News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

2018!

The PlanetChristmas Forums will be revamped February 1, 2018Read more here.

Andy Anderson

Announcing the 9th annual Virginia Mini on May 21, 2016

The 9th Annual Virginia Mini will be held on Saturday, May 21, 2016.  Matthew Satterwhite has graciously offered to host the mini again this year.  The location will be HanoverAcademy located at 115 Frances Road in Ashland, VA23005.   HanoverAcademy is just off I95 in Ashland which is on the north side of Richmond. 

The minis are an excellent opportunity to meet with other Christmas lighting enthusiasts to share ideas, design plans, implementation, sequencing or just to meet other with the same goals in Christmas lighting displays.

We want to allow time for everyone attending to introduce themselves and tell us about their favorite display element. We want to give you a heads up so you can prepare to either bring the element or take pictures or videos of it and describe the details of how you built it and how it works.  This could take some time, but we'll all learn so much more!  Anything from your display that you would like to share with the group.  Talk about why it is special to you, or why you made it, how you made it or anything you want to share about it.  There is always a story to tell. 

We will provide drinks.  Like last year we are asking everyone to bring some food to share with the group for lunch.  Cost will be $5 per person to pay for use of the building.

Further details will be announced later.  We will start with a meet and greet about 11:00 AM, with lunch at noon.  Then start the mini at 1:00 PM and be over by 4:00 PM

Matthew & I look forward to seeing everyone.

Edited by Andy Anderson
correced sizing
  • Like 1

THANK YOU  ANDY AND MATT FOR DOING THIS AGAIN. I WILL SEE EVERYONE ON MAY 21. ALWAYS A GREAT TIME IS HAD BY ALL.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

Thanks for hosting it again and having it at the same location. I'm looking forward to attending and will bring one of my bells I made last year. Will Matt or someone have a laptop handy that I can bring a flash drive with pictures and videos to share?

Later,

Al

• Like 1

Paul Sessel/CDI, Christmas Done Bright and Holiday Lights Express have committed to help sponsor our mini and have contributed items for door prizes.

Things are falling into place for another excellent mini.

Andy & Matthew

• Like 1

We are looking forward to this. Thanks for hosting again.

We usually spend the weekend in Richmond. Do you know of any nice hotels/motels in

Ashland that are not too far away?

I plan on being in attendance of all the fellow local light enthusiast.  Thank you again for sponsoring this meeting.  Hope everyone has been doing well.  I have been soo busy this off-season so far with so many hopes and plans but ultimately hope to get a fe new ideas incorporated.

• Like 1

I hope to be there as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

• Like 1

Hello All,

You will have to have fun without me. My plans have changed and I will be hosting a yard sale on the 21st with my beautiful lady to raise money for our Cancer fundraising bike ride in August. Wish that it will be a fun event for everyone.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Announcing several more sponsors for the Virginia mini. 

Thanks to Light-O-Rama, WOW Lights and Christmas LEDs.com for also contributing some door prizes.

Thank you again for sponsoring this meeting again.  Hope everyone continues to be doing well.  While I did not login to make this public announcement, I still have BNIB LED strands available if anyone was interested , just text me (7573295826) if interested.  Thanks.

Can you please give me some more info about what type of LEDs you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk