News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eggbah

My Neighbor, My Inspiration

I'm in a bit of a funk. My neighbor was the driving force behind my decorations this year. This will be my first year going all out.  

This morning, an ambulance, 2 firetrucks, the fire chief, and a coroner showed up at his house.  I didn't get a chance to tell him how he has inspired me to decorate beyond boring white lights.  I know that would have thrilled him to bits to know that he had created another monster.  His house is sitting unlit, full of his friends and family, comforting his wife and children.  He didn't get a chance to be our resident Griswold and plug in his lights this year.  I will miss his colorful and elaborate display of awesomeness.  If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have crossed over into the world of over the top Christmas.  My yard will be dedicated to Ken this year. 

I really want to do something to honor the master of holiday decor.  He's a legend in our neighborhood. It would only be right.  But I just don't know what to do.  This will definitely take some planning to make sure it is tasteful.

I really want to do something to honor the master of holiday decor.  He's a legend in our neighborhood. It would only be right.  But I just don't know what to do.  This will definitely take some planning to make sure it is tasteful.

whatever you do...im sure it would be great for his honor and his love for christmas

Was there a favorite charity or something you can pick up donations for and donate on his behalf or in his name maybe?

Thank you for the suggestions.  I began designing this gingerbread house right after Christmas last year.  My neighbor, Ken, inspired me to no end with his awesome holiday decor.  Just wish I was able to tell him and show him the monster that he created without even knowing it.  I kept my tribute to him small and simple - I tucked it into the gingerbread house.  The other names are my son, Jacob (still here on earth), and my cousin, Walter, that died a few years ago that I miss dearly.  They are all on the "Good List"   :)

This will go out in my front yard lit up inside and out.  

post-19233-0-85905700-1385604025_thumb.j

post-19233-0-03175300-1385604225_thumb.j