Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Glenn Barber

Finally Completing The Story

Hi Guys, I have come a long way since the pictures above.  I now have the wire mesh all completed and I am all most finished Gluing the Burlap skin on the wire mesh.  Next I will build the round stone and get it caught up to the Tomb as far as Wire and Burlap and then I am ready to start putting on the Drylock to give it that rock lock and protection and then I will be painting it.  It is a big project but hopefully i only do it once.  I think it is going to be pretty nice in my story.  I plan to start putting Christmas lights up Labor day weekend (only on the house and fence and trees - not on the grass) and at the same time trying to finish the Tomb.  I believe I am at least a month from finishing the Tomb Project.  Thanks again for all your help and suggestions - I hope it turns out the way I have it invisioned.  I'll send more Pictures later on.

Your like me I believe in keeping the Christ in Christmas I put up 6 manger scenes. But i thought about  doing something like that but wouldn't that be more suitable for Easter just because Christmas is about the birth and Easter is about the rising just a thought and trust me Im not being yucky i love what your doing but people might not get it as well as they would on Easter. I would just hate to see you do all that work and people not get it but it looks great so far and I cant wait to see it finished....

Thanks - I know where you are coming from - I have had that discussion many times over the years - I am in the believe that you can't have the birth without the Death - Even though Christmas is to celebrate the Birth - I think celebrating the salvation is equally important.  Hopefully everyone will get it - If you get a chance, go up on Youtube and look up a group called GO FISH and type in their song "It's about the cross" - it's on their Christmas LP - it's a wonderful song that goes with what I am doing.  I will be sending more pictures this weekend - Thanks again for your encouragement.

Oh I so want to do a sequence on "It's About the Cross" - probably my favorite on their album.  If anyone has it sequenced, pls PM me.  [especially if you have the singing trees sequenced - LOL)

Hey Guys,

Well I have got a little farther this weekend with my Tomb - I finally got all the Burlap on and the stone made - I experimented with the drylock as well and have figured out how to do that - with tomorrow being a holiday I am going to put some drylock on but then start putting lights up on the fence and bushes - next weekend on the house - I know I am weird but i have lots of light sto get up - nothing will go in the yard till November 1st - meanwhile I will finish the Tomb after work in the next few days.  Here is a picture of the Tomb with all the burlap on.

post-241-0-62588200-1378084235_thumb.jpg

Well folks - I finished my Tomb this weekend - When I set it out for Christmas i will dress it up around the base to give it a dirt and weeds look - but the Tomb it's self is finished - I really hope you guys like it.

Thanks

Glenn

post-241-0-17105600-1378606255_thumb.jpg

I love your thinking. The fact you have the birth of Christ along with His death, burial & the ressurection tells the true gospel. The empty Tomb lets folks know you serve a living God. Jesus is no longer on the cross & the blood He shed still cleanses folks today. "How big is God? He is big enough to rule the mighty Universe yet small enough to live within my heart".

I am glad you went that extra mile to complete your Christmas display & to show/tell the gospel. You truly are putt the GO in Gospel.

Scott

Thank You Scott - It's to GODs glory - I just want people to know - that you can't have the Birth without the death.  Some people feel that Christmas is about the Birth of Christ - i agree - but to tell the full story - I think GOD would approve.

Thank You Scott - It's to GODs glory - I just want people to know - that you can't have the Birth without the death.  Some people feel that Christmas is about the Birth of Christ - i agree - but to tell the full story - I think GOD would approve.

God always approves those who bring the gospel to others. What greater gift at Christmas time than to see someone who might except Christ as their Saviour because of your display..

That is AWESOME. I also love your thinking. Never would have thought of doing this. Just goes to show that there would have been no tomb or cross without the manger.

Mr. Barber,

When you get the display set up will you email me pics from daytime and night if that is not asking to much. Just would love to see the whole story put together now that you have the tomb done.

Thanks

Hey Glenn,

Love your empty tomb and all the work you put into it, it looks awesome! 

If I would have gotten into this thread early on, I would have suggested the thick foam board.  The church I attend in Michigan has a huge Christmas show every year called The Glory of Christmas, I have been working behind the scenes for several years helping make the props and sets.  You would be amazed at what we do with this foam board, we use it for just about everything, we glue pieces together and carve with a sawzall and a hot knife then use a hand rasp for final shaping before painting.  The stuff it sturdy and most importantly light weight, you can pick up a wall with one person and move it around.

I too would love to see pictures once you have your display all up and lit in the yard!  I know the joy your display will bring to others will be considerable.

Keep up the great work,

Mike

Mike,  Thank you for those great idea - I have several more scenes I want to do over time and will look to the Foam board for possibly making scenes - I may even call upon you for some advice if you don't mind - I eventually want to tell the entire story of Jesus from Mary to Jesus leaving this earth - it will take time but for now I have the main events - Birth - Death and resurrection.  Thank You for your support - and I will be taking pictures.

Thanks

Glenn