News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Christmas on the Farm

New Neighbor, Seen the Display and Wants it to Stop

Well...I would say, sell all material possions...to pay off my house (it's been talked about) and if need be, downsize...I do know for a fact, that there is MORE than enough to live off of...always a back up.   As for living in your means, only YOU can make that decision...no one is holdin a gun to your head to buy that 450k house making 75 k a year... anyone whom thinks they can, are going to strapped ,and that spare bedroom, Murphy WILL move in. I am not worried in the least honestly. Let's get back to the forum:)

I keep asking what would you do if you run out of funds and lost your house.  This has happened to neighbors of mine and to people I have worked with.  With back to back hurricanes hitting the US I suspect a lot of people are going to be looking for shelter and food.  And you and you and the people of the NRA would stop them with a gun.

Nice chat...  Back to the forums. 

I am not overly worried at all...seating pretty good here... not to many worries, other then what's for dinner. I don't buy into all the dome and gloom, liberal news media hype, or the Clinton News Network BS...to bad for the neighbors, Co workers of yours. But if you allow it to happen and have no plan, you will fail

That's what people in Europe said 80 years ago.  How are you protected from natural disasters? 

WOW where did this topic go!!?!?!?!?

Ive only read part of it, but WOW Big J!!! I'm really staring to like you more!!!

moved in my new home this year from Colorado.  where I was  I was loved. everyone loved the display.   this year  im nervous I want it to be good  but I don't know what kind of response I will get from the new community I have moved to or my new neighbors  so we will see    but very nervous 

• Like 1

Thank you Scot for bringing this topic back around to where it needed to be. Two houses ago no one really decorated outside in my neighborhood. I was worried about theft, but I got my reindeer 90% off, so felt like I wasn't losing too much if it ever happened. Those reindeer are now 13 years old. Had some wires cut in one place, but figured it was possibly caused by some really messed up squirrel or rabbit who thought it was a psychedelic snake.

Last house EVERYONE decorated. Though I was still worried about theft, the children living on that street were annoying. I wasn't even in my 30s yet and I wanted them "off my lawn." One year, one bush netting was unplugged, most likely by someone playing hide and seek back there. Well, since I use LEDs, and plug everything into one, almost everything stayed off until I could fix it. Another year, some kids were brave enough to come to the door to tell me they accidentally unplugged it. Everything had iced over, and since that's extremely rare, they wanted to play on my property, slid, and tried to stop their fall by grabbing onto an extension cord, which would require a ladder to put back. This neighborhood also hired lawn care people, who were all about time and quantity rather than quality. Lost many lights due to their own weed wackers and hedge trimmers. They came every week even though nothing here grows in the winter.

Now that I'm at my current home, I have room to do practically anything light related without fear, but we still have animals that may try to defend themselves from a servant that "turned on" them. Last season I received a compliment note in my mailbox about them enjoying my display. I appreciated it so much that I kept it in the same box Ai keep some of my lights.

But back to the original issue, before this topic skewd onto some social/political tangent, when I moved to my new home, I was very much aware that it backs up to a "pumpkin patch". It has been there since 1996, so I was very knowledgable about the traffic it brings in. My pretty view is overrun by bright orange plastic fencing nets, and cars that almost reach to my property line, and stays that way until January because they convert to a more calmer "Christmas Tree farm." Now then, if I didn't have a young child, and was also completely ignorant of this event (even though google maps not only labels my neighbors property as the pumpkin patch, but also displays the property during October when they were in full swing) I'd've hoped that my realtor would have mentioned this during one of its many showings

The OP's neighbor might've not have had a realtor since they're renting, but already stated that they knew about the massive holiday event that's similar to my pumpkin patch story. My neighborhood was developed before the pumpkin patch idea was concieved, so to the eldery original owners, I do understand any inconveniences they may have, but many are moving out and downsizing while my generation is moving in. Any of us that has a problem with our holiday neighbor probably deserves any inconviences they receive. Some people will park on our street to avoid the crowd control $10 parking, but it's like 2-3 at most. So it's really not that bad. Although last year, I did notice one owner that's near the entrance block the entrance into his driveway by leaving out paint cans. I guess he was annoyed by all the people trying to use it to attempt a u turn. Knowing the way people in my town drive, I would worry more about having someone run over them and leave the contents all over the driveway instead.

