News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

RichardG

GFP Closing

RichardG    52

If you're on Facebook, then you have seen this post. If not well here is the letter customers of GFP received in the mail. 

After Christmas of this year GFP will be closing for good. 

IMG_5274.JPG

Edited by RichardG

donna123    105

Oh no....this just made me so sad.  This really stinks.  I feel overwhelmingly sad right now. :(

Yes Stan Hobbs I have a question for you.....What is going to happen to all the molds????

Edited by donna123
  • Like 1

Big J Illinois    277

WOW, how SAD!!! A few questions for ya'll.... is it cooperate greed and being sent over seas? Does this mean GF items will go through the roof in price?

RichardG    52
Oh no....this just made me so sad.  This really stinks.  I feel overwhelmingly sad right now.
Yes Stan Hobbs I have a question for you.....What is going to happen to all the molds????

As a business owner. I called him. He never called back. With that said I've been in touch with my contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOW, how SAD!!! A few questions for ya'll.... is it cooperate greed and being sent over seas? Does this mean GF items will go through the roof in price?

They won't say. But they aren't being sent overseas. They are closing completely. Part of it I feel is us the customer. So many have complained about their paint. The design. Blah blah blah. So people stopped buying them. Stores quit carrying them. It took a toll.

• Like 1

Big J Illinois    277

I wish I had the means to by all the stamping, patents and equipment to keep it in business....i know, I'm a dreamer lolol

• Like 4

Franchise_24    69
1 hour ago, Big J Illinois said:

Want to talk about corporate greed and sending jobs overseas?  I have worked for Best Buy for 8 years now.  The last 5 of these years I have been working from home doing remote IT support.  You have issues, you call in and link up with us, I fix your problem.  Last Wednesday we found out that they are cutting 70% of our jobs (yes I got let go) and they are having our 3rd party company in the Philippines take over all the work.  Talk about a kick in the gut!  Now this with GF.  Where are we ever going to get brand new molds now?  I normally would buy 1 or 2 new ones each year, but who knows I may not even be able to afford to put up my display this year.  Corporate greed sucks!

• Like 1

Don Mcabee    76
1 hour ago, Big J Illinois said:

I wish I had the means to by all the stamping, patents and equipment to keep it in business....i know, I'm a dreamer lolol

same thought crossed my mind too

• Like 2

RichardG    52

Keep in mind Cado is still in business. They have Union and some TPI and Grand Venture molds.

Allen L.    104

Very sad news.  I'm so glad I have my molds and will pamper them even more now that this has happened.  You can look forward to the price of molds on ebay skyrocketing.  Better get what you want from GFP and ebay, while you can still afford it.  I wouldn't be surprised, if some China company buys the molds and then redesigns them to put crappy solar lights in them that only last for two hours and gives them that ugly bluish light look.  My greatest fear is that the molds will be thrown away or sold to collectors that will never produce them again.  I hate saying this, but I feel that we Christmas loving blow molders are a dying breed of people.  It is true that there are some new lovers, but the truth is that a large majority of people in our country have been losing the Christmas spirit for many years.  Just look at how many neighborhoods and homes are dark at Christmas across our land.  Many cities and towns hardly put anything up.  These things started a long time ago and just continues to get worse as the years roll on.  Most Americans seemed happier and optimistic back in the 1950s, 60's , 70's, & 80's than today.  I hope America finds its happiness again someday.  No matter what happens, I'll keep putting my stuff up and hope the younger people will see what Christmas was once like in America.  I need to just shut up, because talking about this brings me down. :(

To all my fellow Christmas blow molders, I say keep the joy alive in your hearts and on your lawns and never let it die.  Now I need to go look at my molds to lift my spirits back up again.

• Like 7

Rush0212    43

OMG  This is sad, sad news, I'm in shock!! I mean come on now, its all about the blow molds!!!

But i can honestly say I have almost all I want at this point now, well, am about to order my 4th and last life size nativity camel right now, before their gone...

RichardG    52
Very sad news.  I'm so glad I have my molds and will pamper them even more now that this has happened.  You can look forward to the price of molds on ebay skyrocketing.  Better get what you want from GFP and ebay, while you can still afford it.  I wouldn't be surprised, if some China company buys the molds and then redesigns them to put crappy solar lights in them that only last for two hours and gives them that ugly bluish light look.  My greatest fear is that the molds will be thrown away or sold to collectors that will never produce them again.  I hate saying this, but I feel that we Christmas loving blow molders are a dying breed of people.  It is true that there are some new lovers, but the truth is that a large majority of people in our country have been losing the Christmas spirit for many years.  Just look at how many neighborhoods and homes are dark at Christmas across our land.  Many cities and towns hardly put anything up.  These things started a long time ago and just continues to get worse as the years roll on.  Most Americans seemed happier and optimistic back in the 1950s, 60's , 70's, & 80's than today.  I hope America finds its happiness again someday.  No matter what happens, I'll keep putting my stuff up and hope the younger people will see what Christmas was once like in America.  I need to just shut up, because talking about this brings me down.
 To all my fellow Christmas blow molders, I say keep the joy alive in your hearts and on your lawns and never let it die.  Now I need to go look at my molds to lift my spirits back up again.

