News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

carsonsig

Which LOR package for move from Regular to pixels?

So, I bought a 16 string ribbon tree from Holidaycoro.  I will buy some sequences to have a full show this year, but want to make a few as well!

I have 32 LOR channells now, running my standard LED setups....

Long term plans include some fascia and window outlines, arches, all smart pixels.

What package do I NEED to make these pizels do what I want?  Pro gets me pixel editor... but dang... getting up there in $$..

I will spend $ to save time, but not if these features will be way over my head as a noob pixel guy...  Love to hear your thoughts

Hi Carsonsig,

I would suggest the advanced license and add Superstar. My opinion is that even though Pixel Editor (PE) is a powerful tool it has a bit more of a learning curve. Both Superstar and PE can do a lot of the same effects and control the same kind of lights. You might find more CCR/DMX sequences using Superstar than you will programmed by PE.

Also, Superstar is more of a "sequencing" tool whereas PE is more of an "Effects Generator" similar to X-Lights. If you have a grasp on LOR sequencing using Sequence Editor I'm pretty sure you'll find Superstar a bit easier to learn. PE isn't as hard as X-lights but it still relies on creating effects that you then drop in the timeline at whatever point in time of the song you want.

This is just my opinion in using Superstar quite a bit, some in PE and dabbling in X-Lights. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Al

• Like 1

Interesting.  So PE might be the advanced package.... Not something I am gonna pick up this spring and be able to learn, utilize to any great effect by turkey day....

I would suggest watching the tutorials on LOR's website about using Superstar and PE and see which one seems easier to pickup. For me Superstar was pretty easy but then again I've taken a few of Brian Bruderer's classes at Christmas Expos. I also took the Pixel Editor class at the 2015 Expo and it seems not to bad to pick up but again the programs have their pluses and minuses. Superstar, for me, is a better sequencing tool but it is a bit harder to get some effects to work and look good. The PE is real good for effects but it isn't a sequencing tool, more of an effects generator then you drop that effect where you want it.

Since you already use and know LOR , I'm thinking Superstar may be the way to go. As far as the LOR license levels are concerned, for Superstar you just need the advanced level but for PE you'll need the Pro level. Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Al

Or you could always move to xLights

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, ozaz said:

Or you could always move to xLights

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

lord... just what I need!  a NEW program