News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Josh

My Love For Hamberger Displays

Frank_Lo    10

If anyone is interested I have the 1983 and 84 David Hamberger Christmas catalog also the 1985 Easter/Spring catalog. That I could scan. It will take some time as each display is on a postcard with pricing and description on the back and they had a lot of figures back in the day. Just to give you an idea the mechanical Gnomes went for $249.50 each. I also have  catalog from Display Arts from 1985 no pictures of there "Little People" figures just pricing and descriptions. I have a few postcard pictures of there larger figures that were selling back then.

It would take a while to scan but if anyone is interested I would do and save it as a PDF file for you. 

Josh    1

Today's photos come from The Original Christmas Store, which had shops in Orange and Newport Beach, CA during the 1980s. These stores carried all kinds of Christmas decor, but are best remembered for their large and elaborate animated displays, some of which cost as much as $50,000 (in 1980s dollars).

Frank_Lo    10

Back then they had 2 big buildings in Brooklyn and a showroom in Manhattan. The area that I was mostly in only had a few people working but was a big room. They would assembly the figures and make sure everything worked and then it would go to the seamstress and they may of had 2 of them in that section, but I can only recall seeing this one lady always there. Thinking back on it now I would guess there must of been another section that was doing them same and this may of been more for specialty. Of course they may of also ramped up depending on the time of year. I know they had a woodworking and molding sections of the building. They also did some pretty amazing things of Styrofoam. I remember they building a model of the Brooklyn Bridge and the World trade center. 

Josh    1

Today's picture is brought to from the movie "A Christmas Story" with Peter Billingsley. This from the beginning scene when the kids are pressed against the window at Higbee's department store.

Josh    1

Hicks Nurseries has a long, storied tradition of enhancing the gardens of Long Island NY