Jump to content
News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

PhotoRay

What is this?!

Recommended Posts

Saw these (home-made?) tree displays this last year. Have never seen anything like them before. The lights look programmed "moving" around inside these small trees showing through frosted acrylic. Looks like some rgb rope light or strings running around the inside edge of the tree. Anybody know anything about them?

P1120073.JPG

P1120087.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG! That's amazing! How did you find that?  :o

It looks almost identical. Thank you!

Edited by PhotoRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhotoRay said:

OMG! That's amazing! How did you find that?  :o

It looks almost identical.

I collect vintage Christmas Lighting, including the Lighting Guides that were popular from the 50's through the 70's. I gave a talk at the last two Christmas Expo's on the History of Christmas Lighting and covered a lot of this. Many are finding the "next big idea" is often hidden away in one of these guides. These Lighting Guides were compiled by illumination engineers and implemented the very best practices in lighting. Even though technology has changed, good lighting technique have not.

Here's a link to several of those guides: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcarter629/collections/72157635505741139/

Here's a link to my website: http://www.christmascraftsman.com/

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blend that Traditional design with modern technology. Wow, that was pretty cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I want to make my own version of this tree with rgb pixel lights. I'm thinking of maybe using LOR's string of Cosmic Pixels since I already have a LOR setup. It will also need an outline with a pixel strip around the inside of the front plexi glass (2 props total - about 400 to 500 channels). 

The more I read about pixel setups, the more confused I get.  :wacko:

Any suggestions on how to proceed and what hardware and software to use for a decoration like this? Thanks!

P1120796.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2016 at 2:46 PM, JeffCarter said:

I collect vintage Christmas Lighting, including the Lighting Guides that were popular from the 50's through the 70's. I gave a talk at the last two Christmas Expo's on the History of Christmas Lighting and covered a lot of this. Many are finding the "next big idea" is often hidden away in one of these guides. These Lighting Guides were compiled by illumination engineers and implemented the very best practices in lighting. Even though technology has changed, good lighting technique have not.

Here's a link to several of those guides: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcarter629/collections/72157635505741139/

Here's a link to my website: http://www.christmascraftsman.com/

Such a cool website!  Thank you for putting in the work to create that.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PhotoRay said:

So I want to make my own version of this tree with rgb pixel lights. I'm thinking of maybe using LOR's string of Cosmic Pixels since I already have a LOR setup. It will also need an outline with a pixel strip around the inside of the front plexi glass (2 props total - about 400 to 500 channels). 

The more I read about pixel setups, the more confused I get.  :wacko:

Any suggestions on how to proceed and what hardware and software to use for a decoration like this? Thanks!

P1120796.jpg

LOR is not my area of expertise but there is a forum for that: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/forum/262-light-o-rama-world/

Ask your question in that forum and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks willing to walk you through the process. Post a pic of your tree in this thread when you're done. I would love to see what you come up with.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JeffCarter said:

LOR is not my area of expertise but there is a forum for that: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/forum/262-light-o-rama-world/

Ask your question in that forum and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks willing to walk you through the process. Post a pic of your tree in this thread when you're done. I would love to see what you come up with.

 

 

Will do... thanks Jeff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2016 at 0:12 AM, PhotoRay said:

Saw these (home-made?) tree displays this last year. Have never seen anything like them before. The lights look programmed "moving" around inside these small trees showing through frosted acrylic. Looks like some rgb rope light or strings running around the inside edge of the tree. Anybody know anything about them?

 

On 1/2/2017 at 3:45 PM, PhotoRay said:

So I want to make my own version of this tree with rgb pixel lights. I'm thinking of maybe using LOR's string of Cosmic Pixels since I already have a LOR setup. It will also need an outline with a pixel strip around the inside of the front plexi glass (2 props total - about 400 to 500 channels). 

The more I read about pixel setups, the more confused I get.  :wacko:

Any suggestions on how to proceed and what hardware and software to use for a decoration like this? Thanks!

It sounds like you saw those trees somewhere local to you.  If that is the case then why don't you try to ask the person that displayed them?

I agree with you about the whole RGB/Pixel thing.  It is complicated.  I think the first step in learning about them is confusion!  There are lots of Christmas gatherings ranging from small workshop demonstrations to large conventions.  I'd try to find one near you and attend.  There will almost certainly be a presentation or class on RGB/pixels.

TED

Edited by TED
to light up trees!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is amazing! @Big J Illinois and I were looking for modern build plans for this! I like your idea to use pixels. I was going to try to do something similar but with standard LED strings. ( thread here)

@PhotoRay can you share the dimensions of your build? also are you planning to chrome or make the PVC tubes reflective at all? I was planning to maybe try a metallic paint on the inside of the tubes to make them "brighter"..

Edited by [email protected]
adding link to thread
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2017 at 6:24 AM, [email protected] said:

This is amazing! @Big J Illinois and I were looking for modern build plans for this! I like your idea to use pixels. I was going to try to do something similar but with standard LED strings. ( thread here)

@PhotoRay can you share the dimensions of your build? also are you planning to chrome or make the PVC tubes reflective at all? I was planning to maybe try a metallic paint on the inside of the tubes to make them "brighter"..

Sorry for the late response. I thought I had posted this a while back. No plans to use chrome paint. I think pixels will be bright enough on their own.

Bubble Tree Plans 2017.jpg

Edited by PhotoRay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good.  I cannot imagine the time it will take to setup and sequence it =p

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2017 at 9:05 AM, ccrowder said:

Looking good.  I cannot imagine the time it will take to setup and sequence it =p

Just think of the possibilities!  :-)

Minor progress. Inserting nodes into the back panel.

P1130063.jpg

P1130064.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the build looks great....they are going to look incredible with the pixels!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot see the base of your tree.. how many pixels per setup you end up with?  (and looking great!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 1:19 PM, ccrowder said:

Cannot see the base of your tree.. how many pixels per setup you end up with?  (and looking great!)

98 nodes and about 40 nodes on a pixel strip that will go around the inside front edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, ccrowder said:

 I cannot imagine the time it will take to setup and sequence it =p

With Xlights and a custom model....I bet it won't be too bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×