News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

RichardG

GFP Closing

Mel Fischer    296

In my opinion the first angel at $15.99 is a fair price considering it is in new condition.  The second one is a total ripoff and the third one (General Foam "Celestial Angel") is a fair price considering it's age.

Mel

• Like 1

Allen L.    104
1 hour ago, Big J Illinois said:

I seen angels on there, same one (s) practically,what a gouging....

Screenshot_2017-07-18-17-49-45.png

Oh look, just what I'd been hoping for all my life! A faded Angel that needs repainting for $69.99 and free shipping too!  Oh Joy! Oh Rapture!  I hope I can contain my excitement! 

Stuff like that makes me want to laugh my head off!  Oh well, some poor idiot out there just might buy it.  They say there's a sucker born every minute.

From what I've seen, some of the sellers on eBay have lowered the price of the item but increased the price of shipping. Seems like the shipping prices have become unreasonable, like the seller is trying to make money on shipping. 

ccrowder    22

They do it to try and get around the fees for selling the item.  Ebay takes nothing from the 'shipping' costs.

• Like 1

RichardG    52

Mel,
That's very true. Why I went with GFP for my order first and not Cado.

GF has said there has been some interest for the aluminum molds as well. So we shall see.
The bad thing, their yearly warehouse sale all the evilbay people will be there snagging up the molds so they can flip them outrageously on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mel Fischer    296

Richard, there may be some interest in the aluminum molds but will there be anyone interested enough to pay a decent price for them.  There are some of us that watched what new items GF came out with the past few years and immediately knew we would never add any of them to our collections or displays, especially the flat modernistic ones.  Whatever happened to the happy, cheerful holiday blow mold designs that brightened our neighborhoods up until the early 2000's?  In my opinion General Foam did their share of bringing their demise in the plastic business by going to the modernistic and LED lighted items out at the expense of the traditional cheerful designs that make people happy.  I don't know if GF still has the Beco molds in their inventory or if possibly they don't exist anymore, but if they do I wonder if they had produced some of those like the 30" boy & girl "Angel Singers" or the 30" Choir singers would they have been successful with the stores buying them and what about the 22" ones?  I doubt they would have gotten enough orders for the 40" ones though because of the high price they would have to get for them.  Possibly they just thought that the younger generations wouldn't have any interest in the happy cheerful designs anymore and only want modernistic boring looking designs in there yards now.

I have not taken pictures of our collection of 30" Beco choir and angel singers yet so I can not include links to most of them.

http://blow-molded.com/Beco___Angels.html

http://blow-molded.com/Beco___Carol_%26_Choir.html

Mel

• Like 2

donna123    105

Just to add.....even with the smaller 13-16 inch molds, there was no change over the years.  They could have taken some advice from the folks here who practically begged for them to change molds every year.  I wish they had produced a few that were not seen in quite a while.  That would have been so exciting.   I always thought that the smaller molds in the stores were easy to grab and go.  When Walmart, a few years ago, decided to sell the Pumpkin Scarecrow Man and the Pumpkin on top of the Cat (sorry I can't think of the exact names at the moment) they were sold out pretty quickly in my local store.  If there were more choices I would have purchsed many pieces.  At $9.99 ea. they moved quickly.

• Like 1

Allen L.    104
2 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Richard, there may be some interest in the aluminum molds but will there be anyone interested enough to pay a decent price for them.  There are some of us that watched what new items GF came out with the past few years and immediately knew we would never add any of them to our collections or displays, especially the flat modernistic ones.  Whatever happened to the happy, cheerful holiday blow mold designs that brightened our neighborhoods up until the early 2000's?  In my opinion General Foam did their share of bringing their demise in the plastic business by going to the modernistic and LED lighted items out at the expense of the traditional cheerful designs that make people happy.  I don't know if GF still has the Beco molds in their inventory or if possibly they don't exist anymore, but if they do I wonder if they had produced some of those like the 30" boy & girl "Angel Singers" or the 30" Choir singers would they have been successful with the stores buying them and what about the 22" ones?  I doubt they would have gotten enough orders for the 40" ones though because of the high price they would have to get for them.  Possibly they just thought that the younger generations wouldn't have any interest in the happy cheerful designs anymore and only want modernistic boring looking designs in there yards now.

I have not taken pictures of our collection of 30" Beco choir and angel singers yet so I can not include links to most of them.

http://blow-molded.com/Beco___Angels.html

http://blow-molded.com/Beco___Carol_%26_Choir.html

Mel

Thanks Mel, for saying what you did.  You said the exact things I felt inside, but just didn't want to post them here.  Some people may like them but to me they look like ugly flat jello molds.  There is nothing magical or happy about them.  It's like going to the store to buy a Christmas Tree and coming home with a cardboard print cut-out instead.  I do hope the vintage aluminum molds will be saved.

