News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

jfelix

Mega Tree Base Idea.

jfelix    6

I need a base for this mega tree pole I got from my neighbor. It was a commercial grade tree for a hospital. A solid, tapered stainless steel pipe original made to bolt into two L brackets that were welded to a sheet of steel. The base was scrapped by my neighbor for $. Considering digging a hole and sinking a sleeve but that would turn my 20ft pole into about a 17ft pole. Also considering an HD portable hole. Any and all ideas welcome. I'll try and post pics tomorrow

mwalz    79

Sounds like a pretty heavy pole....if you have a set location, i would put a 2' sleeve in the ground, but you could always make the same style base out of heavy wood. Maybe put main frame of base made of 2x4's in a + pattern, and use a couple sheets of 1" plywood stacked for the square part, meaning a brace under the 2x4's, i feel like that was confusing, pretty cool you got that pole for free!

TED    99

I need a base for this mega tree pole I got from my neighbor. It was a commercial grade tree for a hospital. A solid, tapered stainless steel pipe original made to bolt into two L brackets that were welded to a sheet of steel. The base was scrapped by my neighbor for $. Considering digging a hole and sinking a sleeve but that would turn my 20ft pole into about a 17ft pole. Also considering an HD portable hole. Any and all ideas welcome. I'll try and post pics tomorrow

What you need is a "Monkhouse technology" portable hole!

http://www.magicchristmas.org/portable-hole.html

Maybe put main frame of base made of 2x4's in a + pattern, and use a couple sheets of 1" plywood stacked for the square part, meaning a brace under the 2x4's, i feel like that was confusing,

I felt like it was confusing too!  ;)

TED  :D

jfelix    6

Ted, I was considering that. I showed Walter the pole about a year ago. He thought I would need his HD pole. It's like a double Decker base, nice and tall about 16-20" tall.

TED    99

Ted, I was considering that. I showed Walter the pole about a year ago. He thought I would need his HD pole. It's like a double Decker base, nice and tall about 16-20" tall.

Yikes!  You better add wheels to it.  Some people put wheels on one end and then use a shorter pole to tilt it back somewhat like using a 2 wheeler.

TED

jfelix    6

I don't know I'm thinking a sleeve in the ground might be better. Or making a small base for it like William Bottomley uses and just guy write it with it freestanding.

Have you thought about the four way cross type base with galvanized pipe similar to the system from www.christmaslightshow.com? You may need to alter it to have a larger pole ion but it is certainly easy to set up and store.

gmac    32

If you don't plan to rearrange you display then I would do the hole in the ground with a sleeve I did mine 4 yrs ago and couldn't be happier 

It goes up quicker, more sturdier in high winds and all around just less hassle.

Then in future years Just pop the cap drop in hole and wa la Ur done (except for lights that is)

cacoulter    1

Standing a pole like that into a hole in the ground could be difficult.  I think that you should combine a couple of methods and mount it similar to how the hospital did.

Do the cement and sleeve.  Then build a bracket similar to what the hospital used that mounts in the sleeve.  You can pull the assembly out of the sleeve during the off season, and you get to keep all 20' of the pole.

Option #2 would be to mount a similar bracket to the Portable Hole.  Although, technically, without the hole, it isn't a Portable Hole.

TED    99

Option #2 would be to mount a similar bracket to the Portable Hole.  Although, technically, without the hole, it isn't a Portable Hole.

"Portable Bracket Base" doesn't sound nearly as cool as "Portable Hole"!!!

TED

ex-grinch    0

If you put a pipe in the ground for the tree pole, why don't you just make an adapter that fits inside the pipe in the ground, and then you can slide you tree pole over that pipe. Now your tree will still be 20 feet tall or how ever tall it is and you won't lose anything going into the ground.

If you need to, weld a small stopper plate on your adapter pipe so your tree pole has some thing to rest on when it's set up.

MEGA ARCH    2

I'd be more concerned about the base if I knew how you planned to put your lights on it. I don't see a pulley system. Are you using a ladder or plan to put the lights on before mounting the pole? The extra weight from lights, if putting them on first changes everything. If putting them on after your pole is raised, then no problem. Any of the above methods should be fine. Or even pounding a 4ft piece of 1/2" rebar 2ft into the ground. Slide the pole over. Attach guy wires.

Cool pole BTW - Always admire free & find a way to use it.

jfelix    6

I plan to use a lift to put the lights on this year. At this stage in the game I've got to do the easiest way possible. A lot of good ideas though. I've even tossed around pounding in a steel stake (construction stake) and clamping it on. But the pipe is not light weight, lol. Easy for me to stand up but not like my 1 1/4 pipe. I'm leaving towards the sleeve this year but did talk to a local machinist. Going to show him and see what he comes up with four the future.