News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tremor30

Shutdown By The City! Joysey Lights Dark In 2012

Well, it became official tonight! Joysey Lights will be dark this year as the Brantford City Council voted 7-2 in favor of a bylaw that prohibits public display. You can check out the bylaw at the link below.

It was absolutely amazing to watch city council so one sidedly support the couple complaining neighbors despite the fact I agreed to all concessions they asked for.

I am so fed up with the whole subject I just don't know what to do.

One of the kickers was, while a councelor was slamming me, the Mayor (who has a conflict and couldn't be included) approched me and asked if the city could pay me to move it to a park in the city! Are you kidding me? City council so pointedly slammed me for what I thought was a great display for the community and then they want me to put up a display for them. What the heck?

http://www.brantford.ca/pdfs/5.2.1%20CS2012-135%20Publicized%20Displays.pdf

a bylaw that prohibits public display. I'm no attorney, but if the display is at your home how did they deem that public? So I guess no one in your area should be allowed to put up christmas lights. Am I missing something?

This really stinks... but how whiny are your neighbors? There is even a Garage sale By-law in there! Looks like you can apply to still do it but it looks like a lot of work.

Sorry man....

Welcome to Liberal America!!!!!

Is that what Canada is called?

I'm sorry to hear they shut you down, I think that is just totally lame. It's a Christmas Display it runs like what, a month out of a year? Those ppl should just get a life. Really.

Can you at least have a static display? I'm too lazy to read that mumbojumbo pdf :D

Very sorry to hear they are shutting you down.

Here in the U.S. this would be something that could be fought. I don't know the laws or rights in your country though so no idea if you could battle it or not.

The people of the community are the losers. I am sure 100's/1000's enjoyed what you did each year.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but as I read it, if you don't publicize it, you don't violate the new law. So take down the website, don't do any interviews or hand out any fliers and run your display. If you don't say anything to anyone about the display you can't possibly be publicizing it... right? If people on their own happen to stop by and watch it.....

• I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but as I read it, if you don't publicize it, you don't violate the new law. So take down the website, don't do any interviews or hand out any fliers and run your display. If you don't say anything to anyone about the display you can't possibly be publicizing it... right? If people on their own happen to stop by and watch it.....

thats what i got out of that, don't advertise.

Those who want more traffic should take note.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but as I read it, if you don't publicize it, you don't violate the new law. So take down the website, don't do any interviews or hand out any fliers and run your display. If you don't say anything to anyone about the display you can't possibly be publicizing it... right? If people on their own happen to stop by and watch it.....

they appear to have this covered with the "traffic nuisance" clause. You might want to kill it this year, let the enthusiasm die and pick it back up next year.

or, fight city hall

light up their email boxes, go to the news, they're infringing on your religious beliefs, freedom of speech, i wouldnt stand for this....i would take the next few days off of work to get this story as big as possible

You should go on TV, contact all the media you can - makes a great story - THE TOWN THAT HATES CHRISTMAS - town passes restriction that bans any display of lights.

If one car stops to look at any christmas lights or person tells them about a display it violates the town by-law about advertising and traffic, get some friends and start getting signatures from people to demand this be overturned.

I am sure it would not be easy to get started, but I bet once you get on the news you would pick up valid support a.s.a.p. for this - I know they tried to pass a by-law on dogs in my town and as soon as 10 of us made it known we would be at the meeting to appose it they dropped the idea.

Have to figure how many more people put up lights and would not like the idea that with little effort they could be caught up in the by-law.

Change your website to include a legal fund (after consulting a lawyer about it) and see if you can raise funds to sue the town to keep them in the news. Most politians are like cock-roaches, they don't like to be caught in bright lights.

Good luck - hope karma comes around and smacks these anti-holiday elfs right between the eyes!

Well, thanks for understanding. I have been away from the site most of the summer due to all this underway I just seemed to loose my spirit for Christmas. I'm at the bottom of a whole and unsure how to dig out. I hear you all on fighting, but I don't know if I want to fight it anymore. It's been a long year of working towards a resolution that just never happened.

If it were me I would go about it as others have said, take down the website and refrain from any interviews for papers and tv. Then I would proceed to celebrate my faith and decorate for Christmas. If you are then given a citation, I would take it all the way through the appeals process, publicizing it every step of the way. I bet the negative publicity generated would force the city council to make concessions, and I would think that your display could remain running pending the outcome of the appeal.

Is that what Canada is called?

I'm sorry to hear they shut you down, I think that is just totally lame. It's a Christmas Display it runs like what, a month out of a year? Those ppl should just get a life. Really.

Can you at least have a static display? I'm too lazy to read that mumbojumbo pdf :D

Too funny!!! I guess I should pay more attention to detail and less to politics!!!! :(

hey that's no good i just lost my competitor lol ..... do you have anything for sale ??? but realy i just read that by law and i would have to agree with others ... do not advertise your display and it will not become PUBLICIZED it will be like any other light display ( so you might have to removed your radio station sign) but i am sure most poeple already know that station # ....there is alway a way to twist the law .... so is that mean the town will not be putting up any light too ???

I hope that laws is not comming this way but being 6 hours away i might be safe for a couple of years.....

Cheer

Just gave it a read through and it seems one of the key points is the 'publicizing' as a few people have pointed out. Take down the site and your radio sign and you no longer meet the requirements of the by-law. Word of mouth is one thing but they specifically say that a condition of the bylaw is encouraging people to show up through advertisement.

I'm amazed at how pointed the law is. It clearly states that it doesn't apply to any displays on 'public' property and events like garage-sales are also exempt. So basically, just you...

Couple other options:

1) Have your property rezoned commercial

2) Start a collections to pay for the fine each year -- looks to be $5000 max. And publicize that you would love to donate the money to a local charity, but instead it is going to the city council anti-display zealots (to pay their stipend).

Well, I'm not planning on fighting anymore. I'm actually working with an art gallery/garden to move my display there. They are really interested to do it and the mayor has promised me better press. Here's to hoping it all works out!

Hey bright, the fine is $5,000 per week. And I'm sure eventually the police would show up to shut me down!