News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Christmas on the Farm

New Neighbor, Seen the Display and Wants it to Stop

Looks like I was the last to post in this category so here I go again.

I saw a new neighbor moving in while on the tractor.  So I stopped to introduce my self and see if he would like me to disk his weeds while I was at it.

He was very friendly and all went well until he stopped me from walking back to my tractor with; wait a minuet, we have been out to see your christmas display for many years.  Your done doing that right? We don't want all those cars driving down our street.  I was polite and said; well I plan on doing the display until I'm to old to.  In the conversation I got around to saying you knew about it before you rented here.  He ended by saying nice meeting you, we'll see about that display.   

Great.

• Confused 1

qberg    118
38 minutes ago, Christmas on the Farm said:

we have been out to see your christmas display for many years

simply....wow!  So he has been out to enjoy it, but wants to make sure no one else does now?  Talk about selfish

40 minutes ago, Christmas on the Farm said:

knew about it before you rented here

and he is renting the place?  He was familiar with the neighborhood before moving in, but it is not like he has a "stake" in the local property values.  Just worried about traffic affecting himself.  unbelievable!  Attack from the otherside....get in good with his wife and give her some lights for her to decorate their new home!  We all know the wife gets what the wife wants.

• Haha 1

Big J Illinois    286

I wouldn't worry about a scrooge.... kind of odd....all those cas driving down a street...when you have a tractor?? Wouldn't that be in the country? Hope he gets stuck and wants you to pull him out with that tractor. ...laugh is on him

Edited by Big J Illinois
  • Like 1

qberg    118
2 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hope he gets stuck and wants you to pull him out with that tractor

lol....karma!  If he does, show up with a strand of lights instead of a tow strap.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about it.  Just thought it was selfish to worry about slightly increased traffic (in the country) when you like the show.

Our home ranch is 150 acres and he is a 3rd of a mile down the road.

jfelix    6

This is my biggest nightmare. The older couples in my neighborhood ate moving out. This year ill have 2 maybe 3 new neighbors. Already spoke to one.

Can't believe the nerve of the guy. You move in, see the display every year, then hippie it stops. There's words for a person like that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This is crazy! Yes, I have been to your show so I clearly knew about it before I moved it... still decided to rent here.... just ignore the guy for now, most likely his kids? would be really upset if he was responsible for cancelling the christmas light show down the street

This concerns me too as I have a new neighbor, I think they did a walk through of the house when I had my lights up last year but I am not sure... guess I just have to wait and see if they say anything when the lights start going up!

mwalz    79

New Neighbors last year ext door to my display. Moved in when the yard was covered in Halloween stuff. He said I can come in to his yard as far as I want.

The nerve of some people. The night you turn the lights on send some sunglasses over there, wouldn't want him to be bothered by all the lights:lol:

qberg    118

I am safe on one side...I own the house!  The tenants rented Dec 15th....they saw it in full glory and love it!  Was a great way for them to meet a lot of neighbors too as the kids give out hot chocolate a couple weekends throughout the month.  

I only had one couple last year make a threat....They just moved in from Connecticut and were disappointed that not enough people decorate around here.  Told me I would have some serious competition next year!  

• Like 1

Rush0212    45

WOW aren't some people just unbelievable?

Ops new neighbor sounds like a real piece of work, or something!

But I can beat it! Ive had neighbors living next door for about 16+ years. They have 2 daughters [spawn of mentally ill, white trash]  For as long as I could remember the kids would come and play in my display [by play I mean run around and break stuff. I NEVER wanted it, but my mom would say you have to let them, so I did. They would come literally every other night run around, and have fum breaking stuff. Then the older ones birthday was in January, so scumbag mom would ask, you don't mind if scumbag jr brings a couple of her friends over do you? Well a couple of friends was 15 -20 screaming kids running around breaking things, and just annoying the hell out of me, every year!

At any rate, had a fallout with the scumbag dad, after he threatened me one day, and haven't talked a word since, which is REALLY good...

Fast forward to the year it all happen, when I would be outside at night enjoying display, and saying hi to  people. Both scumbag mom, and scumbag older daughter who now drives would leave their driveway, and if they saw me lay on the horn from the moment the hit the street till they got to the stop sign beeeeeepppppppppppp no stop,prolly an 1/8 mile. Now let me ask is the term scumbag low life fitting? On top of that I know where scumbag low life mom works, and have friends that work with her, she tells all her coworkers what a problem I'm becoming, till one of them put her in her low life place, saying wait a minute didn't you and your daughter go over there ALL the time!?!?!?

ccrowder    24

I guess I have been lucky.  The old folks in the neighborhood like more decorations being out as they have gone downhill in the past.  And with new families moving into the neighborhood with um.. old folks downsizing.. nothing brightens up the holidays like getting competitive dads to decorate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talked to the guy again today seem much more interested in my display so I asked wha the meant in our last conversation.  He stated that he and his wife moved out to the country for quiet and the had just discussed the cars before I showed up.  I relaid to him what the traffic load looks like nightly and the distance from house to house.  I don't think we have a problem anymore.

