News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

JeffCarter

GE D28 Commercial C9 lamps

JeffCarter    134
11 hours ago, Allen L. said:

I love those flame pattern C9 bulbs too, Ted.  You are right, the bulbs at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Kmart, etc... are garbage and a waste of money.  I buy my C9's and C7's from a Commercial/Municipal Christmas Decorating Company called "Display Sales".  The C9 light bulbs you saw on my house are 6 years old and I have only replaced one bulb that I broke.  The C9's at Display Sales have a life of 3000 hours.

6 hours a day for 31 days = 186 hours per Christmas Season, so these bulbs should last approx. 16 years but if I get 10 years I'll be happy.  You should buy some of these bulbs and look at them.  You can tell the paint is thicker and the overall quality is unbelievable.

Here is the site: https://displaysales.com/product-category/christmas-decorations/bulbs-light-sets/incandescent-bulbs/

Yes, I like to leave the white bulbs out.  It really makes the colors pop.

Allen

White added with colors when outlining a roof does wash them out a bit; however, I had a GE Lighting Engineer tell me that using white lamps sparingly actually helps to color balance your lights and reduces the orange glow when lighting trees and shrubs with multicolored ceramics. This year I tried that and he's right. It makes the blues and greens pop a bit when mixed with red and yellows. I used a white ceramic about every tenth socket.

13 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

That looks awesome, Jeff!  I didn't know that Michael's sold pine garland.  It looks so much better than my cheap pine garland from Lowes. LOL!

This is what I use. It's gone down a bit since I bought it several years ago. It's now $6 at retail. Looks like they are having a clearance right now of this year's stock.

http://www.michaels.com/canadian-pine-garland-9ft/10423314.html#q=pine+garland&start=8

Edited by JeffCarter
  • Like 1

Allen L.    105
2 minutes ago, JeffCarter said:

White added with colors when outlining a roof does wash them out a bit; however, I had a GE Lighting Engineer tell me that using white lamps sparingly actually helps to color balance your lights and reduces the orange glow when lighting trees and shrubs with multicolored ceramics. This year I tried that and he's right. It makes the blues and greens pop a bit when mixed with red and yellows. I used a white ceramic about every tenth socket.

I never knew that, Jeff.  I planted new shrubs last year, because my other ones died.  When they get bigger, I'll try mixing the white bulbs.  When I buy the Large Angle Cut Garland next Fall, I will try the white bulbs along the front of my house.  That garland is so big that the bulbs are semi hidden. 

Oldstuff    11

The angle cut is on sale right now. The 4-1/2" is on sale for $1.26 a foot. I didn't ask about the thicker ones as I'm buying the 4-1/2 for a project. Whats different with Temple Display is that they offer the regular thick "H" cut in the narrower widths. The thick cut semi transparent PVC really gives a fantastic retro look. Especially with the big C9 or C7 lights. And it last many, many years.

• Like 1

Allen L.    105
21 hours ago, TED said:

Thank you for the link.  i will peruse their site further when I get a few minutes.  The Action Lighting bulbs are also rated for 3000 hours.  I wonder if they are the same bulbs.  I don't think that I replaced any of the bulbs the first few years that I used the A.L. bulbs.  I can't remember exactly how long I've had them now though!  We should compare the boxes that the bulbs came in and see if they look the same!

TED

TED,

I made a mistake on where I bought my C7 and C9 bulbs.  The company was not "Display Sales", but was "Creative Displays".

Here is their website:

http://creativedisplays.com/C-9-PRO-GRADE-CERAMIC-MULTI-RGBWO-REPLACEMENT-LAMPS-C-9MC.htm

You will notice the part # C-9MC on the picture of the box and on the web page. You have to purchase a case at $140.00.

25 bulbs per box @ 20 boxes per case = 500 bulbs

Here is the picture of the box.  By the way, I added more pictures of these bulbs for you on page one of this post.

IMG_20170119_193436903_thumb_jpg_858ad534bd7120f430d4a4090fd7ca02.jpg

IMG_20170119_193423121_thumb_jpg_79da0ff2b488c687996109fb6af6292a.jpg

TED    99
On 1/19/2017 at 8:17 PM, Allen L. said:

Here are the pictures of the C9 bulbs that I purchase from Display Sales.  They come in quantities of 25 per box.

It looks like my theory was wrong.  I think the ones from A.L. have aluminum bases rather than brass like in your picture which would suggest that they were not made by the same manufacturer.  The box looks different also.  It may be that Display Sales has a better quality bulb.  I don't remember exactly how long it was before I had to replace one of the A.L. bulbs so I'm not sure.

TED

Allen L.    105
3 hours ago, TED said:

It looks like my theory was wrong.  I think the ones from A.L. have aluminum bases rather than brass like in your picture which would suggest that they were not made by the same manufacturer.  The box looks different also.  It may be that Display Sales has a better quality bulb.  I don't remember exactly how long it was before I had to replace one of the A.L. bulbs so I'm not sure.

TED

Hey Ted,

Not sure if you saw the last reply I sent you, but the company is called "Creative Displays".

Here is the website:

http://creativedisplays.com/C-9-PRO-GRADE-CERAMIC-MULTI-RGBWO-REPLACEMENT-LAMPS-C-9MC.htm

Allen:)

TED    99
16 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

Not sure if you saw the last reply I sent you, but the company is called "Creative Displays".

Oh, of course I'm familiar with Creative Displays.  They are one of the PC vendors that goes way back.  I've met Paul at some of the conventions.  Their pre-sale just ended Friday.  So to clarify you got the bulbs from Creative Displays and not from Display Sales?

TED

Allen L.    105
3 hours ago, TED said:

Oh, of course I'm familiar with Creative Displays.  They are one of the PC vendors that goes way back.  I've met Paul at some of the conventions.  Their pre-sale just ended Friday.  So to clarify you got the bulbs from Creative Displays and not from Display Sales?

TED

Correct.   Their incandescent C7 and C9's are the best quality I have found, so far. 

Allen

TED    99
5 hours ago, Allen L. said:

Correct.   Their incandescent C7 and C9's are the best quality I have found, so far. 

Allen

Darn!  I wish I had figured this out a few days ago.  I was thinking about ordering some bulbs on their pre-sale but couldn't make up my mind and now the sale is over.  I was thinking about ordering some of their 7 watt C7 bulbs for blowmolds for those that aren't quite bright enough with the original 5 watt bulbs.  I could have picked up a few C9s too.  I didn't order multi-color boxes back when I ordered from Action Lighting.  I got individual boxes of red, green, orange, and blue.  Back then A.L. still had some C9s that were 10 watts.  I ordered 10 watt blue bulbs (and 7 watt other colors) so that the blues would show up better.

TED

• Like 1

shane page    89

Here are some pics of the flame bulbs I think you are talking about, and a regular 25 watt bulb that looks to be painted on the inside. A few old strands of lights since we are talking about old bulbs.

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

• Like 4

remixsam    32
On 1/19/2017 at 6:49 PM, Allen L. said:

LOL!!!  I wish I could get those prices on this garland.  This stuff sells for $3 a foot and is 12 inches in diameter.

Here is a picture that "remixsam" made of his Angle Cut Garland with Ornaments.  This is the Garland I've been wanting for a long time, and I need 80 feet of it.

To Sam (remixsam) wherever you are.

Sorry for using your picture Sam, but it's the only picture I know of that shows how the original Green Angle Cut Garland looked like with my 1965 Bells and Commercial C9 lights. 

1424300_10101872530770242_118745457_n.jpg

No worries.. I'm happy to share 

• Like 1