Sadly I think the evilbayers are already swooping in on them in other groups this has been posted. Sad cause that's what will happen for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Greed has nothing to do with it.  It's absurd to even pose that question.  A business isn't a charity.  It has to be profitable if it wants to stay in business.  That isn't greed.  It's a fact of life.   People just don't buy blow molds anymore. Their time has passed. They'll be closing down the Empire plant in Tarboro.  That sad!   

Edited by Empire Fanatic

RichardG    52
Greed has nothing to do with it.  It's absurd to even pose that question.  A business isn't a charity.  It has to be profitable if it wants to stay in business.  That isn't greed.  It's a fact of life.   People just don't buy blow molds anymore. Their time has passed. They'll be closing down the Empire plant in Tarboro.  That sad!   

Not so much people buying, but stores quit buying due to size and space they take up.
As for jobs the NC plant and corporate office in Virginia Beach. Nice people at the office as well. I've talked to a few.

• Like 1

JeffCarter    126

They should have gone mail order or at least offered that option. I would make their molds available to those who would like them but don't have a local retail option.

• Like 2

donna123    105
10 hours ago, Allen L. said:

Very sad news.  I'm so glad I have my molds and will pamper them even more now that this has happened.  You can look forward to the price of molds on ebay skyrocketing.  Better get what you want from GFP and ebay, while you can still afford it.  I wouldn't be surprised, if some China company buys the molds and then redesigns them to put crappy solar lights in them that only last for two hours and gives them that ugly bluish light look.  My greatest fear is that the molds will be thrown away or sold to collectors that will never produce them again.  I hate saying this, but I feel that we Christmas loving blow molders are a dying breed of people.  It is true that there are some new lovers, but the truth is that a large majority of people in our country have been losing the Christmas spirit for many years.  Just look at how many neighborhoods and homes are dark at Christmas across our land.  Many cities and towns hardly put anything up.  These things started a long time ago and just continues to get worse as the years roll on.  Most Americans seemed happier and optimistic back in the 1950s, 60's , 70's, & 80's than today.  I hope America finds its happiness again someday.  No matter what happens, I'll keep putting my stuff up and hope the younger people will see what Christmas was once like in America.  I need to just shut up, because talking about this brings me down. :(

Allen,

I  thought the same thing about the molds.  I think my heart would sink if I ever saw one of my favorite blow molds stamped with "Made in China".  What you said here is exactly how I feel.

• Like 2

Mel Fischer    296
19 hours ago, RichardG said:

Keep in mind Cado is still in business. They have Union and some TPI and Grand Venture molds.

True, but they offer very little in holiday blow molds.

Mel

Big J Illinois    277

I just have to say, looking on scum-bay, the rejects have started the price hike already.....

• Like 2

Don Mcabee    76
21 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

I just have to say, looking on scum-bay, the rejects have started the price hike already.....

it didn't take long for the vultures to grab the road kill did it big j

• Like 1

Don Mcabee    76

Between feebay, and Facebook, I have watched molds turn to gold in the last 24hrs. Sadly as the supply runs thin they will increase even more in price, BUT....the rule of thumb still applies that a mold is only as valuable as what the buyer is willing to pay. Could this be the death of yet another holiday tradition????? time will tell 

• Like 1

Big J Illinois    277

Flee-Bay, I have seen ALOT of molds go up as much as 60%, since Sunday evening...I hope the flees, choke on there money

• Like 1

donna123    105

Wow, I thought it was me.....I have been on ebay the last few days, just browsing, but I did notice the bidding seems to be starting at a higher price than last year and shipping charges are insane with many sellers. 

Edited by donna123

Allen L.    104
1 hour ago, donna123 said:

Wow, I thought it was me.....I have been on ebay the last few days, just browsing, but I did notice the bidding seems to be starting at a higher price than last year and shipping charges are insane with many sellers. 

So true, Donna.  I too have notice a rise in prices on ebay.  Unfortunately, I believe this is just the sad beginning of things to come. 

• Like 1