News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amd250

Sylvania Yulescapes?

I just got back from the large garbage pickup by me and I go two large wooden reindeer about 5 feet high white just needs new paint, Sylvania Yulscape Gingerbread House and the two gingerbread firgure, can someone tell me anything about them. What year are they from, are they rare? I don't mean valuable, I just have never seen them before.  I also got like a lighted up disco ball, and a 7 foot white lighted christmas tree. Not bad for free.

Guest Blowmold Magic

I don't know an exact year. But I remember seeing them new in the store. Ames sold them. And they went out of business a while ago. I imagine not many survived, the lights went bad and that foam like material I'm sure didn't last long if they weren't taken care of. It is a cute set, and even better for free!

The foam on this set is in perfect condition one of the gingerbreads needs new lights but easy to replace.

I love those.. Sears carried the Yulescapes stuff to.. They weren't cheap. I think they made a few other houses too.  I got the gingerbead house and a few other things.... lights are about out on it but I use it still.. the foam does get bad but it works great with the blowmold gingerbread men. https://www.facebook.com/brad.caudill#!/photo.php?fbid=580056738686490&set=a.556306457728185.145398.100000465061490&type=3&theater

I had a Sylvania Yulescapes Snowman and a motorized Elf. I bought them in 2006. The Snowman, sadly, deteriorated badly (the foam) and I had to toss it. The Elf is still in working condition. At that time, I was tempted to buy the gingerbread house but didn't do so. They were widely distributed here in the Chicago area. I do recall them being more or less on clearance at FIM (a store here that would buy overstocks) in 2007 and 2008.