News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Franchise_24

Blowmold Restoration

I regret not finding this post sooner. you have no idea how bad i want to paint this for you. I had the same one years ago and lost it moving. simply awesome s-l1600.jpg

Wow! Not just outstanding, ...outright inspiring! Have you noticed any long term unwanted effects of using oven cleaner to strip the paint, any weakened areas of plastic for example? I have several to restore and have been too cowardly to start. Doc.

Have had no issues using the oven cleaner, other than it can really burn your skin.  I think I am going to have a permanent scar from it.  No updates or pics right now unfortunately.  I've spent quite a bit of time getting my 1928 Model A Ford ready for the driving season, and with the weather getting nicer we have been at the pool a lot, so most of my free time has been spent outside.  The project has to get done though as it stands now the molds can't be used because they are stripped, so as I get back to it, probably on a rainy day I will post more pictures.  Thanks for checking.

Edited by Franchise_24

I redid 5 Carolers and a fawn last year. I used oven cleaner to strip the heavy paint off it worked great! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, jlknox11 said:

I redid 5 Carolers and a fawn last year. I used oven cleaner to strip the heavy paint off it worked great! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those look great, but I really like the deer that's a good job.

18 hours ago, shane page said:

Those look great, but I really like the deer that's a good job.

6 hours ago, BamaSanta said:

AWESOME Job there  on those repaints Jay.

1 hour ago, drkness said:

Outstanding paint job!

Thanks! I didn't use any fancy tools or techniques either I just used cans of spray paint. I didn't even use tape to tape off the areas when I did the brown on the deer I sprayed at an angle so it would blend so to speak! The deer is my favorite I worked on these for a month. Here's a couple pics of them in the display. I used a red/orange shade on the Carolers is hey would blend with the others. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow your carolers look great.  I have 5 of them I am redoing too.  3 guys, 2 girls.  Happen to have any extra heads you'd part with?  My two girls both have busted out noses, and while I can paint things, I don't think I can repair the plastic.

• Like 1

On June 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Franchise_24 said:

Wow your carolers look great.  I have 5 of them I am redoing too.  3 guys, 2 girls.  Happen to have any extra heads you'd part with?  My two girls both have busted out noses, and while I can paint things, I don't think I can repair the plastic.

Funny you should mention that! I had to fix a Carolers nose because it was missing! Here's some photos. I used milk jugs and molded a nose for one. Here's some before, during, and after photos. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

I don't restore any of my molds. I like to know that I have the original paint that (in older cases) is hand done by an artist. Even if it means I have to display it indoors or in a window.

Everyone's different!!

I'm the opposite, once one of my molds start to go, I think gee another cool summer project to add to the list!, or I'm going to make it better than when I bought it, or even in some cases like the GF snowman with blue or red scarf, that you can buy a bunch of  at the after sales, gee I'm going totally custom, and making my own  4 or 5 color scheme, and make the pipe have a cheery glow in the bowl like it should!!!

BTW OMG nice milk jug fix!! Outstanding!!!!!

Edited by Rush0212

On 6/15/2016 at 1:35 PM, jlknox11 said:

Funny you should mention that! I had to fix a Carolers nose because it was missing! Here's some photos. I used milk jugs and molded a nose for one. Here's some before, during, and after photos. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow those look amazing.  Can you go over the process with me in detail?  Looks like I will have to give it a try and don't want to mess things up.  Basically like how you attached the plastic, what was used, the process.  Thanks for the information.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2016 at 11:32 AM, Franchise_24 said:

I'm finding that many many coats of a light mist is what is working best for me.  If you try to go too heavy it runs and you don't want to have to brush it as it looks bad then with the light.  I have just about finished the upper torso aside from getting a q-tip out to touch up minor areas.  I still have to do his face and eyes as well.  I am happy with the progress so far.  Before and after shots.

You may be onto something with the light mist, but I'm afraid that "many many" coats won't light up well.  I'd like to share a tip here.  I'm not trying to nitpick--just sharing an easier method.  There's no reason to tape off the belt (or any areas that are black such as boots or mittens).  Since it's going to be black no light is going to show through anyway.  Just paint it all red and then come back after the red has fully cured and paint the belt.  In addition to being a lot easier it will prevent having any voids (white areas) between the red coat an the black belt.

On 3/20/2016 at 4:52 PM, Snowplow_Henry said:

I have some experience painting but whenever I spray paint I always get bleed through under the edges where I use the masking tape. Is there a way to prevent that? Am I using the wrong brand of masking tape?

It does sound to me like you are using the wrong tape.  Don't use cheap masking tape.  A lot of the stuff at places like Home Depot or walmart is junk.  The best kind (in my opinion at least) is the green 3M kind for automotive use.  You can find it at some O'Reillys stores.  It costs about 4 bucks per roll.  When you remove the tape do NOT just grab it and start pulling.  Fold the tape back over itself and pull it slowly so that it "cuts".

TED

Edited by TED
to buy more tape.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, jlknox11 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What color are you using for the orange/ red color? I have been doing red and yellow like the holiday innovations ones because I cant find a good orange color to look like the poloron color. I have like 25 more to do, I don't think I will ever finish.

Here is an update, now that summer is slowing down I am getting back to work on the blow molds, got 1 caroler done, minus a few spots to touch up.  I'm not a pro, nor is it perfect, but I am happy with it.2016-09-15 17.52.03.jpg2016-09-15 21.24.06.jpg

• Like 2

No problem.  I will be posting more pictures as I get things done.  Have 4 more carolers to do, finish the bottom of my Poloron Mechanical Santa, and also finish my Poloron Sleigh/Santa