Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
The SnowMan

What Type Of Laptop Computer?

I need to buy a new laptop. Question is, what does it need to have to run light o rama? How much ram and hard drive? I also will use it for internet of course. Thanks

while it is not needed to run LOR.. I would not accept less than 4 gb of memory, minimum of 120 gb hard disk, usually 250 is minimum on most machines, Windows XP is about dead, I would go with Win7 or go ahead and make the jump to Win8 if you can. stay away from home editions where possible. you can pick up on OK machine for about 500-600 and be more than adequate for most users. Stay away from anything celeron.. bad bad juju.. they are pretty much knock off processors with stuff that didn't pass Quality control.. also, dual core is virtually a must today. If you live in the Dallas/FT Worth area or are in Texas, we may be able to work something out.. let me know.. not sure where you live.. 

If you weren't going to use this for other things throughout the year, I would have recommended a desktop, more computer for less money. Unless you are buying a used one, I would not recommend XP. Windows 7 will work well, but if you buy new many are charging more for Windows 7 than Windows 8 now.

I'm running Windows 7 Acer laptop with 4 gb ram. Good machine, BUT when I would run the visualizer and sequence editor, the visualizer would get sporadic with the motion. I went this weekend and got a desk top HP,windows 8. It has an i5 processor and 8 gb ram (I also got 8 more gb) and installed it. I got it @ Best Buy $549.00, and $80.00 for the other 8 gb stick. Started working on my sequences and don't have anymore sporadic movements in the visualizer as before. I will now use it for just my LOR. Don't know if this helps or hurts.

I need to buy a new laptop. Question is, what does it need to have to run light o rama? How much ram and hard drive? I also will use it for internet of course. Thanks

Buy the Gen.3 MP3/Director Unit to run the show & keep the Laptop or Deck Top free for internet & sequencing. .

If you are thinking of moving to pixels anytime soon, you will need a workhorse of a computer to generate the show.  Also skip the MP3 if you are going this route - can't handle it.

Many previous discussions on this. Search is a useful tool

Some of the advice in this thread is already outdated as it is. I would strongly discourage anyone from looking at "previous discussions" for any computer-related inquiries. Since the OP is going to be using the internet, they need to stay current on hardware, software and OS. Running an unsupported operating system on a computer connected to the internet is like jumping in front of a speeding train.

The Toshiba Satellite series of laptops is one that I would recommend for build quality.

Here's a general tip... it is usually NOT economical to buy a computer with "just what you need" because having one custom built/upgraded will get you more bang for the buck, like a quantity discount.

Edited by Nicholas Denney

And in a month this info will be outdated. By doing previous searches he can see what people feel is needed to run LOR. Which basically is anything since it is not a big resource hog. I still feel it's best to have a minimum computer to run LOR and get a good one for internet. My question is while you are running LOR, will you be surfing the internet at the same time?

Ok,

Put my two cents worth in.

Most of us PINCH the pennies for our displays. I was running a HP laptop, with a busted display. Can't remember specs on it but it was a Pavillion and one of those "Entertainment" jobbies with about 4 gig of ram. Worked great. Some reason....got blue screen of death several times. That scared me since it was right at the end of November when it happened. Had already ran my Halloween show with no issues.  Sooooo, because of the season already started....my Christmas light budget already depleted, I bought a cheap Asus, 4gig of ram....maybe a 250gig drive. Had Win 8.1 (yuck) on it. It was probably just over $200.00 on Amazon. Worked (works) great.  Now, that being said... I won't use that computer as my every day computer. I will also keep my sequences from the previous years on another portable drive (backup, backup, backup!).  I do use Dropbox and treat it the same way.  I keep the "Show Computer" locked down as far as internet to a certain point. I will open it up to grab a new sequence then shut it back. I will do any updates (Windows) at the first of the season and then allow no more until after.  Just so that things do not get changed out on LOR.  Most of the time I will use a usb thumb drive to move things from my sequencing computer and show computer....but also keep it on Dropbox and an external as well.

Before this, I did run my LOR show on a older Dell xp machine. If your running a basic show, it MIGHT run ok for some time. It just really depends on what LOR does with the software. Of course as stated before the EOL is coming soon for XP. So I wouldn't put it on the internet after that if you do go in that direction.

Again also if your wanting to go cheap.... you might find some i5 THIRD generation laptops (even refurbed) that would SCREAM on LOR and probably anything else you want to do. Cheaper because of the refurb and the FORTH gen i5 chips are out there.

I would look for something with higher memory. Yeah....my old machine would not handle what I do now. But a very basic LOR show....maybe so.

And in a month this info will be outdated. By doing previous searches he can see what people feel is needed to run LOR. Which basically is anything since it is not a big resource hog. I still feel it's best to have a minimum computer to run LOR and get a good one for internet. My question is while you are running LOR, will you be surfing the internet at the same time?

Thank you for agreeing on that point.

Obviously the requirements for LOR are static - but the OP's full request effectively negates that. I explained in my other post that his computer must be current to safely use the internet. Using the internet and LOR at the same time is not a relevant consideration.

It's a great idea to have a dedicated machine for LOR in addition to an "internet machine"... but the OP will have to make that call.

well for just purely running the show, you don't need anything really that powerful. Get 64 bit windows 7 or 8, depends on preference. Brand of laptop does not matter, its the internals that matter. For just what you want it to do, an Intel i3 with 4gb ram would be fine. The HDD or SSD is up to you. I would say get an external drive for LOR  sequences and songs ect. You can buy more a computer if you want, if you want t to not get outdated as fast than go with an i7, 16 gb ram, and that will last a while.

Something like this might be good for you:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/15-6-laptop-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-intel-174-core-8482-i3-3120m-processor/2430014.p?id=1219072705933&skuId=2430014&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=1

Edited by mwalz

I like the idea of buying the mp3 and using that to run the show. I've decided to buy a laptop for our internet and business use but I didn't want the computer being used while the show was running. That was my deciding factor to buy the mp3. I'm not worried about color ribbon at this time due to the outrageous price.