News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Mel Fischer

Halloween

21 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Now we know that the molds for the pumpkins with owls and pumpkins with cat still exist and that General Foam has them, hopefully someone will buy those and reproduce them again in the future.  Through the years there have been different opinions of who originally made those but no one has come up with any confirmed information on them other then word of mouth.  There have been guesses at either Tico Toys or Bayshore but as I said no one has come up with any real confirmation on it.  For that matter, I don't think I have ever seen one with confirmed original lighting.

Mel

Mel, when I bought those from GF, the lady working there told me that they produced the mold many years ago.  I don't know if that means that GF could actually be the original producer of it, but she did say that they produced it.  They are marked GF on the bottom of the mold, but that doesn't mean that GF is the original producer of those molds.  These molds also did not come with original light cords.  I had to buy those separate.  They do appear to be hand-painted sample molds though.  

1 hour ago, slankard said:

Jordan, PLEEEEASE move to my neighborhood!!  Broken Arrow, Ok. isn't that far a move and we'd help you set up!

I have visited Tulsa, OK which is pretty close to Broken Arrow.  It's a little hot there for my liking though!  I think it would cost a fortune to transport all of my molds there too! I think I have around 500 molds now between halloween, christmas, and easter.  

2 hours ago, Roadrunner000 said:

Very cool that you were able to acquire those pieces...especially with General Foam being so secretive about their products and dealing with general public.

I still can't believe I've been able to buy some of these molds.  The only reason I have been able to get many of these molds though is because GF is scheduled to shut down at the end of this year.  Many of the molds I've bought were never intended to be sold to the public, and were simply GF experiments and customer samples.  

My wife loves Halloween so it allows my inner Xmas to come out a bit. I built a coffin and have a small grave yard. Nothing too crazy but all the neighbors love it too. We usually play music the 30th and 31St for the trick or treaters

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Jordan Mills said:

Mel, when I bought those from GF, the lady working there told me that they produced the mold many years ago.  I don't know if that means that GF could actually be the original producer of it, but she did say that they produced it.  They are marked GF on the bottom of the mold, but that doesn't mean that GF is the original producer of those molds.  These molds also did not come with original light cords.  I had to buy those separate.  They do appear to be hand-painted sample molds though. 

Jordan,

As of tonight I do lean towards GF making the original ones, what with the lady saying they produced the mold many years ago and a Halloween newspaper ad from 1974 that I found tonight that shows the GF "Friendliest Ghost with Littlest Jack" and the pumpkin with cat together in the ad the odds are in favor that GenFoam did make them back then.  This new ad is the first confirmation I have found for at least one year the pumpkin with cat was made.

Mel

6 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Jordan,

As of tonight I do lean towards GF making the original ones, what with the lady saying they produced the mold many years ago and a Halloween newspaper ad from 1974 that I found tonight that shows the GF "Friendliest Ghost with Littlest Jack" and the pumpkin with cat together in the ad the odds are in favor that GenFoam did make them back then.  This new ad is the first confirmation I have found for at least one year the pumpkin with cat was made.

Mel

Mel, I'm glad you found that information.  I do think that the ones I have are one-of-a-kind in color though as I am pretty sure that the ones they produced were done in orange plastic instead of green and purple plastic.  I have only ever seen the orange ones on eBay, and they are usually pretty old, or look pretty old if you come across them on there.  I will be posting better pictures of these in the near future for everyone to get a better look at them.  I just need to find some extra hours in the day! 

On 11/1/2017 at 6:30 AM, Jordan Mills said:

The Linus came from GFP and is a 3-D print prototype.  

I do know that the Linus and many of the other molds are quite valuable and do promise to take very good care of them.  All of the gargoyles and tombstones are unique from each other as they have different plastic makeups and paint.  In fact, many of the molds you see are actually General Foam sample molds that have been hand-painted, or are experimental molds using different plastic color combinations.  The pumpkins with owls and pumpkins with cat are all molds.  These are prototype/samples with a different color plastic than what was ever mass produced.  I believe the ones mass produced had orange plastic.  They are General Foam as far as I know.  

I have been buying all of these molds from General Foam's clearance/liquidation sale in Norfolk.  I have spent a ton of money there and made almost a dozen 3 hour round trips there, but I think it has been worth it since I have been able to buy so many molds that were never intended to be sold to the public.  The green and red tombstones are the actual plastic colors.  They said they were experimenting with the plastics when it comes to the different colored molds.  

I do plan on sharing more pictures in the future and giving all of you more details into what I have bought from GF.  I have bought around 350 new molds from them this year which has cost a fortune, but I have ended up with some really cool pieces.  I think you all with really enjoy some of the one-of-a-kind molds I will be showing all of you in the coming weeks and months.  

