Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Paul / Shadow

Christmas 2013, Just Not Getting Going

This year has been a crazy year, just cant get going on our Christmas display, have tons of ideas but no drive, part of it is about 6 months ago I became Missionary Pastor to the Homeless in Tulsa and My heart is so down there as well as my time. Well today I got going again. I am going to have My life size nativity, and a 14' cross next to it with a video screen and the Christmas story going, I am also planning on having a drop basket for John 3:16 Mission for blankets and cold weather gear for our Homeless Family here in Tulsa, also I am going to have the inflatables facing the cross instead of the street. I have had several families ask if we were doing anything this year, they all like that we have the real meaning of Christmas, the Birth, but I wanted to finish the story at the cross so here we go, going to be transmitting Christmas this year also so they can hear the story playing on the screen. Guess I better get going.

The picture was last year.

post-15668-0-79681500-1385253622_thumb.p

post-15668-0-08769900-1385253869_thumb.j

post-15668-0-49366900-1385253894_thumb.j

Edited by okshadow

I have diagnosed your condition.  It's called "The Christmas Funk".  I had a BAD case of it last year.  I walked into Lowes for weed wacker line at the end of August.  They had TWO FULL ISLES already set for Christmas!  Did I mention this was in AUGUST! 

Well, THAT took my spirit and flushed it completely down the toilet!  It's AUGUST!!!  Bad words ensued!  Setting last years display was the worst EVER!  Simply because of my mind set.  But I did it none the less.

You have the SAME condition.  Granted, from a different cause.  Good news is, it's curable!

Put the distraction out of your head.  Focus on the goal. 

In your case, time between there and your display may be an issue.  OK, fine.  Make a schedule.   You KNOW your display will take X hours to set up.  You KNOW you want to be lit by X date.  Plan for that, and the homeless get the rest of the time.

Need extra help?  Why not kill two birds with one stone?  Ask your homeless friends to help you set up.  In exchange, they get a warm meal, a blanket, whatever you think would make it worth their while.  By doing that, you help both of you!

Take a negative and turn it to a positive, simply because you CAN!

That will be $72 for the diagnosis, and $285 for the treatment plan.  Please submit your health insurance info in the response, so I can bill them directly.

LOL!

Scott

I took last year off because of the funk! I'm glad I did cause I was very ready to get this year's display going! I worked a few hours each night the last week and a half and am close to being done. Very excited, made me realize how much I missed it.

Im only about half way done and it feels like ill never get done nor do i know if i truly want to get done im kind of like you feeling like Im in way over my head but im grinding away even tho i can barely walk half the time due to my medical conditions but it seems like your head is down there but your heart is in the right place just think about how many people forget the true meaning of Christmas and your display reminds them of that youll get it done just like im sure i will or atleast i hope i can and even if i dont get it all done what is up is almost enough so just take a day and push through it and you should be proud of your pastor ing and helping the homeless keep their faith.. its 18 degrees here today and Im dreading even getting dressed to go out but if i get 1 or 2 more things done today its better then nothing...

Edited by john venturi

Thanks Scott do You take credit cards for the bill. Today was 23 deg. but so beautiful out, no wind, got a ton done, will get the Cross up tomorrow, think I will finish the front Wed., the off to the back yard with the 15' Santa and my new 18' Reindeer and 12' snowman, I think after the diagnosis by Scott I am back in the game, Thanks Scott.  Also talked to My Friends at John 3:16 and got the go ahead and will get a drop off cart to get Blankets Socks Gloves, stuff for COLD weather for our Family on the street. Now that gets me going.

1469898_764222926936977_1330010893_n.jpg

1450066_10202498070993700_1475193017_n.j

Edited by okshadow

Got these folks looking for a place to stay, said there was no room at the Inn. Part of our Homeless Family. Come by and say hi if in the Broken Arrow/Tulsa area, and bring warm things to wear for John 3 in our driveway, and a toy for Toys for Tots across the street at Kevin's.

532175_10202531728755123_2029114717_n.jp

Nice!  Just keep at it.  I have been at it on and off since I took Halloween down.  The last few days have been the toughest, wettest and coldest yet(20's/30's in GA, really).  Hope to finally be done tonight.  Need a month to rest up before takedown begins.  Good luck!

Steve

I've got the symptoms of the Christmas Funk too....haven't even attached the extension cords to what little I do have out. No lights strung on the house, garland's crumpled in the corner downstairs, Santa's in a corner too. I started an ice pond idea, but just cant get focused to figure it out, so I stuck some prelite wire skaters around the tempered glass of my outdoor table and have left them so far in the dark so to speak.  I don't have a cause that centers around my display but maybe that's my problem this year....I've disengaged myself as to why I do do this.  It really started when I went on Craigslist looking for something and all these  Christmas "needy" ads were every where...and it was discouraging not because people are in need but of the greed they portray....asking for Gameboys, Ninetendos, Tablets, and other high end merchandise.  Its not that disadvantaged children don't deserve to have such gifts but I'm going to be very honest here, I worked for a major bank years ago and we did the adopt a family gifting which was to be verified by the school, we were sent lists of the family's needs, names, and small bios....well lets just say my team raised over $1500 in money and also purchased the items on the list, and we got the shock of our lives when the bank went to present the family with the money and gifts...and it was a teacher's aide that had invented the whole family.  And sadly, I wish I could say this was my only experience but it wasn't and it isn't, I hear it every day of people signing up for every and any program not out of need but out of greed.  I know this probably takes the delight out of giving for those reading this but I promise you its not my intentions.  When I read that the poster was re-ignited to enjoy putting up his display because the reason (donation carts arrived) it reminds me that the spirit of Christmas is in the giving and in knowing that those that receive are truly those in need and not every need comes from a store.  So I will dig out my extension cords and get back to why I do this...because making children smile by just passing by my display is my need. 

