News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Scot Meyers    10

Ok 

So New House  NEw display!!   and you get to share your ideas !!!

the house sits on a hill but to the west is a whole nother acres for decorating  so the canvas is new and the display ideas ar unlimited.   but my brain is in hyperdrive and cannot come down  the ideas running thru my head are crazy  but if you have any good ones  you can share them here....

pic 1 and 2 are the front of the house   pic 3 is the extra acre we own to the west of the driveway  and pic 4 is on the acre facing the drive way...

to help  with ideas   I am brining the following items to the new house 

I have a mega reee

blowmold Nativity

a ton of those new blowmold lights

the santa scene

light flurries

tons of porch greeters

lots of PVC for creating new stuff

Gemmy animateds  

the coroplast frosting..

READY SET GO!!  I cant wait to hear your ideas.

ISyz1pztpq1lgj0000000000.jpg

IS6mk0xdsx77hj0000000000.jpg

ISyn04x4hvv95u1000000000.jpg

IS2zrrve0zyk5u1000000000.jpg

• Like 1

drkness    59

Thats a scary roof to ever want to be on!   But man do you have a ton of room to do things.   With that a amount of room you could do more then one mega tree or one a little smaller.   Add some arches, or make some gaint snowflakes to put throughout the yard. 

TED    99
19 hours ago, Scot Meyers said:

Ok 

So New House  NEw display!!   and you get to share your ideas !!!

the house sits on a hill but to the west is a whole nother acres for decorating  so the canvas is new and the display ideas ar unlimited.   but my brain is in hyperdrive and cannot come down  the ideas running thru my head are crazy  but if you have any good ones  you can share them here....

pic 1 and 2 are the front of the house   pic 3 is the extra acre we own to the west of the driveway  and pic 4 is on the acre facing the drive way...

to help  with ideas   I am brining the following items to the new house

Hey Scot!

Congratulations!  That is a really nice looking house!  The yard is huge!

Here are a couple of ideas that came to mind immediately.  First of all that front yard is just begging for some kind of downhill skiing and/or sledding scene.  I remember a few years ago someone posted pictures of blowmolds with those lighted candy canes laid down on each side like skis.  (Not the big blowmold canes, the lighted canes that are about 1" in diameter.)  The front porch would be a great place for some lighted Christmas trees.  You could put one at each end and maybe have some kind of scene in the middle--maybe a Santa and/or a snowman scene.

I see that your list does not include a train.  Do you not have the train anymore?  There would sure be room for it in the large side yard.  That yard is so big it's actually a bit overwhelming trying to think of what to fill it up with (which is not a bad problem to have)!

10 hours ago, drkness said:

Thats a scary roof to ever want to be on!

The upper roof does look prohibitively steep!  However, the porch roof does not.  I think you could get up on the porch roof and from there put lights on the front of the upper roof.  Then of course you could put lights on the porch roof from a ladder.  The lower roof to the right can probably also be done from a ladder so there are a lot of accessible roof lines to light up!
TED

Edited by TED
to think up more ideas!

Before you start, get rid of the callery pear trees before they bloom. Then I will proceed to give you advice. 

• Like 1

Scot Meyers    10
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Logan L. Johnson said:

Before you start, get rid of the callery pear trees before they bloom. Then I will proceed to give you advice. 

what  is wrong with the callery pear tree?

curious

• Like 1

First of all, that one beside your house looks like it is getting ready to split apart (it's the unstable 'bradford' cultivar). Not to mention, they are invasive in the majority of the United States and wreak havoc in our forest understory along with other invasive privets. Also, the flowers smell strongly of rotting fish, so better to remove them now before they bloom.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/050223.html

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/life/2016/03/21/curse-bradford-pear/82070210/

http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=10957

http://mc-iris.org/callery-pear---a-bad-bad-plant-with-pretty-flowers.html

Since this is a christmas light forum, that's all the guidance I will give. If you would like further suggestions, please create a houzz account and post on the gardenweb forums. (link below)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/trees (do not post in houzz forums, those people have no idea what they're talking about)

Scot Meyers    10
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, TED said:

Hey Scot!

Congratulations!  That is a really nice looking house!  The yard is huge!

Here are a couple of ideas that came to mind immediately.  First of all that front yard is just begging for some kind of downhill skiing and/or sledding scene.  I remember a few years ago someone posted pictures of blowmolds with those lighted candy canes laid down on each side like skis.  (Not the big blowmold canes, the lighted canes that are about 1" in diameter.)  The front porch would be a great place for some lighted Christmas trees.  You could put one at each end and maybe have some kind of scene in the middle--maybe a Santa and/or a snowman scene.

I see that your list does not include a train.  Do you not have the train anymore?  There would sure be room for it in the large side yard.  That yard is so big it's actually a bit overwhelming trying to think of what to fill it up with (which is not a bad problem to have)!

The upper roof does look prohibitively steep!  However, the porch roof does not.  I think you could get up on the porch roof and from there put lights on the front of the upper roof.  Then of course you could put lights on the porch roof from a ladder.  The lower roof to the right can probably also be done from a ladder so there are a lot of accessible roof lines to light up!
TED

I don't have the train or the animated band  but the train will be re built at the new house  with more track

TED    99
On 2/7/2017 at 8:54 AM, Scot Meyers said:

I don't have the train or the animated band  but the train will be re built at the new house  with more track

That sounds great--you definitely have plenty of space for more track!

TED

BamaSanta    93

Love the house and the possibilities are unlimited. Just what you can imagine. That 2nd story arched window is screaming for a tree or the projected Santa scene.