Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mbelisle

Simple Standalone Controller

I am looking to add a 12 deer leaping sequence to my back fence and was wondering if someone might know of a simple standalone controller that would run 12 channels in an on off loop to look like my deer is running on top the fence. I would prefer not to commit 12 channels of one of my LOR controllers. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

What Kind of lights? LED or minis?  If they are LED, you could convert a multifunction controller with 4 channels into a 4 channel stand alone module.  Then you could hook up 4 deer to the 1 channel each.  3 multifunction controllers would do it (set to chase) and assign them 1 channel in LOR.  It may not do exactly what you want but it's a step in the right direction.

Plan to use incandescent rope. Got a great deal on 12ft lengths post Christmas sale.  You may be on to something as I have a 8 sequence rope controller that I will disassemble and tap into to see what I can come up with. Thanks I didn't think about that option.

Be careful.  Pulling too many amps on those small board will fry them.  My buddy and I learned that this year when he added them to his static display.  He converted to mostly LEDs too.  If you need more multifunction light sets for their controllers, I have 4 of them I can sell ya ;)

www.christmas-leds.com sells controllers that may do what you want, you may need a few of them but their only around $20 ea
That's pretty interesting. I'm adding 3 light towers with a 3channel star flare on top. Could I buy three of these and only use 3 channels of my lot controller instead of 9 channels for the stars?

$83 with shipping. Maybe a used controller would be a better investment. But something to keep in mind.

$83 with shipping. Maybe a used controller would be a better investment. But something to keep in mind.

agreed... I don't know how many channels that is, but it would be cheaper to go with a used PCB 16pc LOR controller.  Fret not ;)  people will sell them. keep your eyes pealed to the forums.

Good Luck finding a used controller for that price thats any good...........and you would still have to pay shipping with that.........

Clyde, off topic but how many channels are you using for your candy canes? I tried to see it in your video but I cant figure it out. Also if you ever have free time could you send me a sample of how you sequence the moving effect. I'm going to attemp that this year with 44 mini spiral trees. Your spiral trees are insane BTW!!! Great work!

Good Luck finding a used controller for that price thats any good...........and you would still have to pay shipping with that.........

I purchased 4 LOR cards last year used for $89 each.  Yes I had to install and assemble them into enclosures and that takes time and money.  And yes, you pay shipping.  I also found 2 used contrlers in home-made housings for $150 THIS YEAR.    The deals are out there... you must be willing to have patients.  Also, you must be prepared with a "fund" for emergency controller purchase.  I have not purchased a "new" PCB 16PC card in 2 years because people offer them here.

http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=SN-CONT

As for this controller here suggested by gmac, it is very similar to what I was explaining in my original post at the top.  It is a bigger version of a multi-function controller.  These will work for you!!!!! Just remember the limit is 150 watts or 1.37A per channel (if my math is correct).  Your 12' rope lights will pull ~ .65A per string (check your set for the actual).  I don't know how many rope lights you'll use per channel, but 2 sets may be the max with this controller.

At $24.50 that is good price.  For 3 of them @ $73.50 + shipping, well to me that gets close enough to warrant the purchase and use of a controller....

OR!!! What if you had a separate extension cord and ran it on a timer?!  If you want them to come on and turn off with the show, just set the timer?  No channels, no fuss!  Easy stuff :D

The link is exactly the type of controller I was thinking of in my design. Simple and stand alone far away from my musical animation display.  The effect I was trying to achieve is a 12 stage 1 deer running / leaping. I am not sure if I could coordinate 3 x 4 channel controllers to create this effect? Worst case I could use 1 controller and have 3 deer leaping with the same timing or just add another LOR controller which will give me even more options for future design changes. Thanks for the advice guys.