Allen

2 hours ago, donna123 said:

Just to add.....even with the smaller 13-16 inch molds, there was no change over the years.  They could have taken some advice from the folks here who practically begged for them to change molds every year.  I wish they had produced a few that were not seen in quite a while.  That would have been so exciting.   I always thought that the smaller molds in the stores were easy to grab and go.  When Walmart, a few years ago, decided to sell the Pumpkin Scarecrow Man and the Pumpkin on top of the Cat (sorry I can't think of the exact names at the moment) they were sold out pretty quickly in my local store.  If there were more choices I would have purchsed many pieces.  At $9.99 ea. they moved quickly.

Agree 100% with you Donna!

• Like 2

RichardG    52

Now hold on guys lets not bash them all the way to the ground. While I agree the latest molds weren't the happy cheerful we are used to. GF was trying to aim at the retailer to get back into stores. Which obviously didn't work. They lost a "big" account when Walmart decided to go a different route for seasonal and quit carrying GFP. So as much as everyone complained about GF we can't blame them for trying.

Plus the cost of resin that they use in the plastic has been all over the place price wise. They just couldn't compete with a competitor anymore and has for their shutdown.

Trust me when I say every time I chatted with my sales rep or someone at GFP I always told them everyone's thoughts. Their concerns and any ideas. Sadly it seemed GFP was going down the last couple of years.

As for the Beco molds, Mel. Kevin and I were discussing that as well. A lot we wonder. But sure as they start liquidation hopefully we will get more info. And hopefully they don't end up being scrapped.

Big J Illinois    277

I agree with Allen...the last 10 years have been SUPER UGLY.... now air brush paint, solid colors only...yukkkk....and the few they did have by me, the over spray was so much, you would take hours ,with brake clean,cleaning off the overspray...sloppy QC in my opinion. And for others, think the same!! It's there own demise....and the idiots from coprate cause the demise,shame on them for there "Lack" of giving a rats you know what.... so in essence, they are finished, 1000's of gainfully employed people, now join the soup line, on the tax paying folks as ourselves...I hope the "higher ups" choke on the severance packages they fell they have "earned"....congrats to all the GFP coperate, board members and game planners, you outdid yourselves....just my rant, sorry if I babbled on and on

Allen L.    104
49 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

I agree with Allen...the last 10 years have been SUPER UGLY.... now air brush paint, solid colors only...yukkkk....and the few they did have by me, the over spray was so much, you would take hours ,with brake clean,cleaning off the overspray...sloppy QC in my opinion. And for others, think the same!! It's there own demise....and the idiots from coprate cause the demise,shame on them for there "Lack" of giving a rats you know what.... so in essence, they are finished, 1000's of gainfully employed people, now join the soup line, on the tax paying folks as ourselves...I hope the "higher ups" choke on the severance packages they fell they have "earned"....congrats to all the GFP coperate, board members and game planners, you outdid yourselves....just my rant, sorry if I babbled on and on

Hey Big J,

I just had to share some information after reading your post.  You are 100% correct about the paint and Quality Control issues.  The last 2 "Red Lamp Posts" I bought from GFP 3 years ago had problems.  The red base of the "Lamp Posts" started losing their red pigment color, after only two Christmas seasons.  The red color pigment in the plastic started to fade out.  The plastic was turning back into a milk jug looking color.  I can't understand why the sun was destroying the "Red Lamp Post Base".  My thoughts are that some sort of Government Environmental Regulation has changed the chemicals/processes in the manufacturing.  I had to get a can of red spray paint for plastic and fix them.  You shouldn't have to paint over colored plastic like that.  Just look at all the old "Red Lamp Posts", that Empire made 40 plus years ago, on Ebay.  You don't see the red pigment completely faded out of them.  This same issue is happening to one of my Large Street Pole (Municipal) Red Lanterns I bought about 5 years ago from GP Designs.  Since this is happening at both company's, then everything points to some kind of change to the process.  I had often wondered, if some sort of Government EPA regulations had caused GFP to change their paint too.  The new type of paints may not hold as well as the old style did.  This would explain why the new paint was so thick on the plastic.  Either way, the quality was going down for several years.  I wish another company would buy the molds and bring them back with better quality.  Although I'm trying to stay optimistic, in my heart I feel this is the end of our beloved vintage blow molds.

Allen

Franchise_24    69

Does anyone have any info or links to this Cado company people were talking about and what Christmas molds they have?

Big J Illinois    277

I am sure big brother has steppes in and said you must use garbage water borne paint and not the gods ol' lead based stuff. The plastic has gotten thinner... Looking at TPI and GP toy soldies for instance. ...same ago/ genere...I would take a TPI any day for durability. ..much thinker...the paint is more brilliant on TPI....just my opinion....

Mel Fischer    296
4 hours ago, Franchise_24 said:

Does anyone have any info or links to this Cado company people were talking about and what Christmas molds they have?

