News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

donna123

Pink Gingerbread Tree

48 minutes ago, RichardG said:

I just bought a gingerbread set and the house is pink. No fading.

Cado has picked up on making some of the Union molds including the famous pink flamingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard, how are the chances of seeing good pictures of the pink house?  Do you know who made that particular house,  Union Products, Farley, Cado?  Does it possibly have a year sticker on the bottom like a lot of the Union Products molds have/had?

Mel

Richard, how are the chances of seeing good pictures of the pink house?  Do you know who made that particular house,  Union Products, Farley, Cado?  Does it possibly have a year sticker on the bottom like a lot of the Union Products molds have/had?
Mel

Mel,
When I go outside later I can snap some pics of it. I believe it has a sticker but I’ll have to double check.

RichardG......#7710, 1994!!.....Hopefully the mystery will be solved :)

Edited by donna123

RichardG......#7710, 1994!!.....Hopefully the mystery will be solved default_smile.png

Seems so. The cat number is different from the ones listed on blow molded.

Not sure this is helpful, but seems in 1998 the Union Catalog had 2 price lists.  Both were effective as of January 1998.  One says CSA at the top and the other doesn't.  I have no idea what CSA stands for.  One list shows Gingerbread House #77100, Tree #77120 and Boy/Girl #77400.  The other list shows Gingerbread House #77107, Tree #77127 and Boy/Girl #77407.  

Could the "7" added to the catalog # mean it was a different color? 

* I want to add that the above #'s are for the Deluxe Gingerbread Group

Edited by donna123

32 minutes ago, donna123 said:

Not sure this is helpful, but seems in 1998 the Union Catalog had 2 price lists.  Both were effective as of January 1998.  One says CSA at the top and the other doesn't.  I have no idea what CSA stands for.  One list shows Gingerbread House #77100, Tree #77120 and Boy/Girl #77400.  The other list shows Gingerbread House #77107, Tree #77127 and Boy/Girl #77407.  

Yes it does. Union used a number system for new color variations where they would add a number in the last digit of the existing number corresponding with the chronological order of that edition. For example, the Union patriotic santa is number 75185, whereas the normal ones I've rthe years are 75180. I don't know why but the numbers appear to start at 5 in most cases. And then there's the union snowmen that seem to have random catalog numbers. So I'm not quite sure. But to answer your question, yes it is something union did at one point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardG said:

Seems so. The cat number is different from the ones listed on blow molded.

Kev has the wrong number for the regular gingerbread house, it should be the 7710.  The number he shows is for the Sparkle Gingerbread House that was new in 2004.

Mel

4 hours ago, RichardG said:

Here ya go Mel IMG_6332.thumb.JPG.9cca30999bb5619a751d81708d559988.JPGIMG_6333.thumb.JPG.72a0110a5716ca450f18e4e081550b98.JPGIMG_6334.thumb.JPG.0154f2ce0231868700caf6ef75878c05.JPGIMG_6330.thumb.JPG.ebe02d7d90ce8f5167eb9a044e7b6abf.JPG

Thanks Richard, no doubt that one was originally done in pink.  The 1994 is for the year that the gingerbread house was designed and the molds were made for producing the blow mold.  Union Products introduced the gingerbread house as new in their 1995 price list as their catalog number 77100.

Mel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donna123 said:

Donna,
Im not sure in this instance, but I have seen CSA used before as "Canadian Standards Association"

• Like 1

David, I think you are right about that,  when we were buying from TPI in Quebec we would get both price lists.

Thanks Richard, no doubt that one was originally done in pink.  The 1994 is for the year that the gingerbread house was designed and the molds were made for producing the blow mold.  Union Products introduced the gingerbread house as new in their 1995 price list as their catalog number 77100.
Mel

Mel,
So can we clarify is YES Union did this set in Pink? I’m hearing from another source that it’s the tan faded. But I’m trying to wrap my head around that lol.

10 minutes ago, RichardG said:

Mel,
So can we clarify is YES Union did this set in Pink? I’m hearing from another source that it’s the tan faded. But I’m trying to wrap my head around that lol.

The only way we can definitely clarify it as being made in pink is to see confirmation in print that Union Products made them in pink and what year(s) they did so but if yours was a tan one that faded to pink, it did so extremely even on front top and both sides without leaving a trace of the tan color.  What does the bottom look like was it painted anywhere?

Mel

Mel,
I’ll have to look tomorrow. It’s hard to tell right now, but here’s a picture of it lite.

IMG_6335.JPG

It doesn't look pink when lighted in the picture, but then a lot of the colors don't look the same when in the dark and lighted.  I couldn't count the times I have had to ask sellers what the colors are on their blow molds when they take the pictures in low light or when they are lighted.  They look so different then they do in daylight or a lighted area.  I have seem several GenFoam pumpkin candy pails that look yellow in the pictures and they all turn out to be a lime green color.  I have returned some for my money back because of that problem.  True yellow ones are very difficult to find.

Mel

I’ve noticed that issue as well. Actually those RBLs from Home Depot. The yellow looks lime green.
Tomorrow I’ll take some better pics and post. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this mystery.

Mel,
Here are pictures of the bottom of the house.

IMG_6347.JPGIMG_6348.JPGIMG_6349.JPG

Thanks Richard, even the bottom where it wasn't exposed to the sun shows no sign of tan paint fading to pink and personally I find it difficult to believe that is what happened to yours.  I would think it would show some tan paint residue somewhere on it if it was originally painted tan.  Pretty much everyone of the orange pumpkins that I have seen faded to yellow have some of the orange color left on them somewhere and the blow molds with red paint faded to white have some red residue somewhere on them.

Mel

You’re welcome Mel. So I guess we can unofficially say they in fact had a pink set. Just to find that one piece of the catalog lol

On 11/7/2017 at 8:59 AM, Big J Illinois said:

Way cool! Reminds me of the Little Debbie christmas tree snacks lolol:)

This year (like the last couple of years) the Little Debbie Christmas Tree cakes are available in Chocolate, Vanilla, and Red Velvet (which has green icing)!

On 12/1/2017 at 6:52 PM, Mel Fischer said:

It doesn't look pink when lighted in the picture, but then a lot of the colors don't look the same when in the dark and lighted.  I couldn't count the times I have had to ask sellers what the colors are on their blow molds when they take the pictures in low light or when they are lighted.  They look so different then they do in daylight or a lighted area.  I have seem several GenFoam pumpkin candy pails that look yellow in the pictures and they all turn out to be a lime green color.  I have returned some for my money back because of that problem.  True yellow ones are very difficult to find.

Mel

Wow--I have a couple of yellow Gen Foam pumpkin pails.  I believe I have one with the traditional face and one with the "whimsical" face.

On 12/2/2017 at 8:50 PM, RichardG said:

You’re welcome Mel. So I guess we can unofficially say they in fact had a pink set. Just to find that one piece of the catalog lol

I wonder if the pink version(s) could have been a special paint job for a particular customer.  We know Menard's has from time to time had 'molds with a different paint scheme.

TED

Edited by TED

I wonder if the pink version(s) could have been a special paint job for a particular customer.  We know Menard's has from time to time had 'molds with a different paint scheme.
TED

Ted
I wondered that as well. Of course no way of ever knowing unless a catalog shows up.