Edited by UmmYeahOk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Scot Meyers said:

moved in my new home this year from Colorado.  where I was  I was loved. everyone loved the display.   this year  im nervous I want it to be good  but I don't know what kind of response I will get from the new community I have moved to or my new neighbors  so we will see    but very nervous 

I went through the same feelings when I moved 7 years ago.  A week before Halloween I started with my set up.  I said to my wife; now the neighbors will know somethings up.  I was used to people waiting for the show thanksgiving night but we had no one the first night.  Then after say 10 days it picked up and bigger then ever.  my new neighbors love it I bet yours will too. 

An update:  The same neighbor came by and asked if there was a way to shield my light (pictured) for his house.  The shop you see (980' away) is where he lives.  There is also a 4th leaf almond orchard in-between us now as well.   I said I didn't know of anything and shrugged my shoulders.

599931_2214809506323_1957114616_n.jpg

Edited by Christmas on the Farm

I swear our Christmas hobby makes us all paranoid.  I was burning a few limbs yesterday on my acre, and the fire dept. showed up.  Someone had turned me in.  Now, I wasn't mad because I'd known every since the city annexed our addition under the cover of night like the cowards they are (okay, that's another story) 13 years ago, that it was against city ordinances.  So, I'd always accepted the fact that some passerby might turn me in eventually.  But when the fireman told me the complaint came from someone in the addition, I immediately thought, "Someone is tired of my lights, and this is just the first salvo in their attempt to drive me out."  That's pretty paranoid, when you think that someone was simply asking the city to enforce the ordinance.  I spent hours trying to figure who I had hacked off., until I finally reassured myself this probably had nothing to do with my lights.  I hate acting like the nut who mows his lawn with the tin foil helmet to keep the Martians from reading his mind!

7 minutes ago, slankard said:

I swear our Christmas hobby makes us all paranoid. 

I think your right but its because we are the people that want to be good neighbors and do something good for the community.

I have (had) one neighbor that complained year after year.  The rest love the show.  I had stopped doing interviews, entering contests & advertising because of him.  Trying to make peace with him, just didn't help.  Last year he called the Sheriff.  He was told that light displays were not illegal.  Then he called our HOA.  Funny thing is he "should" have known the HOA president has the 2nd largest light display in the neighborhood.  

:pow: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fast forward to this year... He has (finally) moved away, and our display - my wife & I dressed up as Mr & Mrs Clause will be featured on the cover of our HOA magazine (it's a BIG community).  I think our traffic is going to get really heavy again!

Edited by Tim Bateson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim Bateson said:

Fast forward to this year... He has (finally) moved away, and our display - my wife & I dressed up as Mr & Mrs Clause will be featured on the cover of our HOA magazine (it's a BIG community).  I think our traffic is going to get really heavy again!

Free at last!

my worry is my neighbor to the west of me   see I own two 1 acre lots next to each other.  the one on the east lot has my house  the one on the west lot is undeveloped and sits between me and my new neighbor.   he had his roof replaced about a month and a half ago  and I let the roofer guys drive on my west lot to work on his house no problem  but they failed to clean up.   so I took my magnet sweeper  and swept up all the nails being nice to my neighbor  so he  nor I would pop a lawn tractor tire.   well needless to say I was doing this and as he got home he met me at the property line  and chewed me out for being on his property and cleaning up the nails.  he then called me weird  and told me to stay off his property.   that's the last thing I needed was a ticked neighbor  but needless to say  I marked the property line with little utility flags  so I would not end up on his yard when i mowed.  and sure enough   I popped my tractor tire on a nail that I had missed when sweeping.    all I wanted was to get along with my neighbors  now I worry they wont like me.  and I will have relation issues with them  so we will see will start slow this year and not go as big as I usually do and build up to TADA!!!

Funny how people who have lots of land with nothing on it are so possessive and wants you to stay off.  Yet your neighbor probably leaves the doors to his house open where he keeps his valuables. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, Scot Meyers said:

he then called me weird  and told me to stay off his property.  

I have heard so many stories of people wanting you to stay off their property or get a proscriptive easement on your property.  I guess the best thing to say is; good fences make for good neighbors. 

Hey Scott, I wouldn't worry in how big you go with the display...put up what you want and P### on him...you put your pants on the same way he does, breathe the same air...aren't you a tax paying citizen also? Don't let this clown decide what you can do on your property. If you want to paint the house blue with red polka dots, then I would say go for it. 

This is America, land of the do what ever you want unit it's illegal or you live in a community with a Home Owners Association.

Well now--this thread sure covered some ground!

TED