Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stoff

Just Finished Painting Coro Presents

I love working with coro.  I just finished painting new coro presents that will be out at least two weeks this year that I wanted to share.  (Better late than never, right?)  One of our goals has always been to make things look good during the day as well as at night.    Coro is just so easy to work with.  Even the bows on the packages are coro.  Our tree is about 9 feet tall, for scale purposes.  The big package is actually going to sit over a big ugly green telephone box that is on the edge of our yard.

My next step is to light them. I have started the acanthus scroll package, lighting with minis.  The snowflake package will have green minis randomly poking through, the red and white striped package will have red and white minis showing.  I plan on lighting each package from the inside with LEDs.  I have some extra C9 and C7 bulbs and I'm going to put warm white, red, green and blue strings in each package so they will be lit two ways....minis and my cheap RGB solution.  I sequence in LOR so I plan on joining the RGB strings into an RGB pixel.  Lit that way, the packages will take up 7 channels (1-WW LED, 1-R LED, 1-G LED, 1-B LED, 1-R Mini, 1-W Mini, 1-G Mini).

Let me know what you think or if you have any lighting suggestions.  Thanks!

post-11335-0-90280100-1418992613_thumb.jpost-11335-0-99340600-1418992614_thumb.jpost-11335-0-94935400-1418992615_thumb.jpost-11335-0-93375600-1418992616_thumb.jpost-11335-0-04452800-1418992680_thumb.j

look great.....I love working with coro too.  These are on my to-do list for under the mega tree!

Wow they look flawless, I really like the red-stripe box.  How did you line up the lines so nice and then be able to attach the sides?  They honestly look like they can be inside a Macys Window display, top notch job to you.

I matched up the stripes by painting them on while the box was unfolded. I cut the boxes out of one piece and just score one side of the coro where the fold is going to be. With the striped box I cut the box, scored the folds, then taped it and painted it while it was laying flat. There's a little white showing at the seams after it's folded, but I can live with that. If I hadn't used all my paint I probably would touch that up. Lol.

The snowflake box was a planned accident. My wife and I cut paper snowflakes to use as stencils for the painting. I used a spray adhesive that had a repositioning time of up to 30 minutes. I figured that gave me about 10 minutes to get all the snowflakes on the box and about 10 minutes to paint the box and about 5 minutes to pull the snowflakes off the box before the adhesive set.

I started out working quickly and got all the snowflakes positioned on the box. I started painting with the blue paint, a side at a time. When I turned the box the first time, one of the snowflakes fell off the box. The edges of the snowflakes where I had painted were starting to curl. All of the snowflakes were coming off! Turns out the paint is a solvent for the glue I was using. My stencils came off with no problem and I didn't have to rush. Good info for future projects.

Those are awesome! 3M makes a spray adhesive called remount it stays sticky and comes off and on hundreds of times, I have used it to stencil walls it is also water proof so you can wash it if using water base paint.

Stoff - those presents are beautiful.  I think they may look better with a low level spot shinning on them rather than internally illuminated.  I think you may lose the detail and effect with internal lights.  Also, is that a stencil on your hardward floor or an in-lay.  Either way, it looks awesome

Dave, it's a stencil. Another project of mine. Thanks for noticing. I painted the fireplace, too.

Those look really nice!  Are you going to light from the interior?  A word of caution if that's what you're planning... the ribs in the coro show up pretty clearly if coro is backlit... I learned that the hard way!  They look really good!

I'm playing with the lighting now. I have minis poked through the coro. Dave H suggested spotlight so I dug one out of storage and I have the LEDs on the inside. I'm trying to figure out what looks best. I really like the minis on at about 25% and the LEDs on full. I need to try the spotlight at different levels of intensity with that to see if I can capture the exterior detail without washing out the interior lighting. Of course it's either early in the morning or late at night.