Here you go, just download each of the pdf files at the bottom of the page.

http://cadocompany.com/division.html

Mel

• Like 1

This made me so sad now. I was hopeing to keep colecting alot of the molds that I like but that dosent look like it is going to happen. So does this mean stores like menardswont have GF this season? I hope another company buys them and makes them again but I REALLY dont want them to make them cheaper than they alredy are. Im gonna have to start babying my molds again. I thinking repairs and repaints are in my near future. I have the full size nativity that I got for free last year. It was a kinda old one but now That things price is gonna skyrocket! ( not that I would ever sell it!) Im only a teenager but I have grown up with the blowmolds and vintage decor my parents and grandparents had. I hope the other kids don't lose this tradition and see what we all see in it. Ive got to keep my stuff togeter to pass it on to my kids now lol. 

• Like 2

RichardG    52
This made me so sad now. I was hopeing to keep colecting alot of the molds that I like but that dosent look like it is going to happen. So does this mean stores like menardswont have GF this season? I hope another company buys them and makes them again but I REALLY dont want them to make them cheaper than they alredy are. Im gonna have to start babying my molds again. I thinking repairs and repaints are in my near future. I have the full size nativity that I got for free last year. It was a kinda old one but now That things price is gonna skyrocket! ( not that I would ever sell it!) Im only a teenager but I have grown up with the blowmolds and vintage decor my parents and grandparents had. I hope the other kids don't lose this tradition and see what we all see in it. Ive got to keep my stuff togeter to pass it on to my kids now lol. 

To answer your question, all stores that placed orders will have their orders in stores this season. But after they are done producing their Christmas molds then they will start shutting down. So look for them in Menards cause it will be the last year under the GFP name. Here's hoping another company buys the aluminum molds and continues producing them.

• Like 1

Allen L.    104
5 hours ago, Lighting up Joliet said:

It makes me glad to see the younger generation, like yourself, share the same love for blow molds that the rest of us do.  Don't give up hope yet. 

• Like 1

Bill Ellick    5

Sad indeed!  I have accumulated around 170 or so molds over the years and this is another reason I want to hang onto mine longer now.
I made a large display with them and have many of the same types such as drummers. angels, trumpet angels (have 25 of these in different colors) choir people!
I want to replace all the C7 incandescent bulbs in them with dimmable C7 LED bulbs in some and pixels in some others but with my back problems I have not set up my display for the last couple of years.  I was thinking of selling some stuff but still have the idea that maybe I can set up some things so I hold out hope on a display yet!
Now I guess I will have to keep things just so they will not disappear entirely.  Especially when I see some molds sitting on the side of the road for pickup by the trash collector!  That is sad when many times the molds justs need some TLC and taking care of to bring it up to looking just fine.
Times change as do all things I guess and certainly business is business but can be sad to see an era going away.

• Like 3

slankard    49

Since I've retired from teaching last year and started painting houses full time, I'm mine own boss, so I've been able to hit all of the garage sales.  I've found some next to nothing prices on blow molds.  I was wondering if you all think that will affect garage sale prices.  I've noticed most people dumping blow molds don't have a clue of their value.  They just want rid of them.  Clearly this doesn't apply to the 'estate sales' pirates who no doubt will raise prices.

RichardG    52
Since I've retired from teaching last year and started painting houses full time, I'm mine own boss, so I've been able to hit all of the garage sales.  I've found some next to nothing prices on blow molds.  I was wondering if you all think that will affect garage sale prices.  I've noticed most people dumping blow molds don't have a clue of their value.  They just want rid of them.  Clearly this doesn't apply to the 'estate sales' pirates who no doubt will raise prices.

Simple answer is yes. Once word gets around. Knowing some people don't think they are made anymore. eBay prices will triple. They eBay sellers are already watching. Seeing if/when GFP has their warehouse sale.

• Like 1

Mel Fischer    296

It will be interesting to see what GFP has left for inventory when they close their doors.  It is my understanding that they have not made much more then customers ordered for several years now and if they didn't get combined orders for a minimum of 1000 pieces they did not make the blow mold.  I feel sure it will be much different then when Union Products closed their doors in 2006. they had thousands of blow molds in the warehouse at the time.  In 2006\2007 we made three purchases of the UP blow molds, 5and10.com was selling the 40" ones for $10 each with free shipping on orders of $150 or more.  We filled in a lot of holes in our collection of UP blow molds because previously we had not done much collecting of those.  A lot of the blow molds had stickers with the year they were made on the bottom and there were several from back in the mid to late 1980's which shows that they had been sitting in the warehouse for 15-20 years, I doubt very much that GFP will have many sitting around for that many years.  Grand Venture had several thousand blow molds left in their warehouse when they closed also, they sent us an inventory list of what they had at the time but we did not buy and of those, as I recall, someone in the Cayman Islands purchased all of them.

Mel

• Like 1