News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Sign in to follow this  
christmas_nut

Great neighbor's

Just wanted to share a great story.

This has been my best year yet. I do a static display with a lot of cut-outs but have experienced the traffic of a synced show. Its great. I have been fortunate enough this year to meet some of the people who came to see my display. Several from Japan, here on an exchange student program, day cares that brought the kids by in the day for pictures and my neighbors, who have knocked on my door asking if their kids can walk through so they can take pictures with all the characters.

Last year someone left chocolates with a card saying thank you for all the hard work I do in bringing joy to everyone. I was of course touched and even teared up. Then this year I got a card from a church 2 streets away, signed by many children and adults.

Just so you all know I don't go to church.

Here is a pic of the card.

100_0213.JPG

Edited by christmas_nut
  • Like 2

I couldn't agree with you more drkness.

My wife and I dress up as Santa and Mrs Claus and go out each night to hand out candy canes.  This year we had a young lady call us over near one of the cars and asked us if we would be so kind as to come to the vehicle to greet her elderly mother & father in the vehicle.  She indicated that they couldn't have them get out of the vehicle because of health issues. My wife and I agreed, so we went to the passenger window. In the passenger seat was her mother who became very excited when I spoke to her, as she went on to explained to us that she was 89 years of age and has never in her life been near a Santa Claus. Not knowing how she would respond, I asked if she wanted to get her picture taken with Santa and Mrs Claus. With wet eyes she said yes and proceeded to open the car door to get out. With our assistance we got her out and she had her picture taken with us. After that, she wanted a second picture to be taken only with Santa because she wanted to feel what Santa's beard felt like.  After getting her picture taken with her hand on my beard, she turned to my wife and said "I might be old, but my pilot light is still on in this old furnace".

It seems each time I contemplate downsizing, I have someone catch me and tell me how much they enjoy seeing my lights.  People don't like to drive down people's driveways and I have a long one but it's all visible from the road across the cow pasture.  With one new building already built and another one going up this year, that's 2 more to decorate next year.  And those building will also have their own outlets for power to be more readily available!

Now if I could get my wife interested in helping me decorate too...

12342510_10207193181901942_5085970994225930213_n.jpg

• Like 2

Our neighbors are great, we even help each other at decorating time, and DH is the come to person if something is not lighting or working, he's Mr. fix it!, DH & I are also the guardians when any of them go away, I made a Utube of our street and here it is, they all love it as I passed on the link to them all.

https://youtu.be/MKFWDkzxZUU