Just think of the kids,there comments, the wonder, 

just don't think of the back pain, the power bill, the taking down of the lights.

Next year we will take a family christmas vacation,  i say that every year when taking down the lights

Hello all!  Christmas Junkie checking in.  Well, after weeks of travel and the flu I'm finally well into it.  My son came down from Tulsa today to help me but up by Bethlehem Star and I got my firesticks on the roof today.  Yesterday I got one of my two driveway arches repaired, up, and wired, so I'm well on the way now.  I believe it will happen and I will get done.  MY advice to everyone is just go out there and do some things.  There is no therapy like seeing results.  As a counselor, I can tell you that one of the principles of rational-emotive therapy is that feelings follow actions, not visa versa.  So get out in the yard and do something and you will begin to feel it.  There is nothing more encouraging for me than to see things going into place. 

It's like

hankp123 said, Just think of the kids, there comments, the wonder, 

just don't think of the back pain, the power bill, the taking down of the lights.

Have had folks stopping by and thanking us for doing it, an SUV stopped and the Child said I see Baby Jesus, look Grandma Baby Jesus, those are the times that make it all worth the long hard days to set it up and fight Inflatables on the roof in the wind, Yep it's worth it.

Shadow,

I think the "doctor" just became the "patient"

All wired up finished with 4 hours to spare, minus some "tweeking" that can be done after going live.  Very excited I'm riding a high.  I bench tested the MB, the new cards, the new controller last week.  All I have to do is put the show on at 2pm to make sure all is well, and I can grab a beer and RELAX!

Sounds great right?

Except when I flipped the "switch", all I got is a show, no music.   The 3,4,5,6,8,14 letter words started FLYING!  Away from the kids of course, Actually I SAID very few of them, but THOUGHT ALL OF THEM!  And then some!

Posted an SOS earlier, so see that thread if your curious. 

Naturally being Sunday, AL is closed.  If they were open today, I'm guaranteed to be problem free.  Murphy's law.

Chances are HIGH that for the first time in 12 years I will miss my start time.

Enter the FUNK!

I'm hoping someone can help, if not when AL opens tomorrow, I'm sure they can.  It'll probably end up being something stupid, that I should have seen, I'll kick my self, and thank my helper, BOTH things profusely! 

All this work, and I have flashing lights.   Ohhh----Awwww!   WOW!!!!

Enter the foul words.

I KNOW it will get fixed, I don't know when.  Hence the FUNK. 

I think it's AA that says "accept the things you cannot control"  I cannot accept THAT!  LOL!

Scott

P.S.

Funk has been canceled.  My wife spent an hour on AL's web site trying to diagnose the problem.  Turns out that little fingers HAD touched little switches, AGAIN!  Of course, when asked who did, it the answer was.... "NOT ME!!"  What a surprise.

So funk ebbing, now grabbing that beer I mentioned, perhaps two.  I'm going to shut off the living room lights, and watch and LISTEN! to the lights with my AWESOME wife!

P.P.S.

I FULLY EXPECT the "funk" to return IF another tech glitch happens, or WHEN it's time to put away all my lights! 

That's the funkiest time for me, usually.  The display comes down in less than 1/2 the time it took to set it.  But the only thing I have to show for it, then, is A naked house and lawn!  Vs. the set up, when I hit a switch (now that the "switch" works again) and I get the "wow factor". 

There's no "drive" for tear down.  Set up HAS A deadline.  I MUST be lit by Dec 1st PERIOD!  Tear down?  January thru when the grass needs to be cut for the first time in the spring.   

Last year with the help of friends came down in record time.  30 plus inches of snow was forecasted for the 2nd week of Jan, rare for my area, at ANY time.  Didn't want my display buried/ruined by the snow.  Made a few calls, and I had A crew here in no time.  Last ext. cord came up with 8hrs to spare before the snow hit.

Tear down makes me feel like a kid again.  "No Mom, I don't WANT to put away my toys!"

But it's kinda hard to mow the grass around all of it! 

This is WHY I need Astro-turf!  Problem SOLVED! 

No mowing, leave up the lights all year!  What could go wrong?  Oh ya, UV light in the summer degrades the insulation on the lights, sets fire to my $200k worth of Astro-turf.  Incinerating, not only the grass, but my entire display as well, and probably the house as well.  Ummm...

Guess I'll take 'em down in January.

Scott

Scott Thanks for making me laugh, I had every thing up but could not get my transmitter to work, had an ugly BUZZZZZ, got on line and pulled up the manuel and went back thru the set up and it's amazing IT WORKS. Google is so amazing

Ok it's all worth going out in the snow and wind to turn every thing on, several limos, two trolley's and tons of cars, it's Monday night 7:00pn 18 deg. and folks still coming by it's worth it now.

Well, I'm not up and running but I'm so much closer.  I finally started plugging things into controller boxes and seeing lights flash.  I should be operating tomorrow night.  I'm so excited to finally be at this point.  Everything has been against me.  I took a personal day on Friday and still got called in to work.  I can't seem to win this year.  Either way though....Sunday night the LIGHTS COME ON!

I am not up and running..  I've given up.  my truck is back in the shop at last I spoke with them the bill was $375.  They still have the engine problems to figure out.  so I have bowed to the light gods and accepted the fact I'm just not suppose to do all of this this year.  It's already mid December.  What's the point now...  :(

Well after getting a slow start, and as the Doc came up with, "THE FUNK" we had a great Christmas, right at 4000 toys to Toys for Tots, Lot of warm clothes for our Family on the streets of Tulsa, we are again Blessed, and already thinking about next year, have a video picked out for the screen in the yard and more ideas. Hope the Funk in our lives can be past and have an amazing 2014.