Jordan,

Thank you for sharing all this information.  I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to more pictures!

TED

I do a Halloween display. It's small right now because I'm just starting out. Haven't owned this house too long.

I usually discuss the Halloween stuff in another forum. I have a toddler so I keep my stuff very kid-friendly and avoid the scary stuff.

57b78ba45d295b6be0a3839bfe69b383.jpg

I have a couple other little things that aren't in this shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, TED said:

Jordan,

Thank you for sharing all this information.  I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to more pictures!

TED

Here are pictures of most of the sample/prototype molds

IMG_20171015_180338447.jpg

IMG_20171015_180358488.jpg

IMG_20171015_180517478.jpg

IMG_20171015_180544275.jpg

IMG_20171015_180607897.jpg

IMG_20171015_180623846.jpg

IMG_20171015_180647034.jpg

IMG_20171015_180712125.jpg

IMG_20171015_180732487.jpg

IMG_20171015_180748100.jpg

IMG_20171015_180812857.jpg

IMG_20171015_180829491_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_180846232.jpg

IMG_20171015_180910219.jpg

IMG_20171015_180950081.jpg

IMG_20171015_180954952_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_181131584_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_181334594.jpg

IMG_20171015_181353406.jpg

IMG_20171015_181527725.jpg

IMG_20171015_181541455_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_183842305.jpg

IMG_20171015_183845854.jpg

IMG_20171015_183858004.jpg

IMG_20171015_183903391.jpg

IMG_20171015_183939417.jpg

IMG_20171101_171401435_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171101_173131336.jpg

IMG_20171101_173359948.jpg

IMG_20171101_173452791_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171101_173534729_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171101_173904130.jpg

IMG_20171101_174659778_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171101_174721818_HDR.jpg

Here are some pictures of the ones that all of you had the most questions about.  

IMG_20171108_105509571.jpg

IMG_20171108_105517541.jpg

IMG_20171108_105522543.jpg

IMG_20171108_105537601.jpg

IMG_20171108_105657247.jpg

IMG_20171108_105710068.jpg

IMG_20171108_105743752.jpg

IMG_20171108_105759933.jpg

IMG_20171108_105828529.jpg

• Like 3

WOW!!! Thanks so much for posting all of these.  I am in awe from what I'm seeing.  Who knew that they tried to bring back some of the old goodies....the sparkly green Bayshore Haunted House, the Bayshore(?) Pumpkin and Kitten & Pumpkin and Owl, and how about that Linus that never made it to production.

It drives me crazy to think that I was pissed off at them for making the same ones over and over each year.  Little did I know that they tried, but some marketing reps or whoever decided against it.  😡

Edited by donna123

Thanks for posting all the pictures, they are wonderful.  Did Kev Provost contact you about pictures for blow-molded.com?

I talked to GenFoam today about the pumpkin with cat and pumpkin with owl.

Mel

1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

Thanks for posting all the pictures, they are wonderful.  Did Kev Provost contact you about pictures for blow-molded.com?

I talked to GenFoam today about the pumpkin with cat and pumpkin with owl.

Mel

I have not been contacted by him yet, but someone else has given me his contact information.  I probably need to take some better pictures of some of the molds if they are going to go on blow-molded.com.  Did GenFoam have anything to say today about those molds? 

5 hours ago, donna123 said:

WOW!!! Thanks so much for posting all of these.  I am in awe from what I'm seeing.  Who knew that they tried to bring back some of the old goodies....the sparkly green Bayshore Haunted House, the Bayshore(?) Pumpkin and Kitten & Pumpkin and Owl, and how about that Linus that never made it to production.

It drives me crazy to think that I was pissed off at them for making the same ones over and over each year.  Little did I know that they tried, but some marketing reps or whoever decided against it.  😡

I think most of us were thinking exactly what you were thinking.  I had no idea they had been experimenting with different plastics and paints to bring some much needed variety to the blow mold selection in stores.  

9 minutes ago, Jordan Mills said:

I have not been contacted by him yet, but someone else has given me his contact information.  I probably need to take some better pictures of some of the molds if they are going to go on blow-molded.com.  Did GenFoam have anything to say today about those molds?

I thought he would have contacted you by now, we discussed his contacting you several days ago.

