News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
RichardG

GFP Closing

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_b7a7b044-aef9-5bfb-8fe8-15cb85ea8590.html?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=Fredericksburg Business Insider&utm_campaign=Fredericksburg Business Insider

On 12/14/2017 at 6:28 PM, sathya44 said:

Hello Everybody. I've heard no updates from General Foam.  I've gone to the GF website.  It's still the same.  There are no updates.  The website doesn't say GFP closing.  Maybe things have changed.  The General Foam blow mold catalog is the same.  Let's still remain hopeful they find a buyer.  In fact, I'm planning to start a blow mold business myself with other partners.  I know that I'll succeed.  

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_b7a7b044-aef9-5bfb-8fe8-15cb85ea8590.html?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=Fredericksburg Business Insider&utm_campaign=Fredericksburg Business Insider

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/General-Foam-Plastics/reviews?start=20

General Foam Employee reviews...a few common denominators in the comments are: low pay (no raises), hot work conditions, bad managment and short breaks.

Souns like a sweat shop...literally. Haha.

I suppose they had to keep wages down due to competition from mexico and china.

More of the same here:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/General-Foam-Plastics-Reviews-E763475_P2.htm

such a sad article, although I am a huge fan of blow molds and pretty much any plastic based product they produced, I'm an even bigger fan of American jobs. One point in the article stated that the Mexico plant had found a buyer and most of the employees have been called back, its tragic that a buyer could not be found for this plant and those guys get called back, new products developed, raises, 401k, etc. I wonder if the primary investors were tired of loss? tired of holding stock? Made the money they wanted? was the plant in poor condition, machinery out of date with little or no replacement parts available? We may never know, but what we do know is (as the article states) over a hundred employees are wondering what to do, how to pay the bills, etc. 

Like I stated above I'm a huge fan of blow molds, I love them for most any holiday, They have a "old time" feel to them and I reflect on my grandparents decorations from days gone by. Let us not forget the people who lost their way of life with this closing, pray for their guidance through difficult times (if any should arise from this) and even though it sounds silly, or childish, look at all of your vast mold collection (or small one like mine) and take this into consideration, someone, paid their rent making that candle, someone bought their first car making that Nativity set, someone bought groceries making the camel that you are so proud of. Not sure about you guys but each and every piece in my collection has a story to tell, that I didn't hear before, and what I took for granted with the "I'll just buy another one"  attitude, just got a little more sacred to me. Im sure there will be an out pour of new molds from various companies in the near future, and that's great....but they most likely wont have American blood, sweat and tears embedded in each and every one of them. 

Well, I have ranted long enough, my wife says I let the closing get to me because it happened a few states over and because Christmas was involved. Thanks for reading...Don

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scrooge said:

You think this closing was bad...try driving through detroit sometime. 

trust me I have seen Detroit and it's tragic as well, I think gf closing got next to me like my wife said, it's close to home and Christmas related. Hopefully a new business will grow in that building soon and get everyone back on track. 

While taking down the Santa Sleigh and reindeer....saw the GFP stamp....sad!

also got me thinking...we have all this Coro stuff for RGBs, but there are no blowmolds designed to fit the pixels.  I have gutted previous blowmolds to convert them over to RGBs.  

Edited by qberg

Was hoping to get 6 more reindeer to complete my sleigh decoration.  Guess that probably won't happen now for a reasonable price.

On 1/11/2018 at 8:09 PM, qberg said:

that guy in Minn has a bunch in that $15k lot he is selling.   They will show up.

What are you talking about?

Not sure what you’re referring to, but says page can’t be found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk