Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wirekat

Pacific Nw Clap - 2015

Happy New Year everyone.

Saturday May 2rd.

Nancy Foley graciously wants to host us at her house in Olympia, WA. This has been an awesome location and event for over 10 years now, and we have gotten bigger each year. We will still have the Set Up Gathering and Pizza Meet & Greet on Friday for those in the area or staying in the area.

This notice is to reserve your calendars for the date, and to provide suggestions for subject matter.

More to follow as the planning progresses.

(I copied Mark's post from last year :-) )

There you go copying others work again

Kevin

:P  

Hey Mark since Dennis blew you off :) I'll chime in.

Nice to see another PacNW light crazy. We have a pretty active group, with a lot of knowledge base about a wide variety of subjects. If you look in the state section under WA, you can see past agenda's. We span north, south and only slightly east (Vancouver Island) with folks that come from OR, CA, FL, ID, MT and western Canada.

We have been meeting for around 10+ years in the Lacey area. It's always an action packed day with one of the best venue's in the country. Plus its FREE to attend, well that is except the investment of your time.

There usually is a day and a half of things, Friday afternoon set up and Pizza Feast, then C.L.A.P. starts Saturday morning. Let us know what else you want to know, and oh, just ignore Dennis (DSE), he can be a bit edgy till he zaps himself in the morning.

I think we are just about ready to post the agenda maybe this week sometime, if you have any special requests, let us know......

The date is set for the PacNW Regional Christmas Gathering. So put it in your calendars.

We call this the Christmas Light Addiction Program, for those that have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem. Everyone is welcome to attend this event. We have always has an outstanding agenda which has been very progressive and relevant to the latest technologies and techniques.

Here is the information:

Friday May 1st - In the afternoon is the Set Up Party with the Pizza Meet & Greet Friday Night. This is for those in the area, or those staying in the area for the event. This has always been a well attended and fun event.

Saturday May 2nd -  Networking, coffee, donuts 7:30 - 8:30. We start at 8:30am

Location:   Nancy Foley - 4842 Thompson Lane SE - Olympia, WA 98513

The agenda is all set:

The Ups and Downs of Ladder Safety

Pete "AC/DC" Peters

Lumens, Lamberts and Lux; Projection Mapping

Ken "FMR" Collins

The Matrix; Kinetic Excitement

Chris "Captain Murdoch" Pinkham

You Drive, I'll enjoy the show; Traffic Control

Kevin "Wirekat" Thomas

I've been framed; Wireframes

Matt "Mr Pixclip" Ross

Go North - Pole Man; North Pole How-To

Craig "Pex Tree" Dye

"Hooked" on Lights: Attachment Methods

Round Table, Lowell "PapaLF" Fuher & Craig Dye

How TGCLF was won

Darren "Mr. $50K" Huffty

We are working on the vendors for sponsorship, To date we have:

1.   Reinders

2.   Wireframe Concepts

3.   Canny Systems

with more to come.......

This is a free event. So we are looking for RSVPs to plan for lunch. We look forward to seeing y'all in May!

Are you going to include a swap or trade meet in your schedule?

Thank you!

Bridget 

Bridget, that is a great reminder. Yes we usually do have a swap meet. It is not in the schedule, rather the space is availalble for folks to sell stuff...

I will post that in the next update............

BTW are you interested is buying or selling, that helps. :)

Maybe a little of both. I don't really have enough to be a seller, but I have a few things I probably wouldn't mind selling or trading. 

Give us an idea of what you need or have . We can see what we can do.... 

I have a couple of common santas - TPI Santa, Santa with packages, dancing Santa. I also have black cat in a pumpkin, Frankenstein, a few sets of NIB reproduction bubble lights, several nice Telco animated Christmas dolls - one is a larger angel that is somewhat uncommon.   Nothing very exciting which is why I don't really want to sit at a table all day, but I wouldn't mind trading - even trading several things for one thing I want. If someone else wanted to keep it all or sell it - I'd sell the lot for one price or a great trade.

