holidays.

Lyman since it is a new house do you think traffic will be a big issue or will you have to reestablish your following? If you think traffic will be light then I am sure you can wait till they ask what the heck are your Christmas lights doing. If we are talking traffic several nights a week and traffic patrols then it might be a good idea to get out in front of things this fall.

We don't have a great amount of parking on our street in front of my hours and I do spend a lot of time directing traffic during the show time usually on weekends. I have had no complaints from neighbors yet. The police have been buy many times and assured me there is no problems and I wont be shut down. I am shortening the length of my show this year just to keep the traffic moving. People have been patient and waited for a place to park as the traffic moves on. Some just walk up and stand on the side walk and watch. There are speakers out side too for them to hear the music.

Do not keep your neighbors in the dark. As pointed out, since this is a new house/location, it may be a year or 2 before your visitation starts to accelerate. I would highly recommend reaching out to them well ahead of this years Light Up to explain what you do and why. IMHO it is imperative that you have a good working relationship with your neighbors because at least in my situation, I challenge that relationship every year a bit more. Also, after the season, I exend dinner gift cards to them and offer to baby sit the kids/grand kids or whatever to ensure I stay on the "Good Neighbor/Guy" list. Since all the closest neighbors decorate to some extent, I also offer to help them with troubleshooting or ideas etc...

I go overboard, and some may question why, but I live with them 365 days a year as well.

Very true Mark. You go further than I do, although this year I have given my neighbors gift cards for dinner as a thanks for putting up with all the traffic. I like you keep challenging the relationship a little more each year.

Every street has one bad apple. No matter how much notice you give it still wont be sufficiant time for them.

The open house idea is the absolute best I've herd. Gives them a chance to see the show and it may change their grinchy hearts.

I agree with the open house. I invite my neighbors to a "sneak peek" night after all is set up and before the crowds are aware the shows are starting. I get a chance to see new sequences in action, get feedback, and make the neighbors feel special about the invite only preview. Many even offer to help setup for the following year. Keep them in the loop.