Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChristmasCat

Stripping color off of new baubles (bleach doesn't work!)

Hi all, I'm hoping someone could help me. I purchased a few clear glass balls at a garage sale to try that pinterest craft with the glitter and pledge floor cleaner that end up looking like this (not my picture) : 

http://www.happinessishomemade.net/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-VZmcbnasBn0/ULcD4rCWfTI/AAAAAAAALe0/jhSFMurg8s0/s1600/Glitter%2BOrnaments%2BInstagram.jpg

And they turned out GREAT! So I want to make more, but on the cheap, if I can :P

Now, I know that with actual OLD ornaments, a bit of bleach water will take the paint right off and you'll be left with clear glass balls. But I have an 18-pack of gold balls from Big Lots that cost me 30 cents a few years ago, and they're proving difficult to get the color off of. The only thing that seems to work is a scouring pad (and whatever cleaner is in those things) and a LOT of scrubbing. I have tried bleach water and also rubbing alcohol, and they seem to have no effect. 

Any tips? Any household cleaners that will strip this stuff off any more easily? These turned out absolutely gorgeous and as stunning as they look in pictures, so I'd like to make as many as I can for gifts, but at this rate it'll be New Years before I get all of the gold off the 18 I have sitting in front of me.

The only thing I don't have at home here is paint thinner, and I'd rather use what I have at home if possible. 

Thank you in advance!

Here are some ideas. I have no clue if they will work.

Try Acetone nail polish remover.

try packing tape to see if the paint will stick to the tape and pull off. Start with a small scratch into the painted area by the stem then apply the tape. Try painters tape also.

Try soaking then overnight in ammonia water. 

Lastly Hobby Lobby has a 12 pack of the clear ornaments for 8.99. They also have been offering a sale price of 40% off. Not as cheap as the set you have but much easier to work with if you can't get the paint off.

i just completed a set of those exact ornaments and they turned out amazingly beautiful! 

Good luck!

I don't have any suggestions on how to remove the paint that isn't already mentioned, but I'd love to know the steps on how to make those!

Thanks TexasKate. No Hobby Lobby near me unfortunately. I tried TSP and it seemed to make it a LITTLE easier to scrub off, but still took a good amount of scrubbing with the scouring pad. I'll try some of your suggestions for the rest, thank you!

I don't have any suggestions on how to remove the paint that isn't already mentioned, but I'd love to know the steps on how to make those!

The steps are very easy! You need Pledge floor wax (or other floor wax of the same consistency. You do NOT want cleaner, you need the wax) and glitter. Fine makes a nicer, more even coating inside, but you could also use larger glitter or even sprinkles or small beads. 

Squirt about a tablespoon worth of wax inside a large bauble, less for a small one. It's impossible to mess up as you're just going to put your finger over the opening and shake it around until it coats the whole inside of the ball and then let all the excess drip out. All you need is a thin coating inside, you don't want a puddle of it left.

Then pour glitter inside the ball and shake, shake, shake with your finger over the hole again. You may need to add more glitter to get a really even coating inside. You'll be able to eyeball it easily after the first few. If you have extra, pour it back out and into the next ball. 

Then sit in a cool/room temp place to let them solidify completely and add back your tops.

Do these one at a time so the wax doesn't harden while you're working.