News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

2018!

The PlanetChristmas Forums will be revamped February 1, 2018Read more here.

thegrinch15

HELP! - I need ideas for my house - Trees block front view

I'm looking to start planning for next year, as I just found this website. I'm trying to come up with some ideas for lights on this house, or in the yard. The trees blocking the house make it difficult. Please provide some ideas/suggestions! The first pic is what cars will see first.

ok5vya.png

n12qs5.png

I see you are in CA but my question is do any of those trees loose leaves this time of year?  Those Google pics look like they were taken on a sunny summer afternoon.  

By the way ~  WELCOME to the Planet !

I would wrap the trees in LEDS.  I would LOVE to have something besides insanely tall trees in my yard! 

One thought I had for the small (palms ?) right down front.  Are you familiar with the plant 'red hot poker' ?   Take some rebar and wrap red/yellow lights around them and place them upright in the plants, then make up an oval with smaller gauge wire and wrap them with green lights (leaves) and put them down in the real leaves of the plant.    --- kinda a modern twist on a poinsettia       You could make each one a giant single flower or several small ones - use your imagination 

something that would be easy to move when you are no longer renting and still be a one-of-a-kind decoration

RHP-2.jpe

Edited by WLND-DAVID

That sounds like a great idea. Those little palm trees have baffled me....I came from the east coast, you know the place where we have "normal" bushes lol. I definitely want to do something with them in the display since it's impossible to avoid them. If it were all up to me I would cut all of these trees down in the front of the house...

Man you have a goldmine! Wrap those trees with LEDs and you are set. If the leaves don't drop I promise you they will show thru.

right IMG_3461.jpg

• Like 1

I have a large tree in my yard as well. I string clear, miniature light around the bottom branches with Moravian Stars and Lighted Bells.

2014 Christmas yard 009.JPG

2014 Christmas yard 005.JPG

Edited by JeffCarter

I would say wrap trees as much a possible, as far as the little ones up front, put up candy canes or a taller type of decoration in front of them to block them out. I would outline the driveway and around planting bed. I think I see a bush there, I would wrap that with net lights too.

Man you have a goldmine! Wrap those trees with LEDs and you are set. If the leaves don't drop I promise you they will show thru.

right IMG_3461.jpg

I'm not trying to hijack the OP's thread. However my question could help him as well. How did you figure out how many lights to buy per tree? 

I agree with others, go to town wrapping those two big trees. I would still outline both upper and lower windows on the left, since you see that part of the house clearly when you drive up towards it, and also the garage door. Those mini palms you can simply drape lights all over them, net lights or otherwise. That's what I do with the three big bushes in front of my porch. But I also like the idea of having some wireframes or coro/plywood shapes right in front of them.

Maybe find some large ornaments that an be lit to hang from the trees (I'm a blow mold addict, I've seen some and will post some pictures when I get home). I would also go up on the rooftop and across the garage door. 

Maybe find some large ornaments that an be lit to hang from the trees (I'm a blow mold addict, I've seen some and will post some pictures when I get home). I would also go up on the rooftop and across the garage door. 

My apologies for the typos, iPhone posting isn't easy. Anyway...here is a link with specifications on the blow mold lights I mentioned  http://christmaslightscreations.com/light-up-c7-bulb-blow-mold/ plus a couple photos the last photo was posted here at PC (not the exact same product). I didn't realize they were battery powered but I bet you could string them somehow. Hope you had a Merry Christmas, I too was TDY to CA (DLI Monterey, Army) not sure where you are but its for sure there. Are worse places they could send you :-)

Michele

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As they said, use your trees, those palms and other bushes. Also use what yard space you have. You could outline your yard with lights as well. Use that garage door. You might could attach pixels and make a matrix with this stuff http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/775.htm . You could attach it so the garage door would go up and down as well.