• Like 1

Rush0212    45

Thats great!!!!

My guess the talk with the wife went something like this:

You did what? You go, and apologize , and make peace now, or no piece later tonight!!!

• Like 1

Douggg    0

I would be worried.  Make sure you have cameras set up.  From the way you described your interaction it sounds like he might be the kind of guy who would visit your display in the middle of the night with a pair of wire cutters.  Let's hope not, but I have neighbors who do those kind of things.

Big J Illinois    286

What a shame that neighbors would do that...I beleive people like that have a special place ....I am thankful my neighbors watch over everything...and doesn't hurt that they beleive in the NRA...:rolleyes::D

Douggg    0
14 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

What a shame that neighbors would do that...I beleive people like that have a special place ....I am thankful my neighbors watch over everything...and doesn't hurt that they beleive in the NRA...:rolleyes::D

You make it sound like you or your neighbors would shoot someone if they pulled the plug on your display.  Glad to see you and your NRA neighbors have the Christmas spirit.  Where I live we forgive and don't shoot people petty crimes.

Big J Illinois    286

I wouldnt way ANYONE would shoot, but WE are protective of what IS ours....so let me ask Dougg....some person comes up and cuts all the wires to your display...totally trashing it, after you have spent many $$ on it.....countless hours....you just forgive them??  OR you have a gorgeous 68' pontiac firebird convertable and some low life keys it up...for no reason, other then stupidity,or nothing better to do?? It's a petty crime? I don't know where or how you where raised, but it's called respect.    Mind your own business and respect others property, possessions and leave well enough alone..    I think I vented,but for God's sake, don't think I am a vigilante by any means.  I don't think anyone would be happy if someone ,just, started hacking up your hobby, creativity and they would JUST forgive them....not where I was raised

Douggg    0

You will have to tell me more about the person.  Yes I would be upset, but the display/car can be repaired.  So if  you saw someone unplugging your display would you pull a gun on them?  What if they have a bigger gun and shoot you in self-defense before you can get a shot off?  Or what if it were a child or someone who was mentally ill?  Do you really think pointing a gun at them will teach them to have respect?  Or what if the person is trying to steal the copper wire from your display to get food or medicine to for a child.  Would you shoot them?  Why not help these people?  Not sure if you are Christian and believe in God; but if you do aren't you suppose to forgive?  Read the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man.

Guns aren't always the answer.  I think it's sad that in our society some of think using a gun will solve societal problems.  In many cases it lead to escalation of violence.  I could see you pulling a gun one someone and sometime later your house burns down.  Yes our world is filled with people who have no respect.  

We are way off topic.  I just hope you NRA types don't think guns teach respect.  I think the only way you are going to be able to teach respect is to have several thousand nuclear bombs.  But you know if you think about it, that hasn't worked out so well for the United States has it.  

Big J Illinois    286

Well...not sure why someone stealing the copper isn't able to work. I have always been taught to work . Society has TOO many mooches,that would rather steal then work for what they have...AKA democratic society....let's feed  off the working class WHO do work...that's worked SO well.    As for a child, as you say, I blame the parents for there stupididty... I am no lawyer, but YOU are responsible for ALL and ANY actions,that your child does, in terms of misconduct, til they are 18.   Guns are a great tool, for self defense. Kill or be killed and shoot if your life is in danger. I do belive there are castle laws?? I could be wrong.        I don't beleive any person has ANY right to steal...regardless of what medicine they are trying to buy.   Work though the problems you have. As for the whole christian aura, I gather, 1 of the 10 commandments is Thou shall not steal... I am not a holy person at all, nor do I portray to be.    What happened to common sense?? I would say, if someone is snooping around your house, wife, kids, display, ect, UNINVITED, they are up to no good...shooting them isn't an answer, but if harm where to follow....hmmmmm I wouldn't flinch to stop a threat to my family, house, personal possesions ect

Douggg    0

For some stealing copper wire is work because they can't get other work.  They are stealing to get food to feed their families and to survive another day.  Why do you call these people moochers?  These are good hardworking people who would like to have an honest job,  Only problem is those "good" honest jobs are now gone.  Either our business leaders and politicians moved these jobs to other countries where labor is cheaper or technology, (like the one used to run your light show) has eliminated thousands of thousands of job.

Is there much you can buy today that was made in America? 

Electronics/TVs?  Nope, mostly Korea and China.
Cars?  Yes some are made in the US, but most are assembled by workers in other courtiers.
What about the parts that are needed to build the cars.  Made by US workers?  Nope, outsourced to other countries. 
How about clothing?  America once made quality clothing.  Nope outsourced.
What about your medical care?  Chance are if you are part of a heath care organization your X-rays, lab work and other parts of your heath management has been outsourced to workers in other countries.   So this is even affecting doctors and health care workers.
Heck a lot of our food comes from other countries.
Where are all of these jobs you think these people can get?

