News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

donna123

Pink Gingerbread Tree

I know I recently read a comment from someone, (I don't remember who it was) that said they never saw the pink version of the Union Gingerbread group.  I realized that just finding a pic of them is not easy, but I just came across this one of just the tree.  

image.png

39 minutes ago, shane page said:

I just thought it was a from sun fade.

I know what you mean, I have seen many comments about fading tan to pink, but one time I saw the entire grouping on ebay and it listed them as painted pink. 

18 hours ago, donna123 said:

I know I recently read a comment from someone, (I don't remember who it was) that said they never saw the pink version of the Union Gingerbread group.  I realized that just finding a pic of them is not easy, but I just came across this one of just the tree.

I'm not crazy about the color but the price is not too bad considering that it's a fairly hard to find piece (at least in that color).

TED

20 hours ago, donna123 said:

I know what you mean, I have seen many comments about fading tan to pink, but one time I saw the entire grouping on ebay and it listed them as painted pink. 

I think I might have some that color, I will have to look. I never paid any attention to it because I just figured the sun did it.

3 hours ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

Those are in fact pink. They are listed in I believe one UP catalog.

Thanks Blow Mold Expert! 

I don't see any of the gingerbread pieces in pink in the Union catalogs or price lists, they had the mauve angel and Mrs. Claus in an insert in the 2001 catalog no gingerbread though.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

2 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

I don't see any of the gingerbread pieces in pink in the Union catalogs or price lists, they had the mauve angel and Mrs. Claus in an insert in the 2001 catalog no gingerbread though.

Mel

I may have been getting it confused with the blue gingerbread snowman listed in there. The blue is actually a blue bulb, the actual blow mold is pure white.  

1 hour ago, westislipxmas said:

This is how the tan faded from sun. I purchased these brand new in tan. Now they are pink

This is interesting.  Would it be possible to post a pic of them so we could see the color?  I would think that if it was just fading tan paint then there would be plenty of pink ones out there, but there aren't.  It's so hard to find any or even just pics of them.  The one above shows the back which clearly has pink paint all the way around.  It would have had to fade all the way around, completely even fading all the way around the tree.  I have never seen a blow mold faded to a completely new color all the way around it so that it looks like it was painted a different color.  I hope you will post some pics. Thanks, Donna

Edited by donna123

Just found another pic showing a pink gingerbread boy/girl.  The blow mold is pink on both sides.

image.png

image.png

image.png

That sure looks pink but nothing like the tree in the first post. I thought I seen some gingerbread items were remade a couple years ago maybe the pink was made then.

1 hour ago, shane page said:

That sure looks pink but nothing like the tree in the first post. I thought I seen some gingerbread items were remade a couple years ago maybe the pink was made then.

Cado / Union Products is making a few of the gingerbread now, they don't show any pink ones in their catalogs.  They started making them in 2013.

Mel

Thanks Mel, I dont why that one is pink and I dont think that one is paint fade. Maybe someone repainted it, does anyone have any other pics of a pink one?

It should be noted that the Cado produced Tree and Gingerbread people are tan plastic and not painted tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they stopped making the ginger bread men an the trees I just ordered some from home depot should be here monday 

On 11/13/2017 at 9:54 AM, donna123 said:

This is interesting.  Would it be possible to post a pic of them so we could see the color?  I would think that if it was just fading tan paint then there would be plenty of pink ones out there, but there aren't.  It's so hard to find any or even just pics of them.  The one above shows the back which clearly has pink paint all the way around.  It would have had to fade all the way around, completely even fading all the way around the tree.  I have never seen a blow mold faded to a completely new color all the way around it so that it looks like it was painted a different color.  I hope you will post some pics. Thanks, Donna

I have a couple gingerbread snowmen that have faded to pink over the years it's just what happens to certain ones when they're in the sun. If you look at the gingerbread series you can tell the paint has been changed during production runs of these. Some years they were browner other years they were tan and then there was a time the paint had more of a yellow tint to it. I think the pink fading was just because of a formula mixture during the certain run of them and that's why there's only a few pink ones out there but I can testify that my tan gingerbread did indeed turn pink over the years and they were not bought in the pink color

2 hours ago, jlknox11 said:

I have a couple gingerbread snowmen that have faded to pink over the years it's just what happens to certain ones when they're in the sun. If you look at the gingerbread series you can tell the paint has been changed during production runs of these. Some years they were browner other years they were tan and then there was a time the paint had more of a yellow tint to it. I think the pink fading was just because of a formula mixture during the certain run of them and that's why there's only a few pink ones out there but I can testify that my tan gingerbread did indeed turn pink over the years and they were not bought in the pink color

Agreed, other than the commonly missing bow the very lightest tan ones are the only way to know if one is the early 2000's rare Farley one made after Union stopped producing them. I am fortune to own a pair in great condition with original Farley stickers on both the molds and cords.

Edited by The Blow Mold Expert

1 minute ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

Agreed, other than the bow the very lightest tan ones are early 2000's rare Farley ones after Union stopped producing them. I am fortune to own a pair in great condition with original Farley stickers on both the molds and cords.

We have a pair of those also and if I remember correctly they have the Union Products name molded into them, a Farley sticker and TPI light cords.  Union Products had Farley make those for them in 2006 to fill orders they had and wanted to honor before they closed their doors.  They probably didn't have the work force left to make them as they had filed for bankruptcy by them.  Ours are still in pristine condition as they have never been displayed outdoors.

Mel

They are definitely pink, I remember them in stores in the 90's, I never bought them because I didn't have a need for pink trees. I did however buy a few gingerbread men/women and trees.

I just bought a gingerbread set and the house is pink. No fading.

I thought they stopped making the ginger bread men an the trees I just ordered some from home depot should be here monday 

Cado has picked up on making some of the Union molds including the famous pink flamingo.