Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
john venturi

Wood Characters For Sale

I make wood characters I can make any character for any holiday you can choose the art work I go off of and you can choose the colors I use etc.. I also make sports logos business signs characters with your mail box numbers on them garden characters you name it I can make it.  If you would like to see some of my work go into the coro/cutout forums and look at the ones Ive posted all the family guy ones are mine the Grinch and jack Skellington etc...I started making these characters because UIm disabled and our family is struggling a bit financially so any order would be very much appreciated I wouldn't sell any character i would not be proud to put into my own display.  They are all made right on cabinet grade plywood and they are sealed with wood filler to make sure no water gets into the sides of the wood and then they are painted with kilz first 2-3 coats and then painted in Behr premium exterior paint and then I finish all characters in Patio Paints so they do not need to be varnished or anything like that the paint I use make them weather proof and you don't have to worry about them yellowing down the road so if anybody would be interested please shoot me a message and we can discuss what it is you would like along with which art/image i would be making and then we could figure out the price depending on size and how hard the piece is to make so I hope to hear from some of you an everybody have a great day I posted a pic of the artwork of the Grinch and then the finished product so you can see how close to the original I can get the person i made this for wanted shoes on it but you will get the gist of it...post-18115-0-33888400-1364576242_thumb.jpost-18115-0-65458800-1364576340_thumb.jpost-18115-0-74644500-1364576392_thumb.j

I guess nobody is into the wood cutouts but i can honestly say it is the best way to bring the licensed characters that everybody knows into your display i promise you this if  you get some from me you will get a lot of comments about how much the kids and adults for that matter like them. People love seeing characters they recognize and are familiar with and these will definitely bring a different vibe to any display.  I can do any scene you can think of.  Just shoot me a message have a great day..and i hope to hear from you thanks...... :) 

Your work is nice, no doubt. What would the price for something like the grinch? I'm sure shipping won't be cheap.

The Grinch is 4 foot tall and I can do him for $75 The way I come up with the price for my characters is $1.60 an inch unless they are extremely hard or wide then its $1.75 with all the storms that hit this country the price of plywood is extremely expensive and as for the shipping I'm not trying to make a dime on it some people flat rate it I just add 5 dollars onto whatever the price of the shipping is and that just covers the packaging the cardboard sheets I buy and the bubble wrap etc and the gas to run back and forth to the post office to get the quotes for the piece i have to go twice once to price it and then again once i get paid for the shipping so the shipping is just whatever it actually cost plus 5 bucks its the simplest way i can do it some people try and make 10-15-20 dollars off people just in the shipping i don't do that I think its wrong...but if anybody wants any now is the time to get them and there are a few reasons why. These characters take at very minimal 4 weeks for the paint to completely cure I wouldn't recommend putting these out before that the paint needs time to set up properly so if people wait until the last minute their characters might not be ready to display properly..And I wont be doing any after October 15th because I have to start getting my own display ready to go up and it takes me a while because I'm hurt. And this next thing may sound like I'm just trying to sell more characters but I can honestly tell you that is not the reason why. The shipping on these characters is more of a size based rate in most cases and if anybody plans on ordering more than 1 you might want to get them together so they can ship together I promise you it would be a lot cheaper to ship more than one together rather than 1 at a time....I hope this is all the info people need to make a decision if they would like any everybody have a great day and I hope to hear from you ...I can promise you one thing if you go and look on ebay they are asking a lot more for smaller less detailed characters their 27inch characters are going for $59.95 that same character would be like $43.00 with me....And there is one more very important thing you may want to look for if you ever decide to order a character from ebay look at what they are using for wood a lot of them are using medium density overlay and trying to snooker people into thinking its better than plywood we all know anything mdo or mdf is junk and the first rain it would swell up like a balloon and then the ones using plywood are only using 1/4 inch and 3/8 plywood everything I make at the very minimal is made out of 1/2 inch cabinet grade birch and in some case like the Jack Skellington I made comes out of 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood just be careful what your buying if you see something on there that you like i can make it exact and out of better materials I just don't want to see anybody get ripped off...

Edited by john venturi

Your work is nice, no doubt. What would the price for something like the grinch? I'm sure shipping won't be cheap.

I would make one recommendation if you wanted one of these Grinch's unless he was going against the wall I would advise you to have him made out of 3/4 inch wood which would be 5 bucks more but with those little frog legs he has for lack of a better word wind could be a problem and 3/4 inch would take that worry away but that one was made out of 1/2 inch because the buyer said he was going against a wall for stability just thought i would put that out there...

Im shocked i didn't get any takers but I'm still available to bring your scenes to life so if you would like one just shoot me a message

Not everyone uses cutouts in their display. Like DSE said, it's kind of early.

I know that Jerry its just that if anyone does want any i just wanted to let everybody know I was available to make what they want and these are painted and the longer they have to cure before being displayed the better thats all no biggie

Hello everyone Im still available to make any characters you would like for your display I am also doing sports art and garden art so if anybody would like to place an order with me just shoot me a message and I will get back to you asap just remember newly painted stuff needs some time to cure so if you may be thinking about it just give yourself enough time to get the best product have a great day...

Im working on an oscar the grouch from sesame street for someone Ill post pics in the cutouts forum when done...

I think he will be done today Ill post pics in the cutouts forum let me know what you all think

Im still available to make these for anybody who might be interested Ill only be making them through the summer and into September after that i will be starting to get ready for my own display so keep that in mind if you were thinking about maybe getting one off of me later just thought i would throw it out there but if anybody would like one done you choose the image and i can make it for you just shoot me a message have a great day 

Im also making garden characters and sports themed stuff if anybody would like any of that stuff shoot me a message and i can show you the kind of stuff i can do

Im not currently busy making anybodies characters. So if anyone would like to get anything from me.  I'm free to do them now so just shoot me a message if you would like and have a great day.

I also finished the Simpsons family they are posted in the cutouts forum if you would like to check them out they came out pretty cool.

I am thinking of making a caroler group but of disney's fab 5. Storage is an issue for me so I am a bit hesitant on doing them. Lets see if I make up my mind and get them done. Coroplast all the way

I am thinking of making a caroler group but of disney's fab 5. Storage is an issue for me so I am a bit hesitant on doing them. Lets see if I make up my mind and get them done. Coroplast all the way

That sounds pretty cool

I started making a bunch of video game characters including Mario brothers Sonic, etc i will post them when they are done to the the cut outs forum. I am still available to make your scene come to life if anybody would like a character just shoot me a message. Have a great day...

I started making a bunch of video game characters including Mario brothers Sonic, etc i will post them when they are done to the the cut outs forum. I am still available to make your scene come to life if anybody would like a character just shoot me a message. Have a great day...

have you gotten any request for characters?