News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Andy Anderson

Announcing The 7Th Annual Virginia Mini On May 17

The 7th Annual Virginia Mini will be held on Saturday, May 17.  Matthew Satterwhite has graciously offered to host the mini this year.  The location will be Hanover Academy located at 115 Frances Road in Ashland, VA 23005.   Hanover Academy is just off I95 in Ashland which is on the north side of Richmond. 

The minis are an excellent opportunity to meet with other Christmas lighting enthusiasts to share ideas, design plans, implementation, sequencing or just to meet other with the same goals in Christmas lighting displays.

Anyone who would be willing to talk for a few minutes on a display element they have made, design tips, sequencing or anything else you would like to share with the group please let me or Matthew Satterwhite know.

We will provide drinks.  Like last year we are asking everyone to bring along something for lunch and snacks to share with the group.  Cost will be $5 per person to pay for use of the building.

Further details will be announced later.  We will probably start with a meet and greet about 11:00 AM, with lunch or snacks at noon.  Then start the mini at 1 PM.

Matthew & I look forward to seeing everyone.

Edited by Andy Anderson

Can't quite commit for sure, but I think I should be good - I'm adding it to the calendar, anyway! May works out a lot better for me than June/July. Looking forward to it!

Edited by Stephen Blue

My wife and I are hoping to make it as well. I am not sure my plans for a northern Va mini will work out for later in the summer. The venue I was trying to line up may not be available.

John

Edited by Johnfish

John,

Looking forward to meeting you at the mini.  Sorry that your mini may not work out.  Of course the Virginia mini is open to all who want to attend.  We do have diy people attending. 

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I have something I might want to present, if any one is interested in wireless control of pixels and ac controllers.

John

Hi All, new to PC forums but been on LOR forums for a few years. I am planning on attending and will be bringing my PVC gift package that includes a bow on the top. Just two dimensional but viewers really like them. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Al

Thanks Andy,

I have something I might want to present, if any one is interested in wireless control of pixels and ac controllers.

John

John,

Yes, that is what we are looking for is attendees to bring things to demonstrate.

Andy

Hi All, new to PC forums but been on LOR forums for a few years. I am planning on attending and will be bringing my PVC gift package that includes a bow on the top. Just two dimensional but viewers really like them. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Al

Al.

Looking forward to seeing how yu do your PVC gift packages.

Andy

The Virginia mini is just one month away.  We have quite a few people bringing items from their display to show to the group.  Looking forward to another informatinve and exciting day. 

Greetings all.  I have been using LOR Controllers for the past 5 years now with 196 Channels last year and just got another 3 controllers in from the Spring sale.  I just converted everything over to LEDs but am desperate to learn and incorporate Smart and Dumb Pixels, CCRs and other new light packages. I wish I had more time $$$ to dedicate to the hobby but will always find some way to enhance the display a lil bit each year.  I hope to come and meet fellow enthusiasts at the event to learn new things.  Keep the lights shining everyone!!!

Just three weeks until the Virginia mini.  We will start with an informal meet and greet at 11:00 AM.  If you want to get there earlier we will start setting up about 10.

We want to allow time for everyone attending to introduce themselves and tell us about their favorite display item.  We want to give you a heads up so you can prepare to either bring the item or take pictures or video and describe the details about how you built it and how it works.

Matthew and I are looking forward to seeing everyone at the mini.

I plan to attend the mini even though I will not be doing a show this year.  It's just time to 
retire.  IF ANYONE is interested, I will bring several items for sale.  I have several LOR 
CTB16PC's for sale.  These controllers have not been exposed to the weather, 2 or 3 
years old.  Some are wired with 2 power leads for 30 Amps, some with 1 power lead for 
20 Amps. New price is $259, asking $175.
Also I have a Ramsey FM25B transmitter with a "test" power booster.  Retail value of 
$400, asking $200.  I do NOT  have the stand alone whip antenna or the instruction book.
If you're interested buying and keeping the frequency set to 99.5, I will throw in my two 
yard signs.
Also have a lot of extension cords.  Homemade spt1 and spt2 with vampire ends.  $1 or 
$2 depending on length.
I prefer to sell to locals rather than dealing with strangers and shipping.

It looks like there will be quite a few new faces at this years mini. I hope to attend but not 100% as I have a couple of commitments still not resolved. Andy, any idea of a head count?

Bill,

I think we have about 15 to 20 committed so far.  As well as several on the fence for various reasons.  It is hard to get folks to commit too early.  Hope you can make it this year. 

The mini is approaching quickly.  Only two weeks until the mini.

Andy