News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

ChristmasKitten

How do you raise money for your show?

Do you expect people to contribute money to you to help you put on a show? Most people that collect money do it for a charity. Remember, this is a hobby. You need to find your own way to  support your hobby. I would never ask for money from someone else for my show. If they did give me money I would donate it to my local food bank.

• Like 1

You must have miss-read/interpreted what I meant, I am putting out a box for our town's House of Compassion. I just want to find a way to earn money for the show. Ex. mow a neighbor's lawn.

If you are trying to raise money for a charity say so. When you say you are trying to raise money for you show, you are saying that you want money to put on the show.

Just put a sign in your yard that you would like to have people donate to "House of Compassion" if they like your display. You can have a box beside the sign. 

56 minutes ago, Dougp said:

If you are trying to raise money for a charity say so. When you say you are trying to raise money for you show, you are saying that you want money to put on the show.

Just put a sign in your yard that you would like to have people donate to "House of Compassion" if they like your display. You can have a box beside the sign. 

This whole thread is weird, it's very cryptic. 

First they ask how to raise money FOR their show... Someone says to get a job and support your own hobby, then they say it's for a charity and in the next breath say they want to raise money FOR the show, like mowing lawns. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChristmasKitten said:

Clarification:

The box is for the House of Compassion (a charity)

The work is to expand the show itself

Sorry for the confusion:)

One thing that you must always remember in life. If you want help, you must communicate exactly what you are asking. We can read your mind.

5 minutes ago, Dougp said:

One thing that you must always remember in life. If you want help, you must communicate exactly what you are asking. We can read your mind.

*can't

But I get what you mean (unless you can read my mind)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristmasKitten said:

You must have miss-read/interpreted what I meant, I am putting out a box for our town's House of Compassion. I just want to find a way to earn money for the show. Ex. mow a neighbor's lawn.

I don't think I misread/interpreted what you meant. No where in your original post did you say you are putting out a box for charity. 

4 hours ago, JerryK said:

Do you expect people to contribute money to you to help you put on a show? Most people that collect money do it for a charity. Remember, this is a hobby. You need to find your own way to  support your hobby. I would never ask for money from someone else for my show. If they did give me money I would donate it to my local food bank.

• Like 2

A minor....could be 17??...I had a job when I was 15,mom and dad had to sign a waiver SO I could work. ...at 16 I worked full time in the summer and part time during school and when I turned 17 (early birthday) I worked full time since...no hand outs, and anything I have bought...all on me... I don't use donation boxes.  Kind of needy sounding.. it is a hobby after all..so, start mowing,raking,cleaning, collecting and get used to calloused hands,sore muscles and a pride in what you accomplished by doing so. Any person that has stopped by and rang the door bell to "donate" HAS been turned away and told to keep there money. We do ,however ,condone donations of old christmas lights,items as such, to incorporate to the display. Working or not,old or new incandescent or LED,ect. It's about what you can do ,on your own dime,for the enjoyment of others. Not to have a hand out and relying on others, for your own gain. That's my rant,but nothing irks me more,then the mooching, free loading I have seen on this forum. 

• Like 1

I would say this time of year you could rake leaves, mowing yards is summer work not fall winter... Also if your really into Christmas decorations. maybe ask your neighbors if they wanted to have some help putting up there lights and maybe get paid that way Ive done that once when i was jobless. or maybe sell things of yours that you don't really need, I just sold a old Xbox i had with games and all for $50 and i went straight in walmart and got $40 more worth of lights and some other odd n ends thing for Christmas decoration stuff..

Being young or not if your not working there is sometimes things you can do to make a lil money, Im out of work myself right now hoping i can get hired back where i was working but have to wait 6 months.. ive kept myself busy doing other things needed tho while ive not been working. good luck

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

I don't use donation boxes.  Kind of needy sounding

I agree, my original post was misworded, sorry.

3 minutes ago, PCguy said:

if your really into Christmas decorations. maybe ask your neighbors if they wanted to have some help putting up there lights and maybe get paid that way

I had thought about it, guess I better try it.

I'm 20, been running a lawn and landscape service for 8 years since I was 12. It helps me live my life how i want which includes spending a ton of money on Christmas and Halloween. (Check website link for display pics) I don't have any help buying stuff.

As far as Charity donations, Sign with a locked box that's hard to steal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChristmasKitten said:

maybe ask your neighbors if they wanted to have some help putting up there lights and maybe get paid that way

I saw a couple local painters offering this service this year.  Guess it is a way to balance out the slow months. 