I'd be willing to trade for anything I don't have - which includes all kinds of things. I'm always interested in pumpkins (building a pumpkin patch), wouldn't mind a pumpkin head goblin or a witch,  I already have a couple green aliens - but you can't have too many of those. :)   Interested in a couple TPI angels.  Wouldn't mind a TPI drummer boy, maybe some easter items,

I wouldn't mind a few penguins - even wireframe tinsel 3-D penguins - I have several I've switched to LED and I have a couple of 3-D polar bears that slowly move their heads while staring at the penguins. A few more penguins in the herd could be nice. I don't mind rewiring - I'm trying to switch to almost all LED - but I'd rather have sturdy wire and tinsel in good condition. Or blow mold!  

I don't really want to buy anything unless the price is terrific. My husband is getting cranky about shed space - but if I trade or get rid of a few things I can claim i'm actually downsizing. ;)   If someone wanted anything and had something to trade - if I don't have it I would probably go for it. .

Mark,

Put me down for two at least for part of the day.  I have a family event in the afternoon nearby.

As for the swap, I have a LARGE wireframe Snowman that would need to be re-lit if anyone wants to get it a new home, not sure how we would get it down there as well as  a couple of Blow Mold Sleigh and Reindeer I could bring if there is any interest in them.

Bill,

Woo-hoo! Charles mentioned you were possibly coming. We're glad you are coming out to Seattle again. It will be great to see you again.

Bump. This is a free event. Looking for RSVPs to plan for head count. Please respond, email, or PM me. If you have already replied, thanks!

Mark,
           I work on Friday, but plan on attending Saturday. Also, if anyone has the need, I could bring several CTB16PC controllers to sell. Most are G2 controllers but one is a G3. I would be asking $180 each.

Zo

Got you down, I would say bring the controllers..........

1. icon1.png

Just bumping this. We are a week away from our annual meeting. Saturday May 2nd. This is just a reminder, that if you plan on attending, please RSVP. It is free to attend, we have to plan for set up and lunch. If you have already RSVP'd no need to reply.

Also if you have items for the Swap Meet be sure to bring them, tables will be set up for this. See you next week.

Friday May 1st - Set Up at Nancy Foley's 12:00pm - This is always fun, Bill's shop gets its annual cleaning and the conversation is always riveting. That evening at 5:30 is the Pizza Meet & Greet for those in the area or staying in the area.

Farrelli's Pizza & Pool Co

4870 Yelm Hwy SE

Lacey, WA

360-493-2090

Sat May 2nd - Networking, coffee, donuts 7:30am - CLAP starts at 8:30am

Nancy Foley

4842 Thompson Lane SE

Olympia, WA 9851 

Available at CLAP Swap $60 includes  TPI sleigh and reindeer. This is a bargain, there is a ad currently on CL for this same sleigh for $150. The original reindeer that went with the sleigh has a break near the antlers, I am including it, but also including another reindeer.

Also available is a General Foam Classic Sleigh and Reindeer $50. The runners have a break but that would be an easy fix. 

Neither has the reigns, or the stands for the reindeer. I do have cables that were used to fly a set of reindeer and sleigh, that would be free with purchase.

PM me so that I throw them in the car.

post-10059-0-28694200-1430352894_thumb.j

Wow!  Mom Nature gave a  us  a "Chamber of Commerce" weather day. Great presentations,  great company, great food & fun!

Thank you to our presenters who provided a TON of great info.

Thank you to our host(s) Nancy Foley & her brother Gary Kuhn for another fabulous lunch

Thank you to our sponsors:

The Demented Elf

Seasonal Entertainment

Reinders

Creative Displays Inc

Winkelbottoms

Christmas-LED

Christmas Light Show

3G Lighting

Canny Systems

Seasons Greeters

DigiPointe LaserWorks

Wireframe Concepts

Thank you all for your support in attending. The camaraderie and sharing is what drives us to keep this event alive and growing.  Don’t forget Charles Enos Blow Mold Swap Meet on July 25th. We can use this as another opportunity to meet and talk about specific subjects.

Presentation postings & downloads will be on our website, a link will be provided in a coming email. 

Thank you Mark for the great event. We enjoyed the time we had to spend with some very nice people. I am sure we will attend again.

Terry

wireframeconcepts.com

HI all this was My first time I got the C.L.A.P from Zman Thank You

I had a blast  and look forward to the coming years of C.L.A.P  

I enjoyed all the conversation with everyone I talk with.

Thank You Again to Nancy for hosting us all

and Thank You mark for getting me into C.L.A.P  

Christopher Kent

Bothell WA