No GenFoam didn't say anything about the particular ones at the time I talked to them, they gave me the information on where to send pictures of the pumpkins with cat and with owl so they would know which ones I was referring to.  I sent pictures of the original orange and black ones, your picture of those that you posted today and a newspaper ad from 1974 showing the pumpkin w cat and a "Friendliest Ghost Carrying a Littlest Jack Pumpkin".  Now hopefully they will be able to identify the ones I was asking about and tell us if they were the original producers of them.  I am sure I will not hear anything from them today as they are closed for the day, they close at 4:30 pm eastern time,

Mel

Awesome. Thanks for the pics. Still very jealous over that Linus lol

I would kind to do a Disney/kid friendly Halloween. Right now I just have a mickey and minnie led wire frame from Lowes and the Disney projector. But I'd love to add to it next year. Nothing as big as what some of you have done, although there are some pretty elaborate displays in our neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have a toddler so I have to keep my Halloween very kid-friendly since she gets scared easily.

I have a toddler so I have to keep my Halloween very kid-friendly since she gets scared easily.

Yeah, I have a 4yo, 2yo and one on the way, so we will be keeping it kid friendly for a while to come. I like your setup. Where did you get the projector? In really trying to do Disney, but there really doesn't seem to be much out there. I did pick up the mickey and minnie air blown at Walmart for half off, even though I'm not usually a fan of air blown figures.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hey Jordan, those are SUPER peices you have!!! My favorite is the black pumpkin, I did see the all white skeleton in the box at a Ace hardware locally. I didon't like the cheap looking decal they used one it, so I passed. Also, on the purple witch...was that a 1 of only or did it make production? I may have one of those, or is mine differant? 

20170617_103250-1.jpg

Edited by Big J Illinois

6 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hey Jordan, those are SUPER peices you have!!! My favorite is the black pumpkin, I did see the all white skeleton in the box at a Ace hardware locally. I didon't like the cheap looking decal they used one it, so I passed. Also, on the purple witch...was that a 1 of only or did it make production? I may have one of those, or is mine differant? 

The witch's paint scheme did make it to production because I was able to buy several of them that were production molds.  The biggest difference between a production mold and a sample mold will be in the quality of the paint job.  Samples will have crisp lines that were taped in painting, and many will have a clear top coat to protect the paint.  Both of your witches look like production molds to me because I can see some overspray in the paint job. 

On 11/8/2017 at 10:00 AM, Jordan Mills said:

Here are pictures of most of the sample/prototype molds

Jordan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to take all those pictures and post them!  There are so may cool things there!

TED

On 11/8/2017 at 3:07 PM, Mel Fischer said:

I thought he would have contacted you by now, we discussed his contacting you several days ago.

No GenFoam didn't say anything about the particular ones at the time I talked to them, they gave me the information on where to send pictures of the pumpkins with cat and with owl so they would know which ones I was referring to.  I sent pictures of the original orange and black ones, your picture of those that you posted today and a newspaper ad from 1974 showing the pumpkin w cat and a "Friendliest Ghost Carrying a Littlest Jack Pumpkin".  Now hopefully they will be able to identify the ones I was asking about and tell us if they were the original producers of them.  I am sure I will not hear anything from them today as they are closed for the day, they close at 4:30 pm eastern time,

Mel

Well I did hear from General Foam with the usual type of reply.

"Dear Mr. Fischer,

At this time, we do not have any available documentation on the blowmolds  items that you are requesting information.  Many of the company employees that were around during the making of early 70’s blowmolds are no longer with the company.  We regret that we can’t further assist you in your endeavor.

Sincerely,"

I asked them about their catalog archive and if they could check the 1974 Halloween catalog for information and they replied

"Unfortunately we do not have access to those catalogs. We do apologize for any inconvenience. "

Each reply was from a different person.

Mel

13 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Well I did hear from General Foam with the usual type of reply.

I asked them about their catalog archive and if they could check the 1974 Halloween catalog for information and they replied

"Unfortunately we do not have access to those catalogs. We do apologize for any inconvenience. "

Each reply was from a different person.

Mel

It would be nice if they would share the catalogs.  They probably already have scans of them.  I can't see how they would be hurt in any way especially now that they are closing.

TED

9 hours ago, TED said:

It would be nice if they would share the catalogs.  They probably already have scans of them.  I can't see how they would be hurt in any way especially now that they are closing.

TED

Agreed, I do not know why they do not have access to the catalogs but I have a tendency to think that they are probably working with a skeleton work force by now and possibly they do not have the help to try accessing them.  They are probably pretty involved in getting everything ready for closing down permanently.  Apparently as of about a week ago they had not found a buyer yet as the first person I talked to said they hoped someone would buy them.

Mel

I inquired about the catalogs when the announcement was made. Sadly they weren’t able to do much. As a business they were able to give me a few but it was ones everyone already had.

As for a skeleton crew. Oh yeah. When the announcement came that they were closing everyone left. The factory had to halt production and cancel over $2 billion in orders cause there was no way they would make them. Half of my order was cancelled. :/