If you do this though, you may need to look into insuring yourself....otherwise if you fall off the ladder on someone elses property their homeowners insurance is responsible and they may not want the risk.

Totally confusing post at first.... but I think you are looking for suggestions for both how to raise money for a charity AND how you can personally go make some dough to spend on your hobby.

1. Totally support collecting for charity, as long as you are actually donating ALL THE MONEY. If you plan to keep any of it, you need to make that 100% clear to the people seeing the show. Make sure you clearly state in your voiceover (if you have one) or on your sign that ___% (hopefully 100%!) is donated to charity X and you actually do it. Quickest way to stop people from coming ever again is if they find out you are scamming them (its probably also illegal). NOT SAYING YOU ARE, but just reminding you of good communication habits!

2. Use this hobby to make money. I fund my personal show by helping others put their own show or lights up. Specifically I help one local church program their show, set up the lights and take them down. I make enough from that one job that if I wanted to I could buy a new LOR box every year and almost enough lights to fill all the channels, but seeing as how I have a family I don't (kids/wife Christmas presents are expensive lol). Don't think its easy money either. You may need to advertise, get insurance, get a contract to clearly state the work you are doing, pay taxes on what you make, etc...  I personally have insurance that covers me being on a ladder and working with electrical services, its about $1500... so you need to make that plus more to turn a profit.

3. Depending on how old you are, I suggest looking at UPS, FedEx or another delivery service, they hire a ton of seasonal help this time of year and pay really well for it. Again you will work hard, but get more than enough to fund your hobby. Plus it looks good on college/ first job resumes

4. Leaf removal- knock on neighbors doors, ask if they want their leaves done. You can even hand our flyers about your show as you knock on doors, they will learn about your show and know you are using the money for something the community enjoys!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 55cgas said:

How old are you?

By looking at his profile with his birthday listed, he is 14. This post was very confusing from the start. At that age I raked  a lot of leaves which made me money. Also had a paper route but I think that job is a thing of the past. Good luck with your quest to make money. There are lots of people willing to pay for help. Be creative and persistent and you will be successful.

Tom

• Like 1

Agreed Tom! I am happy to hear the same thoughts..I raked ALOT of leaves,cut down ALOT of rose canes and winterized ALOT of people yards for money..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBS99 said:

By looking at his profile with his birthday listed, he is 14. This post was very confusing from the start. At that age I raked  a lot of leaves which made me money. Also had a paper route but I think that job is a thing of the past. Good luck with your quest to make money. There are lots of people willing to pay for help. Be creative and persistent and you will be successful.

Tom

Yes, at 14 I was finding ways to make money... Mow lawns, Shovel snow, Paper route, Rake leaves, Put up Christmas lights, Odd jobs (fixing stuff), Christmas Tree lot... There are plenty of things you can do to make some money at 14, ONE thing NOT to do, is charge people to look at your display.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ChristmasKitten said:

For that, I got a shorter one of these. Should stay put when the ground is frozen.

35150131.jpg

If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to steal it. Not to shoot you down but if you tie it off with that then thieves could cut the wire. It's a good deterrent, I would consider concreting it in the ground or something similar.

I read every post in this entire thread and still have no idea what this is about.
There been no clarity on what "House of Compassion" is or "the show". The only thing I get is that the kid wants to get some money.
...something about a charity of some sort...something about a show. A very weird thread.

All I know is at 14, I wasn't raking yards or anything fun like that. At 14, is was a "spooner" on the "slime line" in a fish cannery in Alaska. I was the youngest employee working with a lot of tough, weathered commercial fishing type guys. It was intimidating and I was the brunt of many practical jokes. It was loud and miserably cold all day, everyday. Gross as hell too. Fish blood and guts all over the place everyday. You had to wash your clothes in distilled white vinegar if you had any hope of trying to get the smell out. Usually even that didn't help and you could never get the smell out. Most of us had a set of work clothes that we simply threw away at the end of the season.

Anyway, good luck with your box, charity, show, job...whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mwalz said:

If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to steal it. Not to shoot you down but if you tie it off with that then thieves could cut the wire. It's a good deterrent, I would consider concreting it in the ground or something similar.

Yes, it is a deterrent, but stealing would be difficult as I have steel cable to attach it, and the stand is made of two by sixes/fours.

6 hours ago, Tired_Yeti said:

There been no clarity on what "House of Compassion" is or "the show"

The House of Compassion is a local charity that feeds and occasionally houses the homeless. The show is my Christmas display.