News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
xenon

It may not be the best way, but

it works for me.

I hate to get a new or even used blow Mold and have to drill holes in it to put stakes through.

so here is what I do.

buy cheap cedar (it will not rot) 1" x 6" x 6' fence board, usually about $2 or so

cut 2 pieces, one just large enough to go inside blow mold, (it needs to be wider than the hole, wider is better), second piece several inches wider than the blow mold

drill 2 hole in the wider piece, out towards the end.  hole should be slightly larger than the stake that you use

put smaller piece in blow mold, use a wood screw or two ( I usually use sheet rock screws, much cheaper)

put stakes through the two holes and your blow mold is in place.

100_4096.JPG

100_4097.JPG

100_4099.JPG

100_4100.JPG

That is a good way to do it, for over 10 years we used something somewhat similar for all our blow molds only a little more elaborate and we painted the wood pieces black so they didn't show up as much when the display was lighted.  When we took the display down we took the wood off and dried and stored it along with the blow molds for use the next year.  We would still be doing them that way but due to health problems we no longer can do a display.

Mel

Depending on how ones storage is setup I could see using the wood to possible hang them then if needed upside by that wood

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

On 11/1/2017 at 1:46 PM, Mel Fischer said:

That is a good way to do it, for over 10 years we used something somewhat similar for all our blow molds only a little more elaborate and we painted the wood pieces black so they didn't show up as much when the display was lighted.  When we took the display down we took the wood off and dried and stored it along with the blow molds for use the next year.  We would still be doing them that way but due to health problems we no longer can do a display.

Mel

As I was reading the original post I was thinking, "Oh, that's similar to Mel's method!"

TED

11 hours ago, TED said:

As I was reading the original post I was thinking, "Oh, that's similar to Mel's method!"

TED

Ted, I'm surprised you remembered our method, it's been many years since I posted anything about that.  It's been so many years that I can't find the pictures now that I posted with the information back then, I wanted to re-post them in this thread.

Mel

Hey, now I get to tell my wife I have been doing something right.

No I better not, its hard enough working together  10 hour days to get our decorations up.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:29 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Ted, I'm surprised you remembered our method, it's been many years since I posted anything about that.  It's been so many years that I can't find the pictures now that I posted with the information back then, I wanted to re-post them in this thread.

Mel

I have a kind of weird memory.  I can clearly remember things that happened way back but I have a very hard time remembering simple things like I need to take a certain tool with me when I leave today.  I do remember how you used the 2 pieces of wood with a T nut on the top one that was inside.  The blowmold was kind of sandwiched between the top piece of wood on the inside and the bottom piece of wood on the outside.  I don't remember every detail but it seems like you used a piece of conduit for the stake.  I don't quite remember how the stake attached to the wood.  I do remember the most important thing was that you designed so that no holes needed to be drilled in the 'mold.  :D

TED

Edited by TED

That would be your choice but to a purist any new holes matter.  I seldom buy any blow molds with additional holes unless they are very rare ones and those are upgraded in the collection when possible, but then I am known and have been condemned at times for being a purist.

Mel

7 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

would it matter if I put 2 small holes in garage sale find molds?

Big J....I look at all my Christmas display items the same way as my car.  I could put it under a cover in the garage and in 10 years it will be pristine, but have I enjoyed it?  If you display the blowmolds....they will age, fade, get a couple scratches and lose value, but along the way you enjoyed them along with all those who visit.  Does a couple small holes matter?  

Now if you are looking to buy those blowmolds as collectors items ... don't modify them.

Edited by qberg

I paid 50 cents to a dollar for each soldier at a garage sale, all 29 of them! They did have a 2" hole drilled in the bottom already(I don't know why). I don't think a few holes will matter in this case:) Ya'll are right, if I where to collect them, no holes at all!! 

20 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hey Ted, would it matter if I put 2 small holes in garage sale find molds?

14 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

That would be your choice but to a purist any new holes matter.  I seldom buy any blow molds with additional holes unless they are very rare ones and those are upgraded in the collection when possible, but then I am known and have been condemned at times for being a purist.

Mel

The way I look at it is that some people fall more on the collector side of the scale and some fall more on the display creator side.  I think both points of view have merit.  I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle (with most of us probably being skewed towards the collector side of the middle).  I can certainly understand why some people do not want to make any holes in or modifications to their 'molds.  I appreciate their dedication.  It can be a tough call.  I think the more rare an item is the more important it is to maintain it in unmodified condition.  From a practical point of view there may be times when it's better to have the item with a slight modification rather than risk getting it stolen.

TED