News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Sign in to follow this  
bmichael

So It Begins........

robcat    13

Nope, I believe the more the merrier, ho ho ho. I even have a Santa choir in my display.

I will have 20+ Santas this year, including one flying sleigh, four parked sleighs, two trains, etc.

bmichael    3

Can't wait to see it in person. Did you make your Merry Christmas sign? If so, do you have plans? If not, remember which store? Online vendor?

No, bought it from a swimming pool store when I lived in Pennsylvania that sold Christmas décor in the off season.  That was about 10 years ago.  It used to have that holographic material backing each letter, but that dry-rotted off.  I rewired it with LEDs cone lights last year I purchased from Home Depot.  If I could do it over again (or when I decide to redo it again) will definitely use M5 or M6 bulbs.  The little cone type bulbs don't do outlines too well because they are so directional.  Live and learn....those were the first strands of LEDs I ever bought so I didn't know any better.  Still looks good though.

mwalz    79

Looks good, started on mine today, adding stars to the roof next weekend and some other stuff up there hopefully, and i might get the the front of the house.....I couldn't wait til next weekend either lol...

MEGA ARCH    2

No, bought it from a swimming pool store when I lived in Pennsylvania that sold Christmas décor in the off season. That was about 10 years ago. It used to have that holographic material backing each letter, but that dry-rotted off. I rewired it with LEDs cone lights last year I purchased from Home Depot. If I could do it over again (or when I decide to redo it again) will definitely use M5 or M6 bulbs. The little cone type bulbs don't do outlines too well because they are so directional. Live and learn....those were the first strands of LEDs I ever bought so I didn't know any better. Still looks good though.

I love the reworking of old stuff too.

Thanks.

Edited by MEGA ARCH

TED    99

It's a Union Products set.  I've had it for about 15 years or so now.  Ordered direct from UP along with 2 dozen or so other molds.  You used to be able to order minimum of $500 (I believe that's what it was) and have shipped direct from the factory to your home.

I think it was only $100!  I sure wish we could get that deal from Gen Foam (or even the $500 deal)!

TED

Carl Beatty    0

I only have one painted santa that is the one i painted for my father when he passed away. he loved to shop at homedepot, where i work, so i painted a homer depot santa holding a present for him....sounds cheezy but it came out real nice on birch plywood and everyone signed it. :cool:  

Allen L.    105

I only have one painted santa that is the one i painted for my father when he passed away. he loved to shop at homedepot, where i work, so i painted a homer depot santa holding a present for him....sounds cheezy but it came out real nice on birch plywood and everyone signed it. :cool:  

You did a wonderful thing for your Father.  Great story.  Thanks for sharing. :)

TED    99

That's really cool.  That's what it's all about!

TED

jasonquick    10

That looks great.   I would love to put my reindeer on the roof like that, but with a pond out back, and soccer field across the street, a 20 mph wind is a calm day.

Two words: Toggle Bolts.

Carl Beatty    0

Allen and Ted Thanks. Allen I like your story of Mr. Roden, thats pretty cool that you hang those decorations up....with everything getting so techy, its cool to see some original stuff.... any pics? Also do you guys use sky hooks for hanging lights in trees, if not how do you do it? I was thinking about using them? but any suggestions? :confused:

Edited by Carl Beatty

Allen L.    105

Allen and Ted Thanks. Allen I like your story of Mr. Roden, thats pretty cool that you hang those decorations up....with everything getting so techy, its cool to see some original stuff.... any pics? Also do you guys use sky hooks for hanging lights in trees, if not how do you do it? I was thinking about using them? but any suggestions? :confused:

Do you guys skype?

Hey Carl,

Here are some pictures of Mr. Roden's 1965 bells and lights:

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/alineber43/library/?sort=3&page=1#    Some pictures are fuzzy.  The pine looking garland on the C9 lights replaced the original large shiny green garland, that deteriorated.  The house shown is my 92 year old Grandmother's, who just went to the nursing home in June of this year.

Sorry no Skype here. :(

Allen :)

TED    99

Nope, I believe the more the merrier, ho ho ho. I even have a Santa choir in my display.

I've always thought it would be funny for those who have a choir to include one of the "singing Santa's" in the choir!

TED

bmichael    3

It looks awesome. Does the santa and sleigh come apart?

It does.  The deer are attached to the unistrut via threaded rod and bolts that go up thru the body.  The deer's heads come off to reach things.  I have the set divided up on 2 unistrut sections and usually carry them up in one piece at a time.  I hang them upside down in my shop from chain.

bmichael    3

so you have nothing screwed or pounded into the roof to hold the rain deer? how don't those sand bags slide off the roof? i bolt mine down

Nope.  Sand bags sit on the support structure and everything stays in place.  A few years ago we had over 70MPH winds and everything stayed in place.