News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Big J Illinois    277

Good evening all, I have a 3 car wide driveway, and want to put lighted arches over it. I want 5 total. Each one is 5 ft apart. The problem I am having ,is the arches closest to the garge (26 ft span) is the top of the arches "flatten" and don't have an arch to them. I have tried 3/4 pvc and it's to flimsy. I also have tried using 1/2 steel emt inside to make it ridgid....still, to flimsy and top heavy and bows....I need ideas on the cheap, and have scanned the Internet and no one has ever posted any info for a 3 car wide arch. Also, I cant have any supports in the middle. Ideas?thanks Jeff 

Scott4864    7

Doing a 3 car driveway is going to need a pretty sturdy structure. I would suggest using the pipe for a chain link fence top rail. It comes in 10' and 20' lengths with a swag on one end so you can connect as many as you need together. If you Google "greenhouse hoop bender" you will find a lot of info on how to bend the pipe. I would drill a hole thru the pipe where each pipe connects together and put a bolt or a pin thru the hole to keep the pipe from spinning. 

WLND-DAVID    90

I agree with Scott,  That span will need to be pretty substantial.  Bolting or pinning is a great idea too.  I would think 1-1/2" or even 2" PVC might be needed.  I put together a rough sketch to get some measurements.  You would probably also want to attach a support to the building at the top center and run it out to the outermost arch {attaching at each arch} to keep them from swaying.  That size PVC may also need to be heated to get the proper arc.  Use some chalk on the driveway as a template.  You might also want to consider 1/2" or 3/4" rigid pipe for anchors, instead of rebar.
Let us know as you progress through the project, and don't forget to post pics too.

ARCHplan.jpg

Edited by WLND-DAVID

Big J Illinois    277

Would 2" electrical emt (grey) span that distance , with out heating it up to form the arch? Also, would white pvc be better? Thanks for the input so far, keep ideas coming please:)

Big J Illinois    277

2" grey pvc did the trick!!! A total of 5 arches, the bottom is going to be 1" number 2 and 3 arches will be 1 1/4" , number four arch will be 1 1/2" and number 5 will be 2"  

20160801_174943.jpg

• Like 2

Big J Illinois    277

Update, the nearest one to the house is a 2" , arches 2,3,4 are 1 1/4 and bottom one, closest to the sidewalk is 1". They all store inside each other, . I am using 2000 lighys on them, combines. Going to leave the grey as it is, going to hopefully find garland and cover it. I have put 700 lights on the 2" and it looks super nice. It isn't over powering, but subtle. No controller this year, but by next possibly.  And for sure, the rest of the static display will be LED. 

Rynelson    14

Hey BJ, I am doing arches for my aunt and uncle this year and their driveway is three cars wide like yours. How many 10' pvc pipe lengths did it take you to get across the driveway?

Rynelson    14
On 8/19/2016 at 2:35 PM, Big J Illinois said:

Update, the nearest one to the house is a 2" , arches 2,3,4 are 1 1/4 and bottom one, closest to the sidewalk is 1". They all store inside each other, . I am using 2000 lighys on them, combines. Going to leave the grey as it is, going to hopefully find garland and cover it. I have put 700 lights on the 2" and it looks super nice. It isn't over powering, but subtle. No controller this year, but by next possibly.  And for sure, the rest of the static display will be LED. 

Hey BJ, I am doing arches for my aunt and uncle this year and their driveway is three cars wide like yours. How many 10' pvc pipe lengths did it take you to get across the driveway?