News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

joshua2415

2015 Display...looking for ideas for 2016

Big J Illinois    286

It is also. I use 12 ga cables/ cords and buy from Menards, HD, the heavier plugs, . It's almost like a snake around the house lolol. The lot we are on is 15000 sq ft. Not big by anymeans, but we don't have a million extension cords, and don't want the storage issues. All the plugs and outlets I have, don't just "peirce" the cable, but actually uses fasteners. I know why the sell 50 ,in bulk for HD now. I have heard of those vampire "fangs", that peice the cord, fail.  And u will hear that people haven't had a problem. I don't like to do thinks twice, so I make my own, that's all. Hope that helps, if I can help, let me know Thanks J

On September 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM, joshua2415 said:

I've been lurking here since last year.  I decided to take some ideas from people here and apply them to my display.  Not sure how much I will change or add this year, but I'm looking for input from others.  Here's what I did last year.  I started small a few years back and added each year until I arrived at this point.  Please let me know what you think.  Thank you all! 

House 2015.jpg

Display looks great. Anything you would add will make it better. Awesome job on it. 

joshua2415    3

While arches are cool in some displays I've seen, they're not our cup of tea.  My wife likes very traditional looking displays, and last year we did add a touch of color, which took a great deal of convincing on my part.  I keep trying to add color here and there, but I get shot down.  We'll see what this year brings.  Thanks to everyone for the input and ideas!

joshua2415    3

Here is our 2016 display.  We added another set of reindeer, more net lights & more red lights...still didn't figure a way to get lights over to the other side of the roof above the garage.  Thanks to all who provided suggestions and compliments on last years display, I appreciate it!  Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!!

House 2016.JPG

• Like 1

nickdunn    2

To keep a classic look, I would keep your house and windows all the white, but change your bushes and trees to red and green. Your deer will stand out more in my opinion.

qberg    118

Looks very nice!  The deer filled in the yard nicely.

My suggestion now would be to go back and add to the house now.  IMO, it is getting lost in the display.  Keeping with the red and whites you currently have, I would do the shutters in red or even better red and white.  I have 100 red, green, blue on each shutter and fade the house through the colors....but you get the idea of what I am saying to do.  I think spinning a red and white strand together and then doing the shutters would add a nice mix instead of just bold red shutters.  We did that with our Crepe Myrtle trees this year and they came out with a great candy cane look.  Personally I would do the same to the pillars by the doors too.  That way you have a little bit of color in the house to match the yard.

window.JPG

I have very simple window frames.  1x 1/2" white PVC on top and 1x on the bottom.  They run 8' from one side of the shutter all the way across the top to the other side.  I drilled 4x small holes in the corners of the plastic shutters and use zip ties to hold them in place.  The strands are zip tied to the pvc and I just roll them up to store.  I have no PVC in the vertical, just the strands stretched between the top and bottom piece.  For my house I spiral wrapped them with red electrical tape to match the gingerbread theme, but they are hardly noticeable once up. 

You could finish off the outline of the roof peaks and outline over the top too.

Finally...that garage is screaming for a cover.  I am sure your wife would go for one of the classic elegant ones.

http://www.mydoordecor.com/christmas-garage-door-decor

But like I said....it looks great!  well done!  I am sure your display is a hit in the neighborhood.

joshua2415    3

Thanks nickdunn and qberg for the input.  I appreciate everyone's insight!  My wife wants some solid colors, but she wants to do some mini trees.  The picture is not the best, because the columns are actually wrapped in red and white alternating C5's.   It's also hard to tell, but there is a red, green and white mini tree in the center of the middle group of deer.  I did it kinda fast just to see how it would look; I'm trying to get my wife on board with red and green mixed.  Jeff Carter suggested the house outline to have a red at every 5th light.  I brought it up to my wife...she promptly shot it down.  I have to wean her into the color each year.   I also want to redo the tree where the lights are all through the canopy of the tree.  It's a river birch and the limbs aren't big enough to wrap like they are now.  My wife also wants to put wreaths on the windows next year, so I may redo the frames to just highlight the borders, since a wreath will light up the middle.  I may try the shutter idea...that's not a bad idea.  Thanks again for everyone's input and compliments!