Just drive across America and look at all of the boarded up shops and closed businesses which once employed American workers.  It's sad, very sad.  I recently visited my high school where I received what I believe was an excellent education.  The beautiful auto, machine and wood shops had all been converted into classrooms.  Thanks to our politicians turning our schools into education factories with "No child left behind"  Also mean not child get's ahead either.  And now with the common core, students aren't learning critical thinking skills and basic science concepts.  The state of Texas didn't want students to think for themselves and attempted to outlaw the teaching of critical thinking skills in grades K-12 not too long ago.

My friend I  think you are living in the past or what we would call the "good old days".  Yes I long for them too.  But wake up.  Take a look at what's going on.  Our politicians have sold our country out.  Any idea how much of American businesses and American real estate is owned by the Chinese?  Yes I remember them too but time has marched on.  Just think soon we will have auto-driving cars and trucks.  Any idea how many jobs will be eliminated, it's being estimated at over 10 million jobs.

Got a solution?

Yes when someone keys my car or a classic car like yours or steals copper wire I get mad.  (Boy they just don't make cars like the one you have.  +1)  But then I think how fortunate I am to live in America.  A country where politicians and Wall Street has taken every advantage of honest hard working Americans works to make as much money as they can while screwing us. Those strings of Christmas lights HomeDepot and Lowes sells us for a few dollars  which are made in China are assembled by slave labor.  If they don't meet the days quota they receive no food for the day.  Any what about all of that clothing we can buy so inexpensively.  That's made in countries by young kids and women who are forced to work and not allowed to attend school.  Many of these places don't even allow their employees to take a bathroom break.

Have you seen the factories in China America companies have had the Chinese build to make "American" products?  They are well over a mile long and employee over 100,000 workers and working to make the products you buy.  They work 6 days a week and are given 15 minutes to eat and grateful to American companies for employing them.

Yes your car might get keyed or your copper wire might be stolen by someone who needs food for their starving family.  Instead of getting mad, just think how lucky you are.  And then help your fellow man by paying someone (giving them a job) to paint your car or sell you copper wire until we as a society figure out what we are going to do with all of these unemployed people?

I agree with you people should have respect for one another, but just look at how Wall Street and American companies treat American workers....  Not all. but most aren't polite or show respect to their workers.  (Try calling Sprint or Comcast and see how you are treated as a paying customer.)

Can I ask you what would you do if you all of a sudden lost your job, burned through your savings, lost your house and became homeless?  Do you think you could get a job?  Companies don't hire right so how would you feed yourself and your family?  I will assume you will keep you gun?  Yes there are the 10 commandments, but I've found Christians don't even follow them.  Would you resort to stealing?    And then what if you become injured or ill and can't work for a few days chances are you would be fired.  What's more important obeying God's laws?  Societal laws? Or feeding your starving family?  

Before you say this can't happen to me or someone I know it probably already has.  This has happened to co-workers of mine.  What American companies and our politicians are doing to America is turning us into a third-world country.  

Boy are we off topic.  I hope this gives you another perspective on what's happening in our society. 

Big J Illinois    286

OMG we have gotten way off a topic of christmas....a final response to all the back and forth banter.    I am NOT in the old days by any means. I have worked two jobs to have have what i have.  Nothing has been handed to me.    I do drive older cars, paid for. Live within my means. And blame today's democratic fed society....the lies ,the broken promises.  I ,me and my family live WAY within our means. A small mortage. No car loans. No credit card debt. And yes, I COULD pay for my mortgage, flipping burgers. I weep for the younger generation.  I was raised in a family of 6 kids, and have to say, mom and dad did an outstanding job.   I have guys ,at my work make fun of what I drive (it's an 14 yr old car)  fun thing is , I don't have to keep up appearances.  Keeping up with the Jones...never.   funny thing ,is a laugh every month to the bank. Poor saps at work, have truck payments that is 3/4 of my mortgage.  Hey, if that's what floats your boat, I say go for it.  I guess I was raised, and instilled, with common sense. Never live outside your means.. I don't blame the government for anything of selling out.   It's idiots,  living to the beat of a differant drum and buying items ,they cant afford. Listen to the Styx song...Grand Illusion. Listen to it and tell me if I am wrong.     There are jobs out there. It may not be the dream job, but it's a job.  And finally, I do have to say, Dave Ramsey is a man worth listening to. He's a good ol' boy, and has ALOT of common sense. He has lost everything and lives within his means and now is a multi millionare.        So, asked, no I wouldn't steal to feed my family. I live within my means.     As for the idiots who has had so many hand outs from big brother,  are the ones stealing...

Douggg    0

You and I share the same values.  I'm with you, live within your means.  I drive a 14 year old car and never wash it.  My question is what if you can't live within your means?  You deplete your savings and flipping burgers doesn't cover expenses?  How would you feed your family?