Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gordonswoggle

More Moving Head Help

Hey all! Im new to this site but it looks like a great place to get information about christmas light help. First, I would like to purchase some moving head lights. The only thing is that 1, I do not know what brand is best, what brand is the cheapest, and what wattage would be good to set a decent beam into the air. Now, I live in san leandro, Ca so i have a few airports around me but if i manage to keep them out of the paths of the planes or possibly the wattage low enough, then I should be fine. But overall i just dont know where i can buy very very chep heads along with domes for them to keep them safe.  Any answers will help. Thanks! (If the orders can possibly come in bulk like 4 or 5 lights in one shipment that that would be great too) Thanks all again!

-Gordon

It depends on what class the laser is....I do know, that a certain class, requires licensure from the FAA and big brother.... good luck and welcome

34 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

It depends on what class the laser is....I do know, that a certain class, requires licensure from the FAA and big brother.... good luck and welcome

Do you know exactly where i need to go to get one? Do you think maybe like a 60 or 70 watt light would need a license?

Please, before you shine anything into the sky, check with your local government, especially since you live near a few airports.  Some of the fines can be huge.  I read about one guy who was fined $1000.00.  

3 minutes ago, donna123 said:

Please, before you shine anything into the sky, check with your local government, especially since you live near a few airports.  Some of the fines can be huge.  I read about one guy who was fined $1000.00.  

The same question i asked Big J, do you know where the requirements would be located on the faa website? maybe link?

12 minutes ago, Gordonswoggle said:

The same question i asked Big J, do you know what the requirements would be located on the faa website? maybe link?

Sorry, I don't know.  I would go ask my city or town officials and if they do not know then they will probably direct you to the proper authority.  

Sorry to hijack for a moment..........Hi Big J, I'm good.... how about you?:)

3 minutes ago, Gordonswoggle said:

So would the moving heads be considered lasers is what your saying?

I don't think it has to be just a laser.  It can be any type of light beamed upward.  If a pilot, or the airport sees it they will report it to the local police and they will come looking for it and if they find you they will issue a fine.  It's easier just to ask first.  

gotcha, thank you so much. As to my other two questions of which wattage would create a beam without fog would be great. Thanks again to both of you guys.

2 minutes ago, Gordonswoggle said:

gotcha, thank you so much. As to my other two questions of which wattage would create a beam without fog would be great. Thanks again to both of you guys.

You are very welcome.  Good Luck with your display!

I know here, in Illinois, tmyou must be registered  and MUST notify FAA, of any vertical, horizontal laser is age of I beleive, 500mw or more...

IDK, go look on the FAA website and look...you should see some of the specifics on there. You just can't , go willy nilly, with lasers and not expect a visit form big brother. I am not sure what you are doing. So I can only point in the direction you should go towards. Post pics with diagram, or pic of what u r doing, for all to see and share:)

are you talking about the moving heads with lasers or just leds like the stage lighting in this example? 

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Lighting-Professional-Channels-100-240V/dp/B01DXK33FC/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1497517939&sr=1-7&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A7103859011

As a pilot, realize the lasers travel miles and you don't want em shining up or in aircraft flight paths.  big fines and even those little laser pointers can damage the retina in the eye.   If you are talking about the LED stage lighting, you are going to be fine unless you are spending thousands of dollars for some really high powered stuff.  Trying to set up a WWII anti-aircraft search light is not a good idea, and like mentioned above you are only going to see it with fog or low clouds.  Check out the FAA sight here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/lasers/hazards/

I contemplated using the RGB stage lighting as flood lights for the house and programing them to move back and forth and change color, but they get spendy really quick.  The cheaper ones are indoor only so you have to take em down every night and then put em back up exactly straight.  And I was reading they are